Question about Thousand Sons

By Corax291, in Black Crusade

Hello, I have a question :
One of my players want to play a Thousand Son, I'm okay with that, but what about the Gift of the Dark Gods/Tzeentch Rewards?

I mean a Thousand Son is just a soul trapped in armour, so how can he get mutation?
The same question for the ultimate goal ( obtain 100CP ).

I have read the Tome of Fate, but I find nothing about that.
I know lot of stuff about the fluff of w40k and I never see a Thousand Son Daemon Prince
( Except Magnus ).

I was searched in the forum but the opinions are divided. So I come ask the question directly.

The Rubicae, the empty Armors, are only those former marines of the Legion that had no increased and rather mighty psycic potential at the time Ahriman casted his spell. The only "living" Thousand Sons left, as in flesh and blood, are sorcerers.

yes, Rubicae are not much more than say a Servitor under the control of Sorcerer, they have no will or intelligence of there own, thats why the rulebook states them as followers not as a character class

I know lot of stuff about the fluff of w40k and I never see a Thousand Son Daemon Prince

( Except Magnus ).

Phokulozortis (in the Tome of Fate) says hello!

That name always makes me giggle.

BYE

"All according to plan!" I am sure. ;)

The Rubicae, the empty Armors, are only those former marines of the Legion that had no increased and rather mighty psycic potential at the time Ahriman casted his spell. The only "living" Thousand Sons left, as in flesh and blood, are sorcerers.

Fluff-wise, you are absolutely right. For purposes of letting players be creative within the fluff, if the player can come up with a cool/plausible idea, then go for it. For example, the 1000 Son was "lost in the warp" at the time of the Rubric and, thus, emerged unscathed.

There is still the whole Blood Ravens speculation about whether or not they actually originated from Thousand Sons. Nothing official ofcourse.

Perhaps some of the corrupted ones decided to embrace their roots as Thousand Sons? ;)

Okay, thanks for the answers.

There is still the whole Blood Ravens speculation about whether or not they actually originated from Thousand Sons. Nothing official ofcourse.

Perhaps some of the corrupted ones decided to embrace their roots as Thousand Sons? ;)

Didn't even think about that... if I didn't despise the Blud Magpies so much, I'd consider allowing that as a background for a character. But, as it is, they are on the short list of chapters so insipid that CSM PCs cannot originate from them in my campaigns.

Well, it doesn't have to be a Blood Raven per se, since that's most likely their coverup name for their possible traitorous origins.

I'd alternatively just use it as an excuse that a splinter group of Thousand Sons survived in a similiar fashion as the Blood Ravens.

Just exploit that hole in the lore, THQ is dead so there never will be an official answer on this.

Edited by Gridash

FYI, the Vaults of Terra channel touches the subject of this connection well, for the ones who don't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQCx1q5XZg#t=540

Or just read about it. :)

Edited by Gridash

Fluff-wise, you are absolutely right. For purposes of letting players be creative within the fluff, if the player can come up with a cool/plausible idea, then go for it. For example, the 1000 Son was "lost in the warp" at the time of the Rubric and, thus, emerged unscathed.

For all intents and purposes, sorcery originates in the warp, so I don't see that as a plausible explanation.

A better explanation? The Thousand Sons Marine was not in the warp, but in realspace, just not at the time when Ahriman cast the Rubric. If he travelled through the warp and was present at a different point in time at the moment of the Rubric, he should've been able to come out unscathed. He could then have travelled back to after the casting of the Rubric, and been unscathed.

Probably with a seething hatred for Ahriman and his sorcerers, though.

That is the very standard explanation for all these pre-heresy TT Legion armies I saw. xD

But you are right, It is kinda difficult for the Thousand Son legion degenerated pretty much the same time as a whole (Never ever trust Tzeentch!^^) and that was the very reason for such a mighty spell that had to affect the entire legion in the first place. Maybe he was lost on a Ship the Legion escaped on to the eye of terror? Some small vessel with only one or two astartes command and the rest servants? it was damaged and he escaped, heavily wounded when he sealed him self in some sort of stasis chamber on the medi-deck? After he left he was just another curiosity, a "mutation" from the new norm of the legion and hence not mutated afterwards? Doomed to live as a bad joke, a reminder of what the legion once was?

Edited by FieserMoep

For all intents and purposes, sorcery originates in the warp, so I don't see that as a plausible explanation.

A better explanation? The Thousand Sons Marine was not in the warp, but in realspace, just not at the time when Ahriman cast the Rubric. If he travelled through the warp and was present at a different point in time at the moment of the Rubric, he should've been able to come out unscathed. He could then have travelled back to after the casting of the Rubric, and been unscathed.

Gellar Field. Boom...

Also...

Temporal Mechanics hhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Gellar Field. Boom...

Also...

Gellar fields doesn't seem to cut you off from the warp in any way, it just creates a bubble of realspace that allows you to travel within the warp. Enforcing the physical laws of the materium, I guess.

Temporal Mechanics, though? Much safer bet.

Gellar Field. Boom...

Also...

What about the Gellar Field? All that does is create a small bubble of realspace around itself. It won't protect you from sorcery on this scale any more than the gellar field will break your inherent connection to the warp (your "soul") or prevent psykers from using their powers within the field. You could probably put up a Gellar field and then perform a ritual right there, inside of it, and summon a daemon straight from the warp.

Gellar fields doesn't seem to cut you off from the warp in any way, it just creates a bubble of realspace that allows you to travel within the warp. Enforcing the physical laws of the materium, I guess.

Temporal Mechanics, though? Much safer bet.

I guess I view gellar fields as more than a rubber dingy on an ocean of lava. Who knows.

Edited by Traejun

The thousand sun sorcerers aren't souls trapped in armor. They're normal flesh and blood like every other marine. Only the ones too weak to resist the ritual are mindless automatons.

If Gellar fields cut off your connection to the warp, how the hell can a navigator... navigate while the Gellar field is functional and stopping him getting turned into a deamons personal loofa?

If Gellar fields cut off your connection to the warp, how the hell can a navigator... navigate while the Gellar field is functional and stopping him getting turned into a deamons personal loofa?

It doesn't. If a Gellar Field cut everyone off from the warp, everyone (with a soul) inside would likely die. Inside of a Gellar Field, the Navigators still have a warp-portal in their face, all psykers can still use psychic powers, and daemons can run amok along the hallways, and if a daemon "dies", they will collapse back into warpstuff and be pulled into the warp.

All a Gellar Field does is enforce a bubble of realspace while a ship is in the warp, with all that implies.

I know, I was being rhetorical ;)

It does have limited warp-shielding abilities - not, as noted, that it'd prevent a psyker using his powers, but it prevents anything in the warp 'breaching' reality at that point (which is possible with suitable preparation in 'normal' realspace), a bit like the "warp quake" power in the Grey Knights discipline.

This was used in the Horus Heresy books in that the Primarch Laboratory was protected by a Gellar Field preventing the chaos gods reaching in and poking them nascent primarchs until it suffered a catastrophic failure for [Reasons],.