An Odd Request (Need Ideas for Scenario)

By player1809340, in Fan Creations

Alright guys, it's been a bit since I made anything, let alone a scenario for Arkham. However, this is a special situation and so I need help from the best and brightest hereabout to make a special scenario for a game. Lemme illuminate~

A friend of mine is getting married soon and she and her fiance are huge board game buffs. They are no strangers to games similar to Arkham Horror (they own a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill), and both have expressed an interest in getting a copy of Arkham Horror. I'm getting them a copy as a wedding present (along with a gift card so yeah, don't judge! XD) but I wanted to personalize it a bit with some touches. So I made character sheets for them that I'll be sending along, as well as a little letter written out as if they were newly moved to Arkham, the whole shebang.

What I am leading up to is that I would like to make a scenario to include along with it, almost like a 'Welcome Wagon' sort of set up as if the scenario was literally about the chosen Investigators being new to Arkham.

Limitations:

1. The Expansion must be compatible for if one is using only the base board.

2. It would be best to have more co-op leaning effects given it IS part of a gift for newly weds.

3. I want to keep it from getting TOO complicated (they are new players) and in fact any ideas on how to help use the scenario to learn the flow of gameplay easier would be better, given how the actual game instructions read like stereo installation instructions.

4. They ARE experience gamers, however, so I don't want it to be a romantic stroll through Downtown.

So you see my dillema? I want to make a scenario that will help new players understand the team-based aspects of Arkham without overwhelming them outright with how complicated the game can be when first learning on your own with no one to explain it--they live in Canada and I the U.S. so I can't be there to walk them through it.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Nyarlathotep has had enough. The happy couple have thwarted the Mythos one too many times and now he's out to ruin the happy couple's big day.

The happy couple (two custom investigators, you know your friends far better than I) have to start out at the Train Station and must get to South Church on time within six turns. Put the Mask monster into random streets, with some other random monsters like the dreaded mother-in-law, reluctant page boy and the embarrassing speech. Make some Ally cards for your ushers, best man and maid of honour. Play.

Speaking of weddings, Jake, you single? Cause I think I wanna marry you now! XD That's bloody brilliant!

However, I MIGHT avoid making up the Allies and extra monster chits (though the Mother in Law is HELLA tempting. Make her more like the Dunwich Horror, heh. >BD)

Edited by Dr.Faust

Haha, Jake that is pretty amazing. I don't play with custom scenarios so I'm not sure what they typically entail. My only qualm with Jake's suggestion is that the atlternate victory condition might thwart the learning of typical AO/Gate/Doom mechanics.

Otherwise it is pretty brilliant. :)

Similar in concept, perhaps you could have the couple honey-mooning in Arkham, and they refuse to let anyone (and I mean anyone Ithaqua!) snow all over it. The only one's that could put Mean ol' Snowmeister in his place is a tag-team of experienced boardgamers with just enough tactical know-how and suspension of disbelief to thwart the evil one once and for all!

I would also maybe suggest incorporating two other custom investigators that are close friends or (as suggested) the maid of honor and best man so they can play the game with a set of 4 investigators (two eac). Mechanically, the game is at its most fogiving then.

Edited by Soakman

Well, since I was planned to be the Man of Honor (I'm best buds with the bride) I am including my own sheet, but that's a good point. I'll inquire after the Best Man and see what I can drum up!

That idea is pretty great, but one thing you want to make especially certain of is that they can almost definitely win.

If you create this kind of scenario and they play it, only to fail, what kind of message does that send to the bride and groom?

Just make sure that it's very doable since you want their marriage to start off with something positive.

Oh of course, that is why /I'M/ making it. You know I don't make anything that I can't win with complete certainty, Aqua. XD