Vortex worlds

By Talissera, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Hello guys.

I've start to run the campaign for my fellow friend (just one player). For start I have the Messiah and aquiring some warptech rigs for one clan, next core starting module (really great).. but when I see official Vortex worlds.. Most of Inner Circle and Low Vortex worlds are barbarian and boring.
How do you think, what kind are numerous unnamed worlds Heretics could find in those areas and what impact Ruinous Powers have on them? Worlds are for conquering, enslavering and annihilating. Something a little bit technogically adequate, with developed social system. May be some ideas from books.

There are many worlds in the Vortex which aren't barbarian or boring.

Take a look at Hellwhisper/The Hollows & Q'Sal (Tome of Fate), Contrition & Ghibelline (Tome of Excess)

Also, don't limit yourself to the official descriptions.

e.g. so you think that Sacgrave, a ruined planet, which was once the seat of power for a pirate empire - is boring?

But what did the pirates do there?

What manner of secrets lie within the ruins?

What about the strange creatures they created & experimented on, does some of them still live and if so, can they be used somehow?

What about the legend of Krotek the Vile, the legendary pirate prince who claimed to know of a safe route into and out of The Screaming Vortex. Does his fabled star charts still exist (I made all of that up just now by the way) or did they perish when the Eldar laid waste to the planet?

In short, if you think a place sounds boring, be inventive! :)

Thanks for the legend, seems interesting, I missed it.

Sacgrave has almost destroyed. With the Hollows and Q'Sal they are Gloaming Worlds, it's different.

Edited by Talissera

The point remains though, if a place sounds boring to you. Spice it up, go nuts, its Chaos after all. :)

Sacgrave has almost destroyed. With the Hollows and Q'Sal they are Gloaming Worlds, it's different.

So add worlds to the Vortex. The official materials don't include a ton of options - much like the Koronus Expanse (for Rogue Trader). The Vortex is begging for more, GM-created worlds. So, do it.

Also, the deeper into the vortex you go, the more you start to see daemons and encounter daemonic influence on reality grows. The palace of a slaaneshi or tzeenchian prince is unlikely to be boring...

So add worlds to the Vortex. The official materials don't include a ton of options - much like the Koronus Expanse (for Rogue Trader). The Vortex is begging for more, GM-created worlds. So, do it.

Well, OP isn't clear, I hope to hear some ideas for GM-World (=

Now my campaign make the very strange way. Character - corrapted Sororitas, who thought that know Emperor's way better then others and abandon Sisters for the Quest of Ressurection the Emperor (she really doesn't like Chaos). After Khimeria, Word Bearers invited her to the Mammon to teach her the lesson about Imperium worship. But in the end she found the secret about Mammon population, effectively destroy it and ran away.

And after gathering resourses she will find eccentric Necrons, who offer her the deal about Ressurection and ideas for cleaning corraption which my player really hates (=

Well, the Cat's Cradle is useful; it's a nexus of countless worlds that are shaped by the influence of whoever controls them - at a 'laws-of-physics' level as well as politically.

At least one named world is essentially a planet-sized library of forbidden lore; I imagine something useful could be found there

Also, the secrets of death and resurrection....oh, so many opportunities for Nurgle to lead her around by the nose...

In fact, that's something I was meaning to look at now we've got what's probably the final supplement:

Screaming_Vortex.jpg

Above is the more detailed "navigator's map" of the vortex. Which worlds have descriptions, and in which books?

Following the vortex inwards:

• 13th Station of Passage - Black Crusade
  • Hidrance - Tome of Decay
  • The Scoured Lands - ???
  • The Anathema - Black Crusade
  • Pillars Of Eternity - Tome of Fate
  • The Cat's Cradle - Tome of Fate
  • Xurunt - Black Crusade, Tome of Blood
  • Sturm & Drang - ???
  • Pyurultide - The Gamesmaster's Kit, Tome of Decay
  • The Wailing Eternity - ???
  • Kymerus - ???
  • Exile - Tome of Fate
  • Arbuthnot - ???
  • Q'Sal - Black Crusade, Tome of Fate
  • Ghibelline - Tome of Excess
  • The Wreck Of The Kasserkratch - Black Crusade
  • Guelph - Tome of Decay
  • Harrowed Space - Black Crusade
  • The Lost Gate - ???
  • Redemption - ???
  • Dwimmer - ???
  • Obrex - ???
  • Berin & Asphodel - Tome of Blood
  • The Hollows - Black Crusade, Tome of Fate
  • The War-Moons of Talax - Tome of Blood
  • Sacgrave - Black Crusade, The Gamesmaster's Kit
  • Gullet - ???
  • Messia - Tome of Blood
  • The Ragged Helix - Black Crusade, Tome of Excess
  • Aphexis - Black Crusade
  • Melancholia - Tome of Excess
  • Mire - Black Crusade, Tome of Decay
  • The Gates of Moment - Tome of Excess
  • Mamon - Tome of Excess
  • The Skull - ???
  • Furia - Tome of Blood
  • Dread Korvaska - Tome of Fate
  • Sadarix - ???
  • The Flaming Tomb - Tome of Fate
  • Crucible - Black Crusade, Tome of Blood
  • Contrition - Black Crusade, Tome of Excess
  • The Frozen Heart - Tome of Decay
  • The Ascendant Spiral - Tome of Decay

Other worlds mentioned but not on the map

St Anard's Pennance - Hand of Corruption - Presumably belongs in Harrowed Space given the description ("Legends say that the gods at play once grew frustrated with the confines of their pitch and flung a world out of the Vortex to make more space")

Kurze - Hand of Corruption, Tome of Blood

The Nexus of Shadows - Soul Reaver

The Donarium - Tome of Decay - Near Q'Sal

Anyone who can add in any references or correct mistakes, please do so, and I'll update!

Edited by Magnus Grendel

The Gates of Moment(s) Tome of Excess page 105.

Melancholia Tome of Excess page 101.

Messia Tome of Blood page 101.

Pillars Of Eternity Tome of Fate page 108.

Exile's of The Nexus
The vast majority of Dark Eldar found within the
Screaming Vortex operate from the Nexus of Shadows,
a dark and forbidding artificial world these vicious
xenos have dominated for hundreds of years. For
more information about this terrible realm and the
foul creatures within, see Rogue Trader adventure
supplement The Soul Reaver .
Tome of Excess page 98 maybe Exile
Tome of Fate page 74.
Exile: This planet just on the fringe of real space and the
outer ring of the Vortex has a single city on it. Here, those
looking for an alternate route to the Gloaming Worlds
can locate a captain heading that way. The prices are very
high, but as yet they have not lost a single ship to the
warp. This is also the furthest the Golden Ships of Q’Sal
have been able to travel. Q’Sallian captains rarely come
here and, when they do, it is often on a specific task from
one of the city-masters.
Dread Korvaska Tome of Fate page 96.
Edited by Athanatosz

Thanks. Found a few more comments in the rulebook re the Kasserkratch and Harrowed Space, too.

Anyone else?

Still looking for any reference to:

• The Scoured Lands
  • Sturm & Drang
  • The Wailing Eternity
  • Kymerus
  • Arbuthnot
  • The Lost Gate
  • Redemption
  • Dwimmer
  • Obrex
  • Gullet
  • The Skull
  • Sadarix
Edited by Magnus Grendel

The Donarium could be another, which is a space station where the Ascendant Spiral terminates.

BYE

True. That's supposed to be near Q'Sal, so I guess that's why it doesn't rate a map 'pin' of its own.

Updated.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Q'Sal is a cool world. Very Grimbright. Or maybe Nobledark.

But the above point stands: Chaos! You can make whatever world you like. For inspiration, consume any media ever. For example, a world I pieced together from inspiration of various games:

Babinzulgar: A world where it rains frozen Eldar blood. The surface is purple, and the inhabitants live underground, operating steampunk warptech, trading their inventions for booze. They are a lost offshoot of the forgotten Squats, and their king is a Dark Eldar, whom they have named Pelt Bald-Ape. He wields a thunder hammer and once slew a mighty dragon that plagued the land, so they built a statue of him out of Adamantium and made him their king. The Eldar in this land are primitive, but feral creatures that eat their victims raw. A curse plagues the land where all living things rise again as zombies, and so the Squats pump magma from the volcano to kill off anything on the surface that approaches.

If not, how about this?

Gliese 581C: A world bathed perpetually red from a dwarf star: All plant life there is totally black to absorb maximum light, and howling storms rage across its surface. It is colonised by some wayward Tau that are naive to the Vortex, but wish to learn how to steel their minds against the predations of Chaos, to better exploit the resources they find on this world, not to mention the local Dark Eldar raiders.

But if you want canon worlds, check the books. Kymerus is mentioned in the main book, Sacgrave in the GM's Screen campaign. The others I'm not sure.

Kymerus - the world from starting module in Core BC, and the place of the "Temple of Lies".

Edited by Talissera

I made up a world. Steampunk Squats live on it, and it rains frozen Eldar blood. Just because!

My girlfriend demands I make my players go on a planet with bubbles (floating) that spray acid when they pop and mutant unicorns...I kinda like the idea.

My girlfriend demands I make my players go on a planet with bubbles (floating) that spray acid when they pop and mutant unicorns...I kinda like the idea.

That's both really cute and really creepy at the same time. If there was any place for a planet like that to exist the Screaming Vortex sounds the perfect place.

Also I'd hang onto that one if I were you, she sounds like a keeper :)

Edited by Amroth

It sounds like an appropriately Chaotic world. Why the hell not? :D

Ok here are my two cents...

A desert world were the land is riddled with giant polyhedrons with numbers on them. :)

A world populated by mechanical creatures who use technology made out of flesh and bone.

A world where everything is alive: the sun constantly vomits fire unto the world's equatar, the rocks scream their hatred at an uncaring sky and trees twist and moan in a wind that mocks all who hear it.

The warhammer world? (this used to be canon)

The graveyard of fallen gods: On this world one can find the ruined temples of every god that has ever been worshiped by a sentient race.

A world made out of candy/giant food. what? i'm getting hungry!

A world of silent hives covered in brambles and dark forrest in wich live strange creatures and monsters.

A world made out of the still living bodies of the Eldar that uased to inhabit it.

@ Gaudan: ****, gotta admit, that one with acid bubbles was a great idea! props to your girlfriend!

A world where everything is alive: the sun constantly vomits fire unto the world's equatar, the rocks scream their hatred at an uncaring sky and trees twist and moan in a wind that mocks all who hear it.

I love this one, it's actually really cool, I might have to steal this one if you don't mind?

The graveyard of fallen Gods and the world made out of still living Eldar bodies are pretty cool too.

Oh I don't mind, i put them up there for people to use. Thanks for liking them!

Oh yeah people looking for more inspiration check out Realms of chaos: Slaves to darkness. Especially the bits of Liber mallific acompanied by those beautifull one page art pieces by Ian Miller.

One of my favorites is the "Inevitable city" :

a city twisted and warped by chaos will apear at the far horizon and when one tries to get away from it it will shift and always be in front of the traveller and slowly coming closer. Hence one is doomed to inevitably enter the city. Unless one walks towards it. Ugh reverse logic chaos makes my head hurt.

Bonus Question: In the map where is Kurze? (inner, outer area, which other planets are close etc.)

Edited by Athanatosz