Mini-Campaign, Weapons of War

By Zaltyre, in Descent Quest Vault Open Beta

We've got access to a free quest editor, so I created some quests! Specifically, I wrote a mini-campaign, and I would very much enjoy hearing fellow player's opinions.

"Weapons of War" contains 4 quests:

Tidings of Gloom

The Minotaur

The Warrior's Tomb

The Sunken Temple

As the name might imply, it's a relic-centered campaign. I tried to give each quest its own interesting mechanic, hopefully you all enjoy them.

Edited by Zaltyre

Zaltyre, I had recently discovered your mini-campaign and I think your quests seems very interesting. I would like to translate them to spanish to play them with my friends. I plan to print the 4 quests, with the mini-campaign rules (but adapting it to your campaign, changing names, etc), and maybe even with a map (if I find a good image).

Usually, mini-campaigns have some lines of fluff to set up the story, and I want to know if you had thought of something similar for yours. If you have, can you share it with us? A narrative text is not necessary, some lines with the general idea will work. Thank you.

Edited by Ganondorf

Zaltyre, I had recently discovered your mini-campaign and I think your quests seems very interesting. I would like to translate them to spanish to play them with my friends. I plan to print the 4 quests, with the mini-campaign rules (but adapting it to your campaign, changing names, etc), and maybe even with a map (if I find a good image).

Usually, mini-campaigns have some lines of fluff to set up the story, and I want to know if you had thought of something similar for yours. If you have, can you share it with us? A narrative text is not necessary, some lines with the general idea will work. Thank you.

I hadn't really set up a narrative- however, the basic idea is fairly simple. Whether this takes place before or after the Shadow Rune, I don't really know. In any case, the Farrows have been tasked with gathering several items of magical power from across Terrinoth, with the intention of using the combined might of these items to perform an ancient ritual. (When I started, I had it in my head to compose an enemy completely of relics- that is, a lieutenant who had the Aurium Plating and the Gauntlets of Spite for armor, wielding the Duskblade and the Shield of Zorek's Favor, and powered by the Fallen Heart- however, I couldn't figure out how to make that work, since the heroes might have some or all of those relics.) It's unknown to the heroes what this ritual is, or even that the Farrows are behind it. At the beginning of the first quest, the heroes are assumed to be on their way through the countryside, and while passing through a town, they hear rumors of disappearing citizens. Being the heroes that they are, when they notice the suspicious crypt in the first quest, they decide to investigate, and happen upon the grave robbers, who have uncovered the Living Heart- it is entirely by accident that the heroes stumble upon the schemes of the Farrows.

I hope that helps.

By the way- if you do come across a good map, please let me know. I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination, so I settled for assigning symbols based on what I figured the heroes would be travelling through to get to each location. Also, any feedback on the mini-campaign itself would be greatly appreciated. I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Zaltyre

Thank you very much Zaltyre, your ideas about the Farrow collecting relics for a dark ritual can serve as a good introduction.

I will post my impressions aboutthe missions once we play them.

Weapons of War is in the midst of a playthrough on boardgamegeek, check it out!

Really like the idea of this campaign and the clever use of alternative evil/good relics and them being protective or harmful to Terrinoth depending who wins- very clever quest twist, I also think this could work well for the quest idea we've discussed that I'm working on that could benefit from taking inspiration from your quests- I can see the lieutenant benefiting from the relics idea as really effective for Skarn in my quest, making a challenging near-finale section of the campaign, it suits the entity that is Skarn perfectly as Skarn adds other bits and pieces to itself and already has the manor's heart (which links to my campaign opening) as his core- it is possible this relic may be connect-able thematically to the fallen heart as well as the corrupting orb I reference in my opening intro so I'll have to look into this.

I especially like how you tie this idea together at the end of 'The Sunken Temple'.

Shall definitely have to play with some ideas for this and I also think it will convert really well to the RPG version of my campaign and tying the ideas into Skarn's gradual growth as an entity of dangerous power and scale. It's nice to have that thread through parts of a campaign too that who gets certain relics is really important!