What are good psyker powers to translate into BC?

By Oborous, in Black Crusade

So, what are some good psyker techniques to translate from other W40K FFG games? Thought of this as I was reading a friends Navis Primer and saw 'Alter Memories'

The Deathwatch series does have some nice little powers I feel would be nice to see in BC. Why should only the Ordo Xenos get them? :)

Vortex of Doom. I loved the idea of an unstable maelstrom of warp energy which drifts around the field, expanding and contracting, basically acting as a miniature black hole. Warp Vortex from Tome of Fate is similar but the damage is much lower and the radius does not alter.

Gate of Infinity, the ability to open up a portal to anywhere within a massive several KM radius and just them and/or allies step through to there instantly.

Dominate was also a good one. While Compel is basic instructions to a puppet like to run away, fight etc, Dominate was a step up, allowing the psyker to fully control the victim as if it were his own body.

the DH power Create Door is an alternative to Gate of Infinity. No cooldown, but a little more dangerous to use. And it's Arcana, so automatically an Unaligned power. I'm not fully convinced that it's suitable translating Codex specific powers, but Vortex of Doom just feels like it became lost on the way to a chaos party and ended up with the Astartes.

Mind Scan for use with Mind Probe.

Far Sight.

Daemon Wrack. Or in fact most Minor and Major Arcana from Radical's Handbook and Disciples of the Dark Gods. You've got a bunch of potential Unaligned powers there.

Soul Killer for a high damage nuke alternative to Bolt of Tzeentch that non-Tzeentch aligned psykers can get access to.

Edited by BrotharTearer

The vortex of doom as written is terrible. Its more likely to grown than shrink. My friend ran a monte carlo asking what occurs first: grow to 100 meters or disappear from shrinkage? 72% of the time it grew to 100 meters. At that point the odds of disappearing are virtually nil meaning this thing would keep on growing until swallowed the whole planet and eventually the universe.

Actually, when the VoD's radius gets more than the psyker's pay rating, it spirals out of control and explodes.

Oh, wait, was that only the Deathwatch version? (Don't have my books handy. Dang multiple versions of the game...)

Cheers,

- V.

Actually, when the VoD's radius gets more than the psyker's pay rating, it spirals out of control and explodes.

Oh, wait, was that only the Deathwatch version? (Don't have my books handy. Dang multiple versions of the game...)

Cheers,

- V.

I was in Only War version where VoD explodes when it grows bigger than Psykers PR. If I remember correctly.

Theres also Gate of Infinity so those powers could be easily transfered from there.

Edited by Routa-maa

The vortex of doom as written is terrible. Its more likely to grown than shrink. My friend ran a monte carlo asking what occurs first: grow to 100 meters or disappear from shrinkage? 72% of the time it grew to 100 meters. At that point the odds of disappearing are virtually nil meaning this thing would keep on growing until swallowed the whole planet and eventually the universe.

Not seeing a problem with that whole "massive rift in the universe"

Not seeing a problem with that whole "massive rift in the universe"

DIY Warp Storm :P

I believe astrotelepathy for ship-faring sorcerers and wyrds as a logical advancement of thought sending would fit well since you can hardly find soul-bound astropaths in the Vortex.

Holocaust

Catch Projectiles.

Space Slip minor power.

Holocaust

Catch Projectiles.

Space Slip minor power.

?Where are those powers from?

Holocaust

Catch Projectiles.

Space Slip minor power.

?Where are those powers from?

Holocaust - Disciplines of the Dark Gods p.127 (If he meant Holocaust of Torment)

Catch Projectiles - Dark Heresy 1st edition p.176

Space Slip, minor power - Disciplines of the Dark Gods p.27

Holocaust is obviously the DH Pyromancy power.

Holocaust is obviously the DH Pyromancy power.

ok somehow missed that, that happens when you try to find something quickly.

so DH CRB p.175 Holocaust

Pretty much everything from the Biomancy or Pyromancy diciplines in the DH core rulebook. For the most part I didn't care for their BC versions in Tome of Fate.

Rogue Trader's Telepathy and Divination disciplines had quite a few interesting utility powers that were never subsequently reproduced (most of these are in the core book)- things like Aura Reading (the Divination core discipline power), psycholocation, and psychometry, Telepathy powers like puppetmaster, reprogram, sensory deprivation, and beastmaster, etc. Navis Primer also introduced the entire psychic discipline of Cryokinesis, which while not extraordinarily powerful is still an entirely distinct set of psychic powers that might be worth considering. Things like Levitation (from Rogue Trader's Telekinesis) or wall walking and short-range teleportation from Dark Heresy core rulebook's minor powers would also be interesting and useful things to port over (especially given how often they are associated with psykers in various media)

The sorcery powers in Rogue Trader Edge of the Abyss, Dark Heresy Disciples of the Dark Gods, and Dark Heresy Radical's Handbook would also pretty much all be appropriate for conversion into Unaligned Powers (and includes unique and interesting things like the aforementioned "Create Door" power).