Bad Moons and Nazdreg.

By Barbacuo, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I've noticed that most of the Space Marine, Chaos and Eldar cards have a chapter/craftworld affiliation trait (also most of the "fan" Imperial Guard cards and Straken). That is cool and leaves the way open for super cool combos and card trait synergies. But for the remainder, Dark Eldar, Tau and Orks, they don't have any kabal/caste/clan trait. Even the powerfull warlord Nazderg, whose flavour text mentions his Bad Moon clan, don't have any of those traits.

Please don't leave those races as plain standards, while others get Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Legion, Alpha Legion, Alaitoc, Biel-tan, Iyanden, Catachan or Vostroyan flavoured themes.

It's not going to change now.

As I said on CGDB it seems with Orks and Dark Eldar they are focusing on their caste within society as opposed to political or ideological affiliations.

Can't speak for Tau yet. Don't think we have seen a clear card aside from the drone.

I will not expect more than air/fire/water... caste for de Tau. Maybe kroot, vespid, demiurg or gue'vesa, but if the main tau don't have the tau trait, it will be weird.

I talk a little bit about this on my blog . Based on what we know so far, Nazdreg doesn't feel very 'Bad Moony' and I don't like that they're shooting wide with the Orks instead of making it tribe focused, as you say.

But! The core set's not even out yet so we'll see how things shake out.

It makes sense not to focus on the Clans as they are not really a focus in the miniature game either.

It makes sense not to focus on the Clans as they are not really a focus in the miniature game either.

I agree. And also the more traits are, the tighter deckbuilding is. Few is good. Too many makes decks too obvious.

Well, I like the more traits the better if the add flavour to the game. Even an unused trait doesn't hurt anybody and can be usefull in the future. Are they thinking on balance problems for future expansions or just being pragmatic? Maybe both.

Well, I like the more traits the better if the add flavour to the game. Even an unused trait doesn't hurt anybody and can be usefull in the future.

Traits alone aren't the problem. They don't bother me if they are attached to some units (army cards), but what bothers me is when they are part of Event or Attachment cards paired with word 'only'. E.g. 'only Ultramarines ', 'give sth to Bad Moon army cards'. This makes cards like that useless for most decks.

Well, those could be included in signature squads without a problem, that warlord and swuad will make your deck more flavourish. I will not complain about Drop Pod Assault working only on Space Marine cards, even when I can include them on a Imperial Guard or Tau deck.

Also Nazdreg card states: "Alright you gitz! Time fer da 'ummies ta see wot it means to mess wit da Bad Moons!" If that is not being related to the Bad Moons, I don't know what it would be.

Edited by Tobogan

Drop Pod Assault is Loyal card.

Warlords all only have two traits. I am fine with them not using the Clans for the Orks beyond a fluff aspect as really that is the same as the minis game.

Well, I like the more traits the better if the add flavour to the game. Even an unused trait doesn't hurt anybody and can be usefull in the future.

Traits alone aren't the problem. They don't bother me if they are attached to some units (army cards), but what bothers me is when they are part of Event or Attachment cards paired with word 'only'. E.g. 'only Ultramarines ', 'give sth to Bad Moon army cards'. This makes cards like that useless for most decks.

Narr, it is better for cards to have such restrictions. Sure we all want the freedom to put any card in any deck.. but this leads to power creep.. with cards completely replacing other cards. Having cards only work with other tribes forces deck diversity and is integral to having healthy deck construction. Now you can not go to overboard, and for sure.. in the early days when the pool is small these cards have few targets. This is only temporary.

Say a powerful attachment comes in for Space Marines and Dark Angels are the current meta deck for SM. This card will instantly go in ALL Dark Angel SM decks. Giving us a situation where all SM players are playing the exact same deck (or close to it). If on the other hand the new card is limited to Ultramariens then suddenly the deck build needs to decide on the pro and con of switching factions. The deck construction options are increased NOT decreased. You end up with a new completely viable SM deck that is not Dark Angels.

This is the crux of why trait targets exist and the more traits the better. They need not use them, but they should be there to create design space.

@Booored:

I admit you're right but only if everything is balanced in game. I played WH:I a lot and I love this game but I'm no blind to see that lot of cards 'slayers only', 'witch only', etc. are just crapy.