So basically rethemed CIA vs KGB?

By OpT1mUs, in Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion

Game seems identical?

My thoughts exactly.

I've seen ads for this Cold War game, but never had an interest in it. Star Wars is magical like that: it makes me interested in identical mechanics simply by virtue of the theme. After seeing this and other threads, I decided to watch some videos about Cold War: KGB vs. CIA. I'm excited to see how Star Wars will be similar and different. Will the Strategies take the place of the old occupations (assassin, director, etc.)?

I was disappointed at first, but after seeing how this game will work, I'm actually getting excited. I mean, how many Star Wars filler games are out there?

Edited by Budgernaut

I enjoy the Cold War game, it's a nice little game to fill in between bigger games of an evening. "You killed my Natasha!" in an awfully bad Russian accent has become a staple of game days among my friends. It's not my first thought for a new Star Wars game from FFG, but they've got to recoup that first year of having the license with no games put out somehow, I suppose. Hopefully we'll see more standalone games soon - maybe a deckbuilder a la Rune Age? That can be played solo? Who knows.

But all that aside, this looks like a fun game for about a tenner, so I'm definitely going to pick it up! As Budgernaut says, how many SW filler games do we have?

Yes! A Rune Age-like Star Wars game would be absolutely amazing!

I know, right!!?!?!!?

This isn't popular with everyone, I know, but I really hope that FFG can broaden the terms of their licence agreement to include the prequels, then bring us a Clone Wars type of battle game. They seemed to do it with Lord of the Rings, so I hope we can get something similar here.

While all these things aren't canon anymore, so it's dubious to what extent they'd be able to do this anyway, I'd really like to see a game with Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, Tholme, the Dark Woman, and that whole stable of characters from the Ostrander/Duursema run on the Republic series. Maybe, even further back, Tyvokka?

Because how good would it be to see stuff like this on cards:

Bulq_duel_zps4285cc29.jpg

oppo04_zpsb637f701.jpg

Tyvokka_zps45050224.jpg

I've enjoyed Cold War: CIA vs KGB for a few years and thought it would be perfect with a Star Wars theme. So excited to see it actually made with some added strategy. This game lools like a blast and I can't wait to play it.