Malice, the God of Anarchy

By Leo71, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

So, in my current campaign, which consists of a Radical Inquisitor(Roric Dondarion) A highly understanding and xeno tolerant Imperial Fist(Vengarl) and a Stubborn Dark Angel (Aonaxx), I want to introduce the Threat of Malal/Malice, the fifth god of Chaos. The party has been split apart by their designated decisions, (Roric is trying to regain his skills in being an Inquisitor, as he lost his memory, Vengarl "sacrificed" himself to save his team from a craft-world(Which he did to get closer to a female Lord Ranger) and Aonaxx committed treason by killing a Planetary Governor as well as disobeying about three levels of command of the Deathwatch, as well as the Inquisition)And are slowly coming back together. The Dark Angel and Roric have encountered some information about Malice, Roric had his mentor Inquisitor explain what the fifth god was, and the Dark Angel received a "Gift" from a sorcerer of Malice. I'm thinking about, how to further creep the sings of the god of Anarchy. What special traits do he and his followers carry? Also, if you want a full report on the campaign, I shall provide :)

Well the stuff on Malice seems to have been mostly phased out as of current editions and mentions of their name or powers seem few and far between however scattered information suggests that he will oppose anything which all the other chaos gods stand for and would perhaps prefer to take on Chaos rather than Imperium.

He is a god of anarchy and would perhaps love to see an end to any and all Chaos gods and their plots so his followers would likely feel the same. Since it's all about chaos and anarchy with some documents suggesting an end to the Gods and the nature of the warp itself sometimes, his followers are likely to have suicidal or terrorist like tendancies, thinking nothing of obliterating themselves in the name of anarchy. As disorder spreads and grows, so too does the power of Malice. He would have no quarter with slaying billions of daemons be they of Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Tzeentch for they are his enemies as they represent an order to chaos, an order serving another god rather than the complete breakdown of all structure.

However these are just my interpretations so do feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Yes yes, I'm currently going through making some Deamons for our good ol' Friend Malice :) If anybody wants to contribute in any way, feel free :) <3

Very high concept...I like it! But say your players do uncover the root of this fifth chaos gods agents in the material plane. Where would you go with such a story...

Wait...this stuff must be compelling because you just got me asking all kinds of buy in questions!

Traits of Malice for the purposes of player characters generally involve a total disregard for any form of Order. You may want to consider then, the addition of the Hatred talents slowly. So slowly as the corruption spreads, extra hatred talents including but not limited to:

Hatred (Xenos - All), Hatred (CSM), Hatred (Daemons - All), Hatred (Imperium - All)

Slayer of Daemons, Hunter of Aliens, Scourge of Heretics,

Eventually you're developing the characters loathing of any and all things in the galaxy, their relationship with others will start to take a tumble and may be noticed by their fellows.

Later on you will want to consider having or encouraging them to take their own life or hate authority figures, so consider things such as a Primarchs curse or mental disorder such as (randomly put together):

Tier 1:

"Malice followers care little for their own lives if it allows them chance to sow destruction to their enemies and many follow a dangerous route, their self preservation instinct lessened as they seek the urge to attack and cause havoc on the field. The character finds it difficult to stay in cover. While they are in cover, they must make a successful Willpower (-20) Test to remain. Failure indicates that their need for self destruction and chaos is overriding their tactical sense. Any shot which would normally hit cover rather than the player character has a 50% chance of striking the player."

Tier 2:

???

Tier 3:

"Followers or those new to the path of Malice despise control in all forms. When the sufferer of this condition encounters a figure of high authority (be it a planetary governor, ships captain of a war fleet or even an Inquisitor, the character must successfully pass a Willpower/(Possibly Fel?) Test to refrain from showing disdain towards them or even openly attacking unexpectedly. As their corruption rises or the strength of the authority figure also grows, the test may become more difficult at GM choice.

Failure by more than three degrees will result in the character performing a hostile action. Immediately resolve a single attack against the figure using any weapon currently available. This counts as a surprise attack with all modifiers or talents applicable to either side."

I dunno...these are really rough, I got bored while watching some bad TV.

Edited by Calgor Grim

...I got bored while watching some bad TV.

The solution to that problem is to watch True Detective . It's aaaaawesoooome! :D

Very high concept...I like it! But say your players do uncover the root of this fifth chaos gods agents in the material plane. Where would you go with such a story...

Wait...this stuff must be compelling because you just got me asking all kinds of buy in questions!

2nd Tier

"Those who associate themselves with Malice, are the outcasts of their own races and organisations, they do not feel that they are part of anyone or anything, even sometimes doubting their alliance to the God of Anarchy himself. When a character is to roll a Positive Fellowship test of any sort (Except those focused on intimidation, or any other negative effect on others), be it a Charming or Negotiation test, the must take a penalty to their roll of a minimum -10(Their team, distant race, unknown ally or foe) to -30(A Chaos deity, same race, direct enemy, a someone who is in their Hatred talents). However, every Negative Fellowship test, is multiplied from +10(Their team, distant race, unknown ally or foe) up to +30(A Chaos deity, same race, direct enemy, a someone who is in their Hatred talents)."

Well, Mr Dorn, the team has been very, very unlucky in their encounters with the forces of Malice. the Dark Angel has told a Sorcerer of Malal to F-off, The Inquisitor has his soul bounded to a Daemon blade, which posses a daemon that was confused by Malice, in turn having no recollection of his previous and The Imperial Fist... Well, he is about to get a huge surprise. Em, if we were to look at it from the prospective of storyline, it is ultimately up to players, what Malice will become in their story. It can either be an ally god, who wants to destroy daemons as much as the next guy, or it might be just yet another threat to worry about. Things will only go downwards for our team, as there are way too many foes they will be facing, and it will be happening all at once.

So in essence you are allowing your players to dig their own graves as rapidly as possible! Always a good plan! I am trying to make our campaign somethings that can potentially be "won" but never something that can be "100% completed" if that makes any sense. Trying to simply take the fluff and create an open universe where everytime they jump to a new system I will roll for every single system in the Jericho reach and adjust the campaign progress accordingly. But there will be terrible costs to pay and I expect every character to probably die at some point...I hadn't considered them making pacts with Daemons...but it would be very easy to put them in situations where in order to complete a mission they will have to. Such as getting through a warp barrier or something...good times

Oh no no, my campaign is contemptible, it's just... My players choose to be this way, Dark Angel specifically, they make real decisions and I give them real consequences. And although it seems like they are royally F*@!ed, they always have a solution, choice is relevant and choice can leave you to... Death.

It sounds to me like Death would be an IDEAL ending compared to where they are headed!

It sounds to me like Death would be an IDEAL ending compared to where they are headed! RogalDorn01 said this.

The most popular theory in Warhammer 40k. A bad one I should say! Causing too many suicides already! Heres the current list.

1. Assualt Marine who killed his entire KT by blowing up a bioship before they could escape. He fell on his chainsword crying out "What a talent dies within me!"

2. Librarian who got 99 corruption points and the GM (me) decreed that when he got to a hundred he would become a traitor. He tried to kill himself by casting a vortex of doom under him. The entire KT was there to watch, until the vortex went haywire and most of the KT failed their agility tests...

3. Techmarine who tried to persuade the GM (not me) to let him be leader. The GM said no and so the techmarine was so dispirited that he jumped of the very top of the Spire. Three weeks later, an entire settlement was built around him called Dead Man's Tomb.

4. The most recent, a ship blew up and only the tactical marine survived. The ship was carrying all these supplies, ammunition and weapons so when it blew up all of them (apart from 4 terminator suits he saved) was lost. He pulled the pin of a grenade next to his head.

They performed the Canticle of Shotgun suckstarting...

They performed the Canticle of Shotgun suckstarting...

More like the canticle of lascannon suckstarting...

...I got bored while watching some bad TV.

The solution to that problem is to watch True Detective . It's aaaaawesoooome! :D

Time is a flat circle... grandpa Nurgle loves my hair-do.

Yes yes, I'm currently going through making some Deamons for our good ol' Friend Malice :) If anybody wants to contribute in any way, feel free :) <3

Please share any you make up, I could actually really use them!

Edited by Lord Master Igneus

Ah followers of Malice. Good times. Noone expects the Chaos Inquisition!!

I wrote this for use in Black Crusade but it seems topical. Enjoy.

The Dreadaxe , a mysterious pterodactyl headed axe of bone that is a Daemon Weapon with a Willpower of 50 and a Binding Strength of 1. To master the Dreadaxe, Chudderson must make an Ordinary (+10) Willpower test opposed by the Willpower 45 of the Daemon of Malice bound inside the axe. If your character wishes, he may swear to destroy Chaos in all its forms or otherwise dedicate himself to the lesser Dark God of Malal and receive an additional +10 to the Willpower test. If the Daemonic Mastery test is successful, he gains full control over the Dreadaxe (full stats below) until such time as he is stunned or he suffers temporary Willpower damage, in either event he'd have to make another opposed Willpower test with modifiers.

If at any point such a Daemonic Mastery Test is failed by the wielder, the daemon within the weapon may make a possession attack against its would-be master. If this succeeds, the wielder has succumbed and it is he who is the weapon’s slave until he can break free.

The Dreadaxe
Two-handed Melee, Damage 1d10+7, Pen 8, Fear (1), Proven (2), Sanctified (extra damage vs. Daemons), Soul Sucking (The first time you strike a foe each combat and that foe has more Corruption than you or if they are Daemons, or Chaos Spawn roll 2d5 if the total is greater than their WP bonus they die and you divide up their lowest characteristic by ten, with those points being used to advance any of your nine primary characteristics but never Infamy and the rest being absorbed by the Dreadaxe i.e. if the enemy had a WP of 30 you get a +3 advance to a characteristic of your choice and the Dreadaxe gains the remaining 27 points, please keep track of the points for every 100 you gain a +1d5 Infamy boost as long as you wield the Dreadaxe), Soul Thirster (any foe that is reduced to 0 wounds must make a Challenging +0 WP test or die when struck by the Dreadaxe, even if they haven't suffered any Critical Damage yet), Tearing (roll an extra die of damage so roll 2 keep 1), Unbalanced (–10 penalty to any Parry Skill Tests when wielding this weapon. Unbalanced weapons cannot be used to make Lightning Attacks), Unnaturally Persuasive (+2 automatic successes on any Fellowship based test made against another Heretic, stacks with Unnatural Fellowship but doesn't work on uncorrupted people), Vampiric (slain lifeforms restore 1d5 wounds to the wielder, i.e. kill a puppy to heal thyself), and Warp Weapon (ignore Armour and the AP generated from cover. Force fields and armour specially warded work normally against them). Furthermore you gain the Mark of Malal (see below).

Legendary Weapon
Each time you kill an Apostate, a Chaos Space Marine, or a Daemon Prince, with the Dreadaxe there is a cumulative 5% chance that it awakens further powers in the millennia old legendary weapon.

Gifts of Malice

1. Aberration: The heretic becomes a horrid hybrid of bird and insect, gaining the Unnatural Strength (+1) and Unnatural Toughness (+1) traits. The heretic must roll a d5 to see how many of his body parts change, roll on table 9-3 to determine the body locations (even rolls make the body part more avian/bird-like or more insectile on an odd roll). When his head changes, he also gains the Fear (1) trait but may have difficulty wearing helmets.
  2. Daemonic Name
  3. Daemonic Weapon: The character may generate a Daemon Weapon bound with the essence of a Beast of Malal. The daemon weapon counts as Sanctified against the forces of Chaos.
  4. Deathsight: One of the character's eyes falls out revealing a dark empty void. Henceforth, superimposed over everything he sees are the hundreds of possible deaths of anything or anyone he looks at for more than a moment. As a Full Action, character can make a challenging +0 Willpower test to deal damage equal to his corruption bonus to anyone he stares at within point blank range with a Penetration of 6. If he does so, he gains 1 Corruption point.
  5. Head of Malal: The character grows a second head, the head is argumentative and contrary to whatever position the character adopts, he gains +1d5 Intelligence, +2d5 Perception, and the Paranoia talent but suffers a -10 penalty to Conceal and Stealth tests as the second head has a tendency to spout off at inopportune times.
  6. Magnificent Horns
  7. Mark of Malal: The character gains the Betrayer talent and the Unnatural Agility (+2) trait
  8. Daemonic Warmount: Malal bestows an undying daemonic warmount on the Heretic which he can summon forth from the Warp as a full action, if the Warmount is ever destroyed, the Heretic loses 2d5 Infamy points and receives a replacement mount eleven days later minus a number of days equal to the Infamy lost. The Warmount has the Regeneration trait equal to the heretics current Infamy bonus, the Daemonic trait, and shares the Incorporeal trait with its rider.
  9. Renegade Flesh: The Heretics skin becomes pale and hairless, and he can extend his meat from his bones to entangle or suffocate a single target within point blank range. Increase his Agility by 10. The Heretic gains a +20 bonus on Climb Tests and grappling attacks.
  10. Double-Cross: Each of the weapons you own gains the Proven quality at a level equal to your Corruption bonus when used against a creature with more Corruption that you, when used against one of your allies, or when used against you.
  11. Pseudo Daemonhood; Malal: gains a pair of additional limbs that each end in a single huge scythe like claw (1d10+Sb, Felling, Razor Sharp, Pen = Fb)

Chart done.

01-10: Aberration
    11-20: Daemonic Name
    21-30: Daemonic Weapon
    31-35: Deathsight
    36-50: Head of Malal
    51-56: Magnificent Horns
    57-70: Mark of Malal
    71-80: Daemonic Warmount
    81-88: Renegade Flesh
    89-96: Double-Cross
    97+: Pseudo Daemonhood

I guess Pseudo Daemonhood should also give you the multiple arms trait.