Imaginative Line of Sight Question

By luckycharms94, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This is a very imaginative line of sight question that is clearly contradicted in the rules, but I think it would make more sense anyways.

Suppose a large monster with a ranged attack such as a naga, demon, chaos beast etc wants to attack a hero but LOS is blocked by multiple small monsters (beastmen, skeletons, sorcerers, etc). Since the creature is so much taller than the small creatures, wouldnt he be able to attack the hero anyways since he sees over the heads of the small guys?

demonio.gif <====big guy (demon, dragon, etc)

O

<O>

O

O

/ little guys (beastmen)===> demonio.gif demonio.gif gran_risa.gif <===hero

Hmmm... I see your point.

Not to overthink it, but I would guess that even though beastmen are "little" guys, they're still taller than most heroes, and the big bad doesn't want to shoot through their heads to hit the hero.

Maybe?

Might be a reasonable house rule though...

Dungeon. Low ceilings. Low enough that razorwings flying up at the ceiling are still within melee range of dwarves.

It could work as a houserule, but it seems like extra complication for little benefit. Also, if you were going to implement such a house rule, it would be fair to make it reciprocal--heroes should be able to shoot arrows and spells over the heads of the beastmen to hit the tall monster in the back.

Yeah, this game is complicated enough working in 2 dimensions. It doesn't need a third. :)

Veinman said:

Yeah, this game is complicated enough working in 2 dimensions. It doesn't need a third. :)

Amen. If you want proof go look at the rules for Soar, the current attempt at 3D fighting in Descent.