CAVE TROLL - reviews

By silenceindigo, in Cave Troll

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for online reviews of CAVE TROLL, especially reviews that would highlight the positive and negative aspects of game play experience.

I'm especially intrigued as to the purpose of the random cards; why shouldn't a player simply choose which token to move? And aren't the adventurers superfluous in this regard?

Would anyone know where I could find such information?

Thanks,

Have you tried BoardGameGeek.com yet?

I guess that's an answer to a lot of my questions... sonrojado.gif

i guess so happy.gif

The BGG is down right now sad to say, but they will bet the best source of reviews I would think.

THis one looks good I wonder how it compares to Drakon?

The cards do more to dictate which adventures can be played into the Dungeon. When it comes to moving, you can move anything of yours on the board. each turn you get four actions and may spend them as you wish. Cards played bring new adventurers into the dungeon while the other actions move characters and utilise special powers.

It is a really excellent little game. Quite thought provoking with a tough balance of choices between wanting to hurt your opponent and wanting to set yourself up.

My recommendation is to play more than once. On my first play I wasn't very impressed, however, a second play was much more strategic and interesting, and the game really improved in my eyes.

It't not a game I'll pull out all the time, but it is a neat little game that's fun to play and I'm glad it's in my collection!

Cheers,

Giles.

Good information. I've kept toying with picking this up myself. Sounds like a great game.

LeBlanc13 said:

Good information. I've kept toying with picking this up myself. Sounds like a great game.

I've got the original release, and although the game-play isn't bad, I found the colour/texture-details of the board, combined with the colours/details of the play chits, made it very hard on the eyes and brain when trying to "see" what was going on on the board. Everyone else I've played it with has had the same problem, and now the game is gathering dust in a corner as a result.

Maybe it's better when using mini-figs?! Actually, I'd be interested to know it that is the case.

toastcrumbs said:

I've got the original release, and although the game-play isn't bad, I found the colour/texture-details of the board, combined with the colours/details of the play chits, made it very hard on the eyes and brain when trying to "see" what was going on on the board. Everyone else I've played it with has had the same problem, and now the game is gathering dust in a corner as a result.

Maybe it's better when using mini-figs?! Actually, I'd be interested to know it that is the case.

I can't speak to Cave Troll, but I have the original release of Drakon and I have to say the new (third?) edition looks like its head and shoulders above mine in terms of production quality. I have some of the figs that were recycled into Descent, and they look nice. I'm seriously considering repurchasing Drakon (and Cave Troll, too) as I think the upgraded components make a huge difference.

I bought both Cave Troll and Draken at the same time a couple years ago. At the time we played Drakon and loved it. Played Cave Troll and didn't give it much thought, played maybe twice. We just brought back out last week and have played it 3 times. We were blinded by Drakon at the time.

Cave Troll is an excellent board control game that has a chess feel with a fantasy background. If your worried about randomness, don't be. The card deck is very small and you get to choose all your actions you take durring the game.

Has a ton of replayability. With different peices that have different weaknesses and streangths and two different versions of cards to play with you will have a new game every time. Oh and there a few artifact cards that can be found, but you will have to plan to use.

The minitures could be a little better in my version of the game. I don't know which one it is, but somtimes it's hard to tell the difference between a hero and an adventurer.

The cards used in the game are the mini board game cards and are easliy stored. Score is kept on a track on the outside of the board.

Good game, wish we would have not been blinded by Drakon when we first got it.

I definitely agree that this game is very well balanced. I also like the fact that the characters can be played two different ways. This is a fun game that doesn't get much playing time in my group. My two boys (ages 9 and 7) get a kick out of playing though, so it does hit the table every now and then.