Phase Sword

By Calgor Grim, in Black Crusade House Rules

Evening chaps,

As part of a planned plot point I'm working with, I'm planning on adding a C'tan Phase Sword to my plotline. I'll explain how and why if required. For those who don't know what they are they are really **** nasty blades made of the same living metal that the C'tan Necrodermis is made of.

Lexicanum Link

The fluff implies that they ignore any and all defences, slicing through metals, structures, substances, fields as if they were not even there. Power fields, shields and all that do nothing whatsoever. Content from the relevant codices suggests the same.

The way they used to work in 3rd Ed when used by Callidus Assassins (now defunct) was that any successful hit from these weapons ignores all saves including invulnerable saves. The ruling was also similar when used by a C'tan themselves from Necron 3rd Ed.

Current 5th Ed rulings (taken from GK codex) mean that unsaved wounds are now instant death. Necron 5th Ed no longer has them instead replaced by Hyperphase swords (not the same thing) which only count as power weapons or Voidblade which reduce armour when hitting and have rending rules. C'tan strikes have also now been downgraded to being just ignoring armour (Monstrous creature)

So essentially I'd like to make a Phase Sword using what I argue is the true version of the item, the original variant.

Type: Exotic

Class: Melee

Damage: 1D10 + 6R

Pen: X*

Weight: 4kg

Availability: Unique

Special: Power Field, Warp Weapon, Living Metal**

*Pen has been made X due to the wording of the special trait below

** Weapons with this quality cannot be stopped or resisted by any known substance. They ignore all armour values on the target and are not stopped or lessened by any force fields. Additionally any weapon which is not a relic/daemon weapon which attempts to parry or is parried by this weapon is immediately destroyed outright, any which are have a 25% chance of being destroyed. Should this weapon ever make contact with a Necron C'tan, this weapon is instantly destroyed and absorbed.

Power Field and Warp Weapon are purely added as a technicality. My living metal trait overrules. My logic here is that it does not need a penetration value since it ignores it all and rather than shred even daemon weapons up easily I'd like to give them some defence I guess and let them survive 3/4 of the time. It doesn't need a damage boost since frankly it's only there to ensure your hit is a damaging one but it doesnt say it ever does massive hits.I am though considering some degree of Felling as I'm worried about high TB creatures laughing the whole thing off when their armour has been cleaved through but not their flesh however can't decide on that.

Now I dug this out from the DH boards on this forum:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/89834-callidus-and-ctan-phase-sword/

It is recent but I would imagine some of that is written in mindset or to the theme of the old broken DH ruleset and not the BC/OW ruleset which is why I'm a little hesitant to use that as well. I might be wrong though so if this is reinventing the wheel then I am happy to admit an error. Feedback therefore welcome.

It's a lot simpler than combining a good dozen properties your players may have to look up individually. I'd say it seems fairly solid as it is. Simple is best, and it fits the fluff.

Add to your Living Metal special quality that this weapon also ignores UTB and TB.

When this blade makes mockery of even Daemonic trait why would Unnatural Toughness and Toughness Bonus be included against it.

You don't have to raise damage in this way or add Felling (X) to it.

Death by Thousand Cuts.

Basically this weapons ignores anything and affects wounds instantly. If there is no real force applied to cut through the tissues of your enemy, I would also not include strength bonus to damage total - 12 year old child can cut terminator in half with this sword just as effortlessly as hulking space marine.

Edited by Chaplain