How do you rank the warlords?

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

now that we have seen 4 of the warlords i was wondering how people rank them against each other (just looking at the card not their faction or signature squads)

here are my ranking with reasoning

1. Zarathur, High Sorceror

-in my opinion he has the best ability with +1 damage to everything including AOE's

-6 HP which seems to be the norm

-1 attack which is low but is effective 2 with his ability

-I think he is the best before he is blooded but the worst after being blooded

2. Captain Cato Sicarius

-most consistently useful ability so far as more resources are always useful (unless you run out of cards)

-average stats

-A good start with Sicarius can give you the resources to get you big units onto the battlefield and steamroll you opponent

3. Nazdreg

-potentially powerful ability especially with self damaging cards or card to damage your own units but the problem is that there is no benefit to overkill and you opponent can play around the ability by only killing outright or attacking exhausted units (or just targeting the warlord first)

-7 HP which means he can 1v1 any other warlord

4. colonel Straken

-Ok ability but its limitation to only affecting soldiers/warriors is why he is last as the others work with everything

-average stats

-while you can play/deckbuild around the soldier/warrior limitation the other warlords don't need to.

I really can't atm , not until i see all the cards :)

simple.. Chaos Warlord is ALWAYS the best...

/end thread.

chaos have potentially nice combo ability, but i just love Colonel Iron hand Straken

Edited by Lepusek

chaos have potentially nice combo ability, but i just love Colonel Iron hand Straken

I think Straken has the worst deckbuilding potential for future expansions. But he looks great. :)

You misunderstand... ALL chaos is AUTOMATICALLY the best warlords as they are chaos. It is a infinite loop of awesomeness. Chaos = Best because best = chaos.

You misunderstand... ALL chaos is AUTOMATICALLY the best warlords as they are chaos. It is a infinite loop of awesomeness. Chaos = Best because best = chaos.

Do not worry, I understand :D just love Straken fluff although he has pretty low ability :angry:

with the preview we just got, his ability seems **** strong to me.

Now I understand more.Guy is strong

Straken is great I think. There were a number of warrior and soldier units previewed in Space Marines stuff too for him to draw from as long as they are not loyal.

well now Straken seems strong. Swarm of low guardsmen with buffed ATT

well now Straken seems strong. Swarm of low guardsmen with buffed ATT

And I'm thinking "Swarm" might be a good strategy in this game. Looking at the combat preview, it seems that players take turns attacking in a combat round until all units are exhausted. So wouldn't that mean that if I have 4 units in combat and you have 2, I'm effectively going to get to get two hits against you while all your guys are exhausted and unable to hit back?

I was thinking the same. So far, with the spoiled cards we've seen, big, costly units such as the Black Legion Heldrake, Goff Nob or Soul Grinder, are extremely vulnerable to cards like The Fury of Sicarius or Captain Markis (and, to a lesser extent, Exterminatus). Having those units destroyed or exhausted is a big backdraw, since you invested a lot of resources on them, which didn't pay off. On the other hand, no one will waste resources such as The Fury of Sicarius to get rid of a cheap unit.

Anyway, it's too early to say until we've seen every card in the core. Maybe cards as Fury are limited to one per deck, and then it will be easy to track whether the opponent used them already or not.

I was thinking the same. So far, with the spoiled cards we've seen, big, costly units such as the Black Legion Heldrake, Goff Nob or Soul Grinder, are extremely vulnerable to cards like The Fury of Sicarius or Captain Markis (and, to a lesser extent, Exterminatus). Having those units destroyed or exhausted is a big backdraw, since you invested a lot of resources on them, which didn't pay off. On the other hand, no one will waste resources such as The Fury of Sicarius to get rid of a cheap unit.

Anyway, it's too early to say until we've seen every card in the core. Maybe cards as Fury are limited to one per deck, and then it will be easy to track whether the opponent used them already or not.

i dont think so. Fury have two cards in signature deck for Cato, with Catos Champions is ultimate combo. Pulling something from planet + one damage and then Fury .... prety crazy combo

btw: again swarm is awesome chaos warlord. AOE damage 1 + 1 from his ability :blink:

Edited by Lepusek

And there's also the other side of the coin: units with "area attack", which will damage every single little unit you have on the planet. I guess that balances things out.

i dont think so. Fury have two cards in signature deck for Cato, with Catos Champions is ultimate combo. Pulling something from planet + one damage and then Fury .... prety crazy combo

Yeah, I forgot this was a Signature card. Pretty good indeed.

i dont think so. Fury have two cards in signature deck for Cato, with Catos Champions is ultimate combo. Pulling something from planet + one damage and then Fury .... prety crazy combo :

Doesn't work. Fury is only usable with an attack. Sicarius Chosen ability is not an attack.

i dont think so. Fury have two cards in signature deck for Cato, with Catos Champions is ultimate combo. Pulling something from planet + one damage and then Fury .... prety crazy combo :

Doesn't work. Fury is only usable with an attack. Sicarius Chosen ability is not an attack.

ahh my bad :rolleyes:

Edited by Lepusek

Straken looks great now with all the ways to generate Guardsman tokens as those count as Soldiers. But the point about AOE damage is well made earlier in the thread by Freeman -- that seems to be a balancing factor. That and the presence of board-wipe (or planet-wipe) like Exterminatus can keep the swarm decks in check....I hope.