Ork preview

By ripark, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

"Dam Green Skins!"

They just renamed some Invasion cards...Can't decide if its good or bad

That's cool for me, since this game hace different game dynamics, it won't have the same results. Also, at some point you have to make cards similar to other games.

love it :D

Not impressed with the orks.

we know they have snotling token, my guess : 1/1 or 0/2 stats.

lot of direct and indirect (aoe) dmg, with though orks soaking and dealing moar and moar as they get down... they do impress me so far.

can't wait for the spoil in the podcast this week end (actually have to :( )

I give it two WAAAGH's up!

We do have a spoiler for this weekend for the show already. Made sure to get it early from FFG this time.

Anyone else wish that the Orks used some randomness?

Eh, probably not. I have an unquenchable thirst for rolling myself out of games.

This is going to beso much fun!!! I just hope that we will be able to spam the enemy with snotlings!

Does anyone know if there is a Limitation of 1 attachment/wargear per unit? If not, Goff Nob with Cybork Body and Rokkit is realy nasty. Put him at the same planet as Nazdreg and you have a 6/12 Ranged unit with brutal. Possible 17 Ranged Damage with one shot. Your Opponent will Need a lot of shild Cards.

That's cool for me, since this game hace different game dynamics, it won't have the same results. Also, at some point you have to make cards similar to other games.

I disagree. I think that point is where you have decided on lazy over quality design. If you look at three games all by the same designer: Magic, NetRunner, and Jyhad you see three quality card games with no mechanical similarities other than that they are all CCGs. Then again, originally carries a lot of weight with me personally so maybe it's just me.

This is going to beso much fun!!! I just hope that we will be able to spam the enemy with snotlings!

Does anyone know if there is a Limitation of 1 attachment/wargear per unit? If not, Goff Nob with Cybork Body and Rokkit is realy nasty. Put him at the same planet as Nazdreg and you have a 6/12 Ranged unit with brutal. Possible 17 Ranged Damage with one shot. Your Opponent will Need a lot of shild Cards.

Opperative words: "If not," There probably would be limitations for equips. It's too tempting to make "can have more than one piece of wargear" a special ability to make it a basic one. Also it prevents brokenness like you're implying which, even though it's a four card combo, would be broken like Roy Harper. (another card that dominated a meta for waaaay too long.)

So I hope not. It would take a lot to come back from the other side of the table on that one..... 17 ranged..... that's a planetary wipe isn't it? Not just in most but pretty much all cases?

They just renamed some Invasion cards...Can't decide if its good or bad

Thanks for pointing that out Redblock! I've only played one game of Invasion (which I enjoyed) so I had no clue.

Also? Bad, it's always bad when you take the exact same game pieces and put them in a different game and just re-name them! How will that even work since the systems are very different?

Anyone else wish that the Orks used some randomness?

Eh, probably not. I have an unquenchable thirst for rolling myself out of games.

Yup. Then again I think Barrel Dragon is one of the most fun cards ever made! Honestly, dice make ANY game more fun in my opinion but I also think Elder Sign is one of this year's best games so.....

I DEFINITELY think there should be at least some dice used with Chaos. Um, take that one howeva' you want....

So I hope not. It would take a lot to come back from the other side of the table on that one..... 17 ranged..... that's a planetary wipe isn't it? Not just in most but pretty much all cases?

I don't get "planetary wipe" from the combat previews. I thought all damage from an attack - even a ranged attack - had to be done to a single target? It's only "area effect" that damages more than 1 of the opponent's guys at a time, isn't it? So while a 17 ranged attack is likely to destroy any one, single guy, the rest of the opponent's guys in the battle would be able to keep hitting the guy until he's dead (which is just 1 damage point if he's hitting for 17).

That looks like a huge problem with "brutal." Anything that survives their initial, strong attack is going to find it easy to finish the guy off with just a pointed stick. The stronger they get, the easier they are to kill.

Edited by ktom

I don't get "planetary wipe" from the combat previews. I thought all damage from an attack - even a ranged attack - had to be done to a single target? It's only "area effect" that damages more than 1 of the opponent's guys at a time, isn't it? So while a 17 ranged attack is likely to destroy any one, single guy, the rest of the opponent's guys in the battle would be able to keep hitting the guy until he's dead (which is just 1 damage point if he's hitting for 17).

That looks like a huge problem with "brutal." Anything that survives their initial, strong attack is going to find it easy to finish the guy off with just a pointed stick. The stronger they get, the easier they are to kill.

Sorry about the double post my computer does not want to send both the quote and my response it seems.

ktom: "I don't get "planetary wipe" from the combat previews. I thought all damage from an attack - even a ranged attack - had to be done to a single target? It's only "area effect" that damages more than 1 of the opponent's guys at a time, isn't it? So while a 17 ranged attack is likely to destroy any one, single guy, the rest of the opponent's guys in the battle would be able to keep hitting the guy until he's dead (which is just 1 damage point if he's hitting for 17).

*end of quote*

Thanks for the correction ktom, you're right! *whew* I had confused it with AOE. All of your pieces get to attack but without Area Of Effect all the damage from one piece has to be directed at one target. Got it.

I think that's kinda' the point with brutal. Balloons weilding sledge hammers. Sounds like the monsters from the first Descent.... There are, however, ways to make many many balloons....

Pretty thematic for rage driven Orks in my opinion.

"rage" effects are common in many card games... and is always a very powerful effect. This exact mechanism was in Warhammer Invasion and was arguably one of the more broken and complained about things in that game. Rush Orks was a real thing in that game.. a bull*** thing.

That being said the card that was part of the enabler for that deck is IN the preview but is is also pat of the warboss group.. so there may not be fully 3 cards in the squad.. so they have already limited the effect somewhat.

I disagree. I think that point is where you have decided on lazy over quality design. If you look at three games all by the same designer: Magic, NetRunner, and Jyhad you see three quality card games with no mechanical similarities other than that they are all CCGs. Then again, originally carries a lot of weight with me personally so maybe it's just me.

I love Dr. Garfield and always will enjoy his games, but there are many Netrunner cards that function a lot like Jyhad cards. Protracted Investment is essentially the grandfather (Methuselah?) for Armitage Code Busting. I'm sure I can find other cards that are similar. Again, this doesn't disprove your overall point (copying cards from other games is bad) but it does point out that even the Master copied from himself. When it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know?

I'm still very interested in seeing how the Orks play. I loved the Brutal-type trait in the old Upper Deck Entertainment World of Warcraft TCG so this should be fun!