Player Mistakes

By whotommy80, in Elder Sign

I'm new to this game, so I may have quite a few questions in the future, but for right now, I have some questions regarding some unintentional mistakes made while playing that I thought some of the veteran users might be able to help me out with:

1. Oops! I started an Adventure Card with a penalty that I could not fulfill i.e. In this instance, the penalty was a Sanity and Clue token, but I only had 2 Sanity and no Clue Tokens). My fellow player & I did not notice this error until I failed the tasks (the penalty was covered by a Monster). How would you handle this situation? Replay another Adventure? Do I die? Do I give up something else in lieu of a Clue Token? House rules? I realize that there are no set rules for this. Just wondering what others would do.

2. Similar question, although actual rules may apply here: the Terror Effect for a card stipulate that I lose a Trophy, but I have none to give. Does the Terror Effect not apply? Or do I die? Or can this Adventure Card not be played?

I appreciate your help with these! I anticipate that I will have more questions in the future as I play the game more!

1. You suffer as much of the penalty as it's possible (but I don't remember any adventure forcing you to lose a clue token, tho); the only case in which you're devoured is when your San or Sta are reduced to zero, or an effect explicitly says you're devoured.

2. As per above, if you don't have trophies to lose, nothing happens. So, being trophy-less is the good moment to attempt certan adventures.

And welcome to the game and the forum :) Enjoy your games, and if you have additional questions, just ask!

Thanks for responding! I look forward to playing more.

FYI the card is called "Administration Office". Maybe I interpreted the Penalty incorrectly?

Yep, Admin Office, if you fail, you GAIN a clue.

Thematically it means that even if you weren't able to find exactly what you were looking for, still, you found some info.

Another thing to watch out for that I didn't notice until I drew Nyarlothotep (I think that's the one) as my AOO is that you don't include the mask monsters unless you are playing without that particular AOO. Six games in and I'm still learning.

The main player mistakes that I see are people who believe that focussing happens with the same timing as spells. It doesn't. Spells can be resolved BEFORE a die is discarded focussing must be done after. I get a lot of questions about using spells to unlock die as well. You can use a spell to defeat a monster anywhere in the game but you don't get that die back to the pool until the end of turn.

Everything else as stated in other posts is pretty simple. In the opinion of the people I've played with it's a great well balanced game.