Scenario 10 musings

By tamsyn, in Arkham Horror League

So far we have not managed to win against scenario 8, going to try again this afternoon.

Then again, I've just read scenario 9, and I reckon we're all screwed anyway. epic battle cards are not our friend.

If that is 9, what is left for 10?

I assumed that Scenario 10 would be with Cthulhu as Ancient One, but he's in Scenario 9, so my new guess would be Azathoth. Finishing with a scenario that makes the normally easiest AO almost impossible to defeat would be cool. Shub-Niggurath is also a good possibility. Or we will get a scenario with two AOs.

Morgaln said:

I assumed that Scenario 10 would be with Cthulhu as Ancient One, but he's in Scenario 9, so my new guess would be Azathoth. Finishing with a scenario that makes the normally easiest AO almost impossible to defeat would be cool. Shub-Niggurath is also a good possibility. Or we will get a scenario with two AOs.

the goat expansion wasn't part of the league so it will just be stupidly hard.

we managed to win with scenario 8 but with an average score. since our aim is to get to the end with the same characters we started with we are going to go with it...

We were not able to finish #8 without at least one character devoured, so now we're fighting Cthulhu without Joe Diamond (my character, no less *sigh*). First attempt -- after three grueling hours, Cthulhu wakes up and beats us senseless.

#10 has us scared. I want to say Azathoth as the Ancient One, but that almost seems like a let down. I would have to guess that if we have to go against Azathoth there will be other effects that will increase the speed at which it wakes up -- which doesn't fill me with any confidence, I must say. JR did let slip that #10 was supposed to be next to impossible, and with #9 being as difficult as it has been so far, I can also say I'm scared. But I love this game and the league so much I really don't care. I want a difficult time, and I am sure getting it.

I'm sorry, I still don't see how scenario 9 would be hard. You can freaking draw from the exhibit item deck instead of the unique item deck! (I.e. making the odds of getting elder sign scrolls much higher). And you get two clue token placements per turn. It's almost as good as having Nodens. So what if monsters have double movement? That's kindof annoying, but double clue tokens more than makes up for it. Winning the game should be fairly easy with so many clues available.

Avi_dreader said:

Winning the game should be fairly easy with so many clues available.

Not yet, I just finished the Y'Golnac scenario last week. I'll do the last three during my winter break (in a few weeks). I am quite good at figuring out how to break scenarios (and so far I haven't been wrong about difficulty predictions).

Oooo... Wait a second... This actually might be really difficult for my team (3 players). Do two rift markers get flipped every turn? Blarg... Keeping two investigators in Kingsport will be a major pain in the ass... Still... With the bonus clue tokens it shouldn't be *too* hard... ::Sigh:: I think maybe the best strategy might be skip shopping at the beginning of the game, and go for a double seal from clue collection while sending a third investigator to KP to try and keep a rift from opening, then after you have two gates sealed, send one of the returning investigators, or both to Kingsport for a turn or two, then repeat the process ::shrug:: this might work... A rumor would really screw things up though. Heh :') perhaps I shall have some fun with this one after all. (It would be a cakewalk with four investigators though).

What is the name of scenario 10 and where can you get it now that the website has changed?

Thanks

My guess for scenario 10 is Azathoth as the AO. Remove all the items/missions that can wake the AO early or bring an early victory such as join the winning team. I also think it will be a draw and resolve two mythos cards each turn including the gate opening. Only awaken Azathoth if the doom track is full (ignore that maximum number of open gates). This scenario will probably include the KiY herald and possibly one of the guardians from Kingsport.

We're going to try scenario 9 with good ol' mandy and joe tomorrow (still alive since sc1). wish us luck. i'll let you know how it goes!

tamsyn said:

We're going to try scenario 9 with good ol' mandy and joe tomorrow (still alive since sc1). wish us luck. i'll let you know how it goes!

Sure, rub it in. I miss Joe, and it's only been the one scenario so far.

I'd hate to be playing #9 with only two investigators. Ick. We beat the scenario last week when we played it again. It was a close thing, and we got screwed a few times, but we won -- and it only took 4 hours (8 investigators).

we managed it, with a pathetic score but we don't care, we survived another scenario! see the separate thread for how we did it.

Looks like it's definately Azathoth, looking at bthe front page news...

Garzini said:

Looks like it's definately Azathoth, looking at bthe front page news...

::Laughter:: how about this for a killer scenario... Azathoth with Grozoth (sp?) and Atlach's gate bursting ability ;'D Wouldn't *that* be fun? ;'D

I hope it's the hardest scenario, the ultimate challenge! Already, not being able to win by killing the GOO makes it more fun.

After reading the teaser I could imagine the terror level starting at 10 for this scenario.

"We still eagerly await Scenario 10, imho it should be something like: "Azatoth is the ancient one, clue tokens cannot be used to seal gates, remove all elder signs from the unique deck, remove all elder parchments from the exhibits deck, the outskirts limit is 0"

We barely managed to beat Cthulhu (got incredibly lucky), the last scenario should be next to impossible :) "

From the main board. This would be a nightmare scenario. The only victory condition would be all gates closed and number of gate trophies equal to the number of investigators. Even with a really good team you would be relying on a lot of luck to have a bunch of monster surges, not new gates opening. Probably the best tactic would be to claim enough trophies then farm for the encounter at the scince building that lets you use the machine to close the remaining gates.

Argonel said:

"We still eagerly await Scenario 10, imho it should be something like: "Azatoth is the ancient one, clue tokens cannot be used to seal gates, remove all elder signs from the unique deck, remove all elder parchments from the exhibits deck, the outskirts limit is 0"

We barely managed to beat Cthulhu (got incredibly lucky), the last scenario should be next to impossible :) "

From the main board. This would be a nightmare scenario. The only victory condition would be all gates closed and number of gate trophies equal to the number of investigators. Even with a really good team you would be relying on a lot of luck to have a bunch of monster surges, not new gates opening. Probably the best tactic would be to claim enough trophies then farm for the encounter at the scince building that lets you use the machine to close the remaining gates.

You should use the mission that lets you close all the gates. It's much easier than the random encounter method.

Avi_dreader said:

Argonel said:

You should use the mission that lets you close all the gates. It's much easier than the random encounter method.

Could always try for both. However all missions require visiting 4 different outwords right? If you don't know where your gate is going it is a lot harder to plan. Also with the skyscaper unique item decks you get with everything shuffled together you may have to do a lot of digging to find that mission.

Argonel said:

Avi_dreader said:

Argonel said:

Could always try for both. However all missions require visiting 4 different outwords right? If you don't know where your gate is going it is a lot harder to plan. Also with the skyscaper unique item decks you get with everything shuffled together you may have to do a lot of digging to find that mission.

No, you're thinking of a different mission. Heh... Yeaaaaah.... It would be a bit difficult to dig through the unique deck with a smaller team, but if you have a larger team you could probably hold off death long enough while you do enough fundraising and bank loans to be able to afford to make it through the unique deck.