Rule Question on "Nurgle's Rot" Ability

By MR Suplex, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Nurgle's Rot states:

When this player successfully injures another player, search your Team deck and discard pile for 1 Rotter Lineman and commit him to this matchup. Then, shuffle your Team deck and discard pile together.

Does this mean that activating this ability starts you off with a fresh deck with no discards at all?

This seems like it could be very strong, and work something like a Sprint for the team (although it could be a double edged sword if you have only weak cards in your discard pile)

Actually had a follow up question on the Beast of Nurgle's "Immobilize" skill. It states that "players at this matchup cannot use the Pass skill". I assume this is intended to only be opposing players but the text of the rule would make it seem that all players are affected. Thoughts?

wow, that seems like a tough call, if I were playin id make sure to play all of my players that use pass first then bring out the beast, to avoid conflict. and it seems to be the beneficial thing to do, however it would be a good question to get an official ruling on.

Why would you assume that the card doesn't mean to say what it says? Seems like a reasonable ability even if it can be a double-edged sword. Not that errors don't ever happen, but that would be a pretty large oversight so unless there was reason to believe otherwise I'd default to assuming that the cards really do what they say they do

Edited by Oatmeal

I'm not assuming it doesn't mean what it says, I'm just making sure I am understanding what it says correctly, because it does seem quite powerful when used correctly.

well I think that for Rot you shuffle discard and deck together, and for Immobilize it applies to all players (since it does not say opposing)

Hmm, I think FFG is going to have to answer the Beast of Nurgle one via FAQ. Although reading it RAW, it does appear to effect all players, I just can't imagine that was the intent.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this one?

FYI the devs answered my question on the Beast of Nurgle "Immobilize" ability via email, and the answer is that it affects ALL players.

Definitely all players makes more sense from a game balance point of view. Same with the disease counters, incidentally - if you deploy a Rotter to a match up with the disease there, you get the disease.

This is a really interesting team mechanically, as there's a lot of thought involved on the plays. A disease-token spawning player is a bit of a double edged sword, as if it puts you ahead on the matchup its better than a player of 1 star power higher, but if you're still bhind after the play its worse than a player without that skill of the same star power.

Edited by Prepare for War

This is a really interesting team mechanically, as there's a lot of thought involved on the plays. A disease-token spawning player is a bit of a double edged sword, as if it puts you ahead on the matchup its better than a player of 1 star power higher, but if you're still bhind after the play its worse than a player without that skill of the same star power.

Yeah I agree. I had the chance to play them on Friday, and the disease tokens were definitely double-edged swords. They definitely deterred my opponents from playing at matchups, but they also deterred me from the same! I'm still wrapping my head around how to play this team, but it is an interesting one for sure.

Edited by MR Suplex