Few questions before purchasing FOD

By Tomyrgon, in Fury Of Dracula

Hi, been thinking about purchasing FOD. Im probably going to buy it anyway at some point, as I like the theme and overall objective of the game.

But atm Im looking for a relatively light game that even my girlfriend, mother-in-law and friendly couple could play. So I have some questions:

1) How much text and translating is there? (Mother-in-law isnt all that good with languages). From what Iv seen from the pictures it looks like this needs less translating than other FFG-games, am I correct? And thought that as the hunters can work together, theres nothing to stop other players translating for her? Or do you just miss out on the whole game this way.

2) How much other stuff you have to manage when playing hunter? Is there a whole lot of cards, skills, items, spells etc to keep track of like on every other FFG-game that I have played?

3) Any point? Or should I just buy some lame Carcassonne or similar for these gaming-evenings. =p

4) Overall feelings about the game, is this a game that lasts longer than a few playthroughs? Since there is no expansions.

It might be a bit too long also if it takes 3-4 hours to play one game. Although I should add that the people I mentioned all like boardgames.

But as I said: im probably going to get this game anyway at some point to play with my regular gaming-buddies. Just trying to "kill two flies with one punch" :)

Tomyrgon said:

1) How much text and translating is there? (Mother-in-law isnt all that good with languages). From what Iv seen from the pictures it looks like this needs less translating than other FFG-games, am I correct? And thought that as the hunters can work together, theres nothing to stop other players translating for her? Or do you just miss out on the whole game this way.

2) How much other stuff you have to manage when playing hunter? Is there a whole lot of cards, skills, items, spells etc to keep track of like on every other FFG-game that I have played?

3) Any point? Or should I just buy some lame Carcassonne or similar for these gaming-evenings. =p

4) Overall feelings about the game, is this a game that lasts longer than a few playthroughs? Since there is no expansions.

It might be a bit too long also if it takes 3-4 hours to play one game. Although I should add that the people I mentioned all like boardgames.

But as I said: im probably going to get this game anyway at some point to play with my regular gaming-buddies. Just trying to "kill two flies with one punch" :)

1) The hunters do work together, so other players could help your mother-in-law with translating if need be. There is, however, a rule about the hunters not being allowed to leave the table to converse, which may present a problem. If other players have to translate a whole card for her, then Dracula will have information he usually doesn't have access to. You might choose to waive this rule in your circumstances. The idea is that the hunters can come up with whatever plans they want, but they have to speak in front of Dracula. (They are allowed to use non-verbal communication such as showing one another cards, though, so Drac won't have all the pieces.)

2) There's a fair bit of stuff to manage, I suppose. About average for FFG. I think they'd all catch on soon enough.

3) I think it's a fun game. I don't know how open-minded your parents and other non-gamer friends are to a board game like this (as opposed to a game like Monopoly), but if they're willing to try it I say go nuts!

4) To be honest we don't play it that often at our table, but it does get pulled out now and then. The play time is shorter than some of FFG's other games. I would peg it at 2-3 hours for an experienced crew. Add more time for learning rules and (if necessary) translating things.

Yeah thx for clarifying. The more I read about the game, the more I think im going to pass it with this mentioned group, and get something lighter instead for those few occasions that we might play together.

Then again one day its a must for our main gaming-group. That consists of "regular" boardgamers who are used to these kinds of games. :)

Only problem is that theres like a dozen of boxes on my to-buy list at the moment. Theres still some space under the bed and in our closet but im afraid that my girlfriend strangles me if I stuff those up. Have to get a bigger place. :P

I've been playing it for a while now, and, yes, it can seem to be a little daunting at first, as the combat system tends to be a bit unclear at first, but that shouldn't stop or even slow down the game.

Quite the opposite, the game runs very smoothly when all parties have played even one full game, so the choice is yours.

Best wishes for finding a bigger place. I know the feeling!

Best of luck!

"kill two flies with one punch"...now that's a skill I wouldn't mind learning!