Necrons And Dark Eldar

By Leo71, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Hey all, I just wanted to ask, what is the relationship between Necs and D.Eldars? I know that Eldars are like the sworn enemy of the Necron Race, but what about their emo brothers? Do they hate them as much or...? Thank you for your answers :)

They are not fans of each other.

Necron hate everything. End of. I think of them effectively having a massively bad hangover after the whole early wars and the early clashes with Eldar before humanity stepped in with its oversized boots to mess up a nice neat galaxy and the noise of sentient races is giving them a splitting headache. Hence they dislike everyone...and I am choosing to disregard Wardian tack which says otherwise. So they wont be allying with anyone any time soon.

Dark Eldar don't like anyone either, probably won't like Necrons any more so than other races. You cant get sadistic joy torturing a Necron, you cannot feast upon their souls to stave off She who Thirsts and you cannot really do decent raids on them. To them, a Necron is likely of little to no value for no rewards so what's the point?

Eldar and Dark Eldar will probably only battle the Necrons for one reason, self preservation. The only reason the Eldar probably fight them is that if the Necrons get a foothold and get too strong then the craftworlds and all Eldar will be doomed (as well as humans but they are expendable) and may go to tackle them head on. The D.Eldar meanwhile wont go looking for trouble and either slip away into the webway or only fight back if they have no choice.

Basically, no love loss between them.

Right right, but in the new fluff it is said that some Necron Dynasties are a bit more friendly than others? I mean I know Ward wrote it and I have no love for the man, but I don't think we can simply disregard it. I think its a good idea to give Necrons a little bit more personalites than Metal Tyranids.

[...] but I don't think we can simply disregard it. [...]

Yes. Yes we can.

I think its a good idea to give Necrons a little bit more personalites than Metal Tyranids.

Completely agree.

Is skynet (Terminator) the xenomorph (Alien)? I don't think so, so I think that calling Oldcrons "metal tyranids" is inaccurate, in my opinion- but it really is just a matter of nuance, and the difference is academic at best, so I don't feel much need to debate it any further.

More to the point- some people liked the "mechanical menace" of the Oldcrons. Some people like the idea of having Necron factions and "dynasties," and a least the lords having some amount of will and personality. Some people just want to see Ward burn.

I think all of these ideas have merit, personally. Run it your way.

DW's sources pretty much explicitly mix oldcron and newcron ideas and gives mechanisms for both to exist simultaneously (oldcrons mostly being lower-level units lacking true leadership beyond their basic programming). Compare oldcrons appearing in TEP to the newcrons from The Outer Reach. There's definitely room for both.

Edited by Kshatriya

They got rebranded to become Tomb Kings in spehss and yes I can disregard it because it is bonkers in the same way I dislike many elements of the 6th ed rules. The whole thought of Newcrons allying with marines really gets my goat up looking at how they were originally set up in 3rd Ed and where I grew to love them. I liked Oldcrons as they were portrayed as soulless logical killing machines without a sense of mercy. They didn't need a personality since what they were was just a terrifying concept thanks to Terminator. They wouldn't have allied with marines, period. Tyranids, it is said in fluff actively seek to avoid Necron worlds. This is probably because gauss vaporises organic matter so it cannot be recovered and necron stuff cannot be broken down as it phases away. There is no strategic benefit for them so they avoid the traces of them. I don't see then why they show up on a world with Necron and marines present even if it is a Blood Angel one, it's like entering a cell with a velociraptor and a dire wolf. You just don't do it since theres no actual sense to do so and likely it gets you into trouble or killed. What the hell was the hive mind thinking, was it drunk having eaten an entire planet of ethanol? So that was just really bad writing to crowbar that in and no way justified. Tau and Marines I can justify as Tau see logic and actively seek to ally with humans in places. Not newcrons...

I loved the whole Egyptian theme and the design don't get me wrong but I dislike some of the new named characters and how they are even vaguely considering any form of partnership with any other race. I liked them being genocidal characters who wanted to wipe out all other forms of life for no obvious reason. They don't do it because they want to feast on the warp entity that is the Emperor, they don't do it because they fight to survive, they don't do it to save their lost race, no they do it because they can and that to me is the best and only reason they ever needed. The ultimate in xenos cleansing, a 40k dalek.

Back to the plot then before I rant, I would never see a Necron allying with an Eldar or any form or anyone else for that matter but it is your game and you can have them working with Tau, Eldar, Orks and even Chaos into one nice little family if you so felt inclined! :)

I like oldcrons. But I also like the option of thrusting newcrons on my PCs at any time! That's the fun part! That way the players can never be sure if they are only facing mindless killing machines that can't be reasoned with or...

If there is only oldcrons, this is a bit boring because my players would metagame the hell out of them and not even stop for a moment considering if there was more to those killing machines. If there is only newcrons, then it's like any other faction except for the machine trait.

However, keeping oldcrons and keeping the door for sentient necrons (whether newcrons or your own personalities/culture) keeps the players ignorant of what exactly they are facing. And the key to fear is ignorance (yes, inspired by Paranoia RPG).

Have an old Space Marine tell the players stories, rumours about other types of necrons out there. Necrons that talk. Or tales of necrons that are machine breeding (hey, rumours don't need to be accurate) somewhere among the stars. Necrons are all about making your player's hairs rise. demonio.gif

Alex

Edited by ak-73

Okay, no one is going to argue that The BA/Necrons friendship is magic senario is at best underwritten, at worst a vialation of seperate ideolagies. With that said though, in the new fluff, there are a mix of old and new, as there are some tomb worlds that are mindless puppets, wishing to destroy all life just like the Oldcrons. But the addition of a new idea, those dynasties, while make Necrons a lot like the Toooomb Kings in Sppeeeeeeeeeeeeeehs(Which they were from the start anyway, mind you, just like Chaos and Eldars(High Elves)), they have become more three dimentional. Now, it will take time for the fluff to settle and for mistakes to be erased, but I think we should give it a chance to expand, and to be given into the hands of someone, anyone, but Ward. Agree?

I have to say...I couldn't care less about necrons until the new stuff came out. They were so depressing to build/paint/play with. There was nothing interesting about them at all. At least now they are cool and have character. Your regular minions are still the same old "terminators" (but dumber.)