Opposite player alignments

By Edain, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi there, if one player is devoted to Khorne and another to Tzeench, shoud they kill each other immediately or do i have to close one eye because they are players and not npcs?

That depends entirely on how sane, mature, and RP inclined the PLAYERS are. If they want to PVP, I'd let them.

My players are a bit different, they want infighting, discussions, and social conflict borne out of RP situations.

In my group there are two Slaanesh worshippers, one Khorne worshipper, a Nurgle worshipper and a Tzeentchian Psyker.

So it is a full house, and they all work together (and plot and scheme against each other) to launch a Black Crusade.

The Khornate player is generally content with being a daemonic footsoldier /Shocktrooper general. As long as the blood will flow in rivers. He is known to lash out against the others if provoked and has also killed a minion or two, belonging to another player.

The Psyker is playing his own game, setting other players up for failure through clever plots and machinations. He is the wild card.

The First Slaanesh player just wants to see the Galaxy burn in a giant orgy of destruction.

The second doesn't care much about anything - other than himself, he is the ultimate ego-maniac and hedonist.

The Nurgle player wants to become immortal.

Its all in the initial setup, the subsequent character development and how mature the players are.

Death is not a solution to conflicting views imho - and it only dumbs down the experience for everyone involved.

Instead, we have tons of fun living out the rivalry, intrigue and plotting, that takes place within the Warband.

It largely depends on the character's interpretation of his creed. There's absolutely no reason why a khornate would immediately murder a psyker just for being a psyker. Khorne himself, as an entity of the warp, hates psykers - yes, as much is true - but the player isn't Khorne.

He's a vessel for Khorne's will, but he's also his own person, with his very much personal goals. There is not even a guarantee that someone aligned to Khorne is following the khornate creed, or is a member of a khornate cult. It simply means that as a person dedicated to the Dark Gods, he has become aligned to Khorne, meaning that Khorne (or some subject daemon or daemon prince of Khrone) has taken an interest in him, and granted some form of blessing.

What should drive the players are their character's character. Not what alignment they have. If they are aligned to a Chaos God, they might exhibit certain twists to their original character, such as a nurglite taking an increasingly disturbing shine to diseases, or a slaaneshi character becoming increasingly obsessed with his craft. But even so, this should be secondary to the character's nature and simply an effect of the characters drawing the ire or praise from forces beyond their control.

Would it be appropriate for the khornate player's character to attack psykers on sight? Then he should. But only if it's appropriate to the character, not because "Whoops, with my last advance, I'm now aligned to Khorne. Don't blame me because I kill you, it's simply Khorne's will!" . I'd set fire to a player that did that so fast it's not even funny.

Thanks guys. :)

I wonder what would happen if a team got assembled with 1 character as a Khorne Champion (archetype) and another character does the same, but for Slaanesh.

Maybe the archetypes aren't supposed to be taken literally, although I always thought that the champions ARE trying to get as close as possible to their patron's views.

Edited by Gridash

Although maybe it's the other way around as in, the gods taking notice of characters and making them their Champion as a result.

Champion is not nessesarily aspiring to be a zealus adherent of ruinous powers. He just sees his path to glory by becoming a powerful leader, not peerless warrior (like chosen), bending reality to his will (sorcerer) or being self-sufficient and independent (forsaken).

Currently at work so I couldn't reread the description for champions. It makes sense that it follows the same lines that were discussed previously in this thread. Thanks for the quick answer!

And never forget the adventures your running should have lots of common interest elements. "i want to kill imperials!" " I want to test my new plague" "I want to make the warden of the prison suffer"
"Greats let all go unleash hell on the prison planet"

Any don't forget one champion may tolerate another because his usefulness is greater than his annoyance

or "yeah he may be khorne but he's dancing on my spider web just as i planned"

I think as GM where these relationships really shine is when each player has a slightly different secondary motive as part of the pact and eventually collide in mutually exclusive outcomes.

Primary objective: sack the mansion

Khorne secondary objective destroy this powerful sorceress amulet

Nurlge secondary: retrieve it to trade for your terminator armor you want

Tzeentch: "Hey guys theres an amulet in here i want for personal use"

Khorne hates psykers/sorcerers, it's true, but it'd be hard to come up with something in the universe that he *doesn't* have the burning urge to destroy. Khornate worshippers have traditionally found sorcerers to be useful for summoning demons and the dirty work of getting possessed, but they don't follow their advice and hold that a true warrior should rely on force of arms and not tricks or sorcery. Fundamentally they're going to get in arguments about the best way to do things, if they're in the same party; typically the Khornate is going to want to solve problems through the immediate and overwhelming application of violence, whereas a Tzeentchian is going to want to come at their enemies from unexpected angles, and rely on psychic powers and trickery to see victory. If they find a good compromise they can go far. There are many problems that can be solved through violence, and, while it is rarely a perfect solution, a good solution executed violently today is better than a perfect solution tomorrow; conversely, trickery, guile, and magic can unluck almost any door, given a user with the will and intelligence to apply those tools properly. Chaos's strength is in the seemingly contradictory coexistence of opposites. Tzeentch's impulse and hope against Nurgle's resilience and despair; Slaanesh's self-indulgence and self-validation against Khorne's all-encompassing obliteration. That's why the Warp is known as a place where the impossible is possible, and that's the strength of Chaos - not a purity of doctrine and leadership, but a corruption of the same. There's a reason characters in Black Crusade become more powerful the more corruption they gain (until the point of critical existence failure, anyway).

Plus a Khornate character would be more likely to kill a Slaanesh follower than a Tzeentchian one, so there's that. ;)

BYE