3 or 4 player games possible?

By JSArrakis, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Reading through the basic description of the rules, it doesnt sound like there would be something in the rules blocking the possibility of 3 or 4 players playing the game. You might not be able to take allies for various reasons, but I can see that the only thing that would have to be enforced with 4 players: no allies.

So would 3 or 4 players be possible?

Games with 2 crearly defined sides of the board are no multiplayer friendly.

Anyway, you can take the path of Blood Bowl Team Manager and do 1vs1 mini-battles, although the main battle phase in the first planet should be handled differently.

Games with 2 crearly defined sides of the board are no multiplayer friendly.

Anyway, you can take the path of Blood Bowl Team Manager and do 1vs1 mini-battles, although the main battle phase in the first planet should be handled differently.

I was thinking more of how smashup was played, but instead of piling on the bases to "close" them like smash up, you could have a grand brawl between the players over the planets. It would make it a bit more complicated but as you choose which units on the planet youre going to attack with what, you (player A) could potentially have one unit attack one of player B's units with one of the units you have on the planet and then attack one of player C's units with a different unit. Or just completely pile on player D if you wished.

the only rules problem I can see with 3+ players is the win condition as there are only 10 planets it is possible to fight for all 10 and not have a winner.

the problem is easily fixed with new (from FFG or home made) or repeated planets.

while that is the minimum requirement i might be worth considering upping the number of planets in play from 5 to 7-8 and possibly have the first 2 planets captured each turn to speed up and balance the game

I hope you are right. My friends and I like to play 1v1 and 2v2 games!

it should be simple enough to make working 2v2 rules but if FFG makes "official" rules (either melee or team style) they will likely add some new element to it like they did for GOT melee and SW 2v2