A Handful of Noob Questions (Core Set)

By Anarchium, in CoC General Discussion

First, thanks for taking a little time to answer my questions. I'll try to keep them clear.

• My core set has 19 Miskatonic and 21 Agency cards. Is that right? If so, what's the reasoning?
  • Not sure I have this correct -- Pulled Under (Cthulhu) costs nothing to play but still requires a domain with two Cthulhu resources under the player's control AND an exhaustible character with at least 2 terror icons?
  • Scotophobia (Hastur): Does this make characters who normally can't be made insane, potentially made insane (if they lose a terror struggle)?
  • Performance Artist (Hastur): Can she be sacrificed to cancel the effects of an attachment/support card such as Ghoul Taint (Shub-Niggurath)? Does it make the support become unattached an discarded? Does it just make the card's ability not function? Does this not work at all?

I probably have more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Thanks!

First, thanks for taking a little time to answer my questions. I'll try to keep them clear.

• My core set has 19 Miskatonic and 21 Agency cards. Is that right? If so, what's the reasoning?
  • Not sure I have this correct -- Pulled Under (Cthulhu) costs nothing to play but still requires a domain with two Cthulhu resources under the player's control AND an exhaustible character with at least 2 terror icons?
  • Scotophobia (Hastur): Does this make characters who normally can't be made insane, potentially made insane (if they lose a terror struggle)?
  • Performance Artist (Hastur): Can she be sacrificed to cancel the effects of an attachment/support card such as Ghoul Taint (Shub-Niggurath)? Does it make the support become unattached an discarded? Does it just make the card's ability not function? Does this not work at all?

I probably have more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Thanks!

OK, I'm a bit of a noob myself but I'll have a go at answering these to test my own understandings:

1) Steve Clarney was originally a Miskatonic Character but was misprinted as an Agency Character and has been left that way so that causes the faction number discrepency.

2) Partially correct. Pulled Under is a Steadfast card and therefore: From the Rulebook: "Steadfast... When a player drains a domain in order to pay the resource cost of playing a Steadfast card, he must have at least that many resources on the total number of domains he controls (and make a resource match as normal). So you at least need either 2 Cthulhu resources in one domain or one in each of two domains. The rest of it you have correct, ie costs nothing and you need to be able to exhaust a character with at least (T)(T).

Also from the FAQ: "(2.18) Steadfast: If a Steadfast card has a printed cost of zero, the player must still control at least a number of resources of the correct faction equal to the amount of steadfast necessary to play the card, although that player does not need to drain a domain in order to play the card."

3) Correct. Scotophobia removes the opponent's characters' printed Terror icons so they are now vulnerable to going insane (unless some other effect would prevent this).

4) I think I'm right in saying that Performance Artist would only disrupt the passive effect of Ghoul Taint once, ie you could sacrifice PA to allow a character with GT attached to commit to a story during your turn. In other words the PA doesn't get rid of the attachment, it only stops its passive effect from working for long enough to allow you to commit, then its passive effect kicks in again.

Good on you for having a shot at answering those Sapper_D, and welcome to the game Anarchium!

1) Steve Clarney was originally a Miskatonic Character but was misprinted as an Agency Character and has been left that way so that causes the faction number discrepency.

2) Partially correct. Pulled Under is a Steadfast card and... So you at least need either 2 Cthulhu resources in one domain or one in each of two domains. The rest of it you have correct, ie costs nothing and you need to be able to exhaust a character with at least (T)(T)..."

Yes, correct.

3) Correct. Scotophobia removes the opponent's characters' printed Terror icons so they are now vulnerable to going insane (unless some other effect would prevent this).

4) I think I'm right in saying that Performance Artist would only disrupt the passive effect of Ghoul Taint once, ie you could sacrifice PA to allow a character with GT attached to commit to a story during your turn. In other words the PA doesn't get rid of the attachment, it only stops its passive effect from working for long enough to allow you to commit, then its passive effect kicks in again.

Tainted Ghoul's effect is known as a passive ability (as opposed to a triggered ability, which precedes with 'Action:', 'Response:', 'Forced Response:' or 'Disrupt:').

From the FAQ, hidden down in the Timing Structure in relation to passive abilities: " Passive effect cannot be canceled. " (See also the Frequently Asked Questions example regarding Hali's Directive vs Mr. David Pan in the FAQ.)

If the attachment (or character) in question had a triggered ability, like Patrol Wagon, then you could sacrifice Performance Artist to stop an instance of that, though - where your opponent still has to pay the cost to try to trigger it, but then you would cancel it and the effect would not occur. Once the ability is cancelled, the attachment (or character) is otherwise unaffected, though, and remains in play, where the opponent could attempt to trigger its ability again - unless that ability is a 'Response:', where according to the Core rules " A response can only be played once per trigger ", and reconfirmed for those cards with a 'Response:' that triggers from the discard pile as per the FAQ that " A card whose effect triggers as a response from the discard pile may only be triggered once per met trigger requirement. ". Note however that Performance Artist cannot target a card in the discard pile, or prevent an attachment from being played from hand on a character in the first instance, as she can only target a character or support card ability - where an 'ability' relates to cards in play (versus an 'effect' which relates to cards in or out of play). See 'Triggered Effects' vs 'Triggered Ability' in the Core rules for a tad more info on this differentiation, and also compare the wording on Performance Artist versus a card like Writhing Wall.

P.S. For the info of those playing along at home --

Scotophobia (Core, F97) reads:

Action: Until the end of the phase, each character controlled by an opponent loses all of its printed T icons.

Performance Artist (Core, F87) reads:

Disrupt: Sacrifice Performance Artist to cancel the effects of a character or support card ability.

Ghoul Taint (Core, F134) reads:

Attach to a character. Attached character cannot commit to a story on its controller's turn.

Patrol Wagon (Core, F15) reads:

Attach to a character.

Attached character gains Toughness +1.

Disrupt: Pay 2 to cancel 1 wound to attached character.

Writhing Wall (Secrets of Arkham, F40) reads:

Disrupt: Cancel a triggered effect. Then, draw a card.

Edited by jasonconlon

Thanks jasonconlon for the correction on the inability to cancel passive effects, and pointing out the relevant section of the FAQ - that was the one question/answer I was really unsure about and thought that I might have got it wrong, which I did...