Reviews?

By silenceindigo, in Dark Heresy

Hello,

I'm looking for online reviews for this game.

Is it worth the high price tag? Is there setting info enough? Are there genestealer cults?

Know of any reviews that would highlight the positive and negative aspects of game play experience?

Thanks!

There is a lot of setting info in the books.

There are no genestealer cults (yet)

It is worth the money, just for the fluff and setting info.

Luddite said:

There are others i'm sure. Google it!

He got the Points.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

I'll have to agree with Valzin. The core book offers a huge amount of settnig information and really gives great fluff, especially for people who have never had exposure to the WH40K universe before picking up this game (like myself).

My friend has posted his impressions/thoughts on the game here: http://reviews.deadplanetcreations.com/site/?p=7

While I can say generally, I really like the game, I haven't read it cover to cover. I've read some of the Career Paths, but not all of them. I have barely touched the GM section. So, really, my experience with the game is mostly from actual play, rather than becoming intimate with the rules. However, it is probably the best looking game book I've ever seen. Very high production value. Even if I never touch it again, I've already gotten my money's worth from it.

All FFG books are gorgeous, sure, but at first glance in a store I was afraid the book seemed like an awfully long equipment list, hence my hesitation... I'm more into indy games, and while I know where WH40K stands, I'm not sure I'm the target audience. serio.gif

Bazin said:

I'll have to agree with Valzin. The core book offers a huge amount of settnig information and really gives great fluff, especially for people who have never had exposure to the WH40K universe before picking up this game (like myself).

I'm going to disagree and say that the book offers a great deal of "setting information" only if you have never had any exposure to the 40k universe. If you have that exposure, then it actually fails to give you the information that you need to RP in the 40k universe, even the limited version that Dark Heresy offers us.

Kage

Wu Ming said:

Luddite said:

He got the Points.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Points?

What do you mean Wu Ming ?

Have i missed something?

preocupado.gif

Luddite said:

Wu Ming said:

Luddite said:

He got the Points.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Points?

What do you mean Wu Ming ?

Have i missed something?

preocupado.gif

I believe it would be 'he get's the point' but as you provided so many points, he got the points instead.

Hellebore

I

Kage2020 said:

Bazin said:

I'm going to disagree and say that the book offers a great deal of "setting information" only if you have never had any exposure to the 40k universe. If you have that exposure, then it actually fails to give you the information that you need to RP in the 40k universe, even the limited version that Dark Heresy offers us.

Kage

Well, as someone who is new to the 40k Universe, I felt it had a lot of information for a first time exposure. But as I'm finding out in the other thread that I had started about more resources for the univerese, this book barely cracks the surface of things.

I think it is definitely a good book for any person looking for a gritty sci-fi rpg, regardless of if they know the universe or not.

Bazin said:

Well, as someone who is new to the 40k Universe, I felt it had a lot of information for a first time exposure.

I think its easy to see why someone unfamiliar with 40k would think that, as there are a large number of pages filled with the most general of information.

As you've researched further has it changed your opinion of what the core book presents?

Bazin said:

But as I'm finding out in the other thread that I had started about more resources for the univerese, this book barely cracks the surface of things.

Indeed. For myself, i find much of the 'official' source material to be equally 'vacuous'. Fan material is often far more detailed, coherent, indepth and useful for roleplaying. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Bazin said:

I think it is definitely a good book for any person looking for a gritty sci-fi rpg, regardless of if they know the universe or not.

Sci-fi?

What about it makes it 'sci-fi' do you think?

Luddite said:

What about it makes it 'sci-fi' do you think?

<whisphers>

Nothing...

Who said that? sorpresa.gif

Kage

BAD Kage!!! enfadado.gif

Don't make me take my belt off again...

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Luddite said:

BAD Kage!!! enfadado.gif

gui%C3%B1o.gif

sorpresa.gif Has someone been looking too long at the Soritas?!

Luddite said:

BAD Kage!!! enfadado.gif

gui%C3%B1o.gif

You think that I'm worried with that avatar!? Meh, I kick sand in the face of the old codger... gui%C3%B1o.gif

Kage

RPG.net is a great resource for user reviews and feedback.