So I tried the torchlight variant...

By Artaterxes, in DungeonQuest Revised Edition

um........

didn't like it. ><

Made the game a lot easier...I avoided lots of bad spaces, and more easily made it to the center... I never felt nervous going forward.

My wife liked it, and she normally hates DungeonQuest. The Torchlight variant actually got her playing. But then again she thinks DungeonQuest and Talisman in their native states are dumb. And yet, they're my favorite games. She'd get along well at BGG... she loves Terra Mystica, which I think is drier than... anyway! Sorry, went completely off the rails there! :P

But yeah, did anyone else try the torchlight variant? What do you think?

Edited by Artaterxes

Yeah, we played it...i was sorta like you...I guess I couldn't really decide if I liked it better or not...a few more plays with it maybe, but it does seem to make it less challenging, although many people say Dungeonquest is TOO challenging so I guess it will help most people...

I agree DQ is too challenging, but I'm one of those guys who likes it that way. =P

Yep, that's why I love it too. I don't mind that on the fourth turn I surfaced from the catacombs only to find myself beheaded by a swinging blade. That's the streetz yo.

We decided that the torchlight variant bogged the game down a bit, because you're sometimes drawing three or four tiles at once...too slow!

I haven't played it yet, and I've only played third edition recently for my first time, so here's my take for what it's worth.

My hunch is I'll like torchlight variant more simply because it will make me feel like I actually have some say in what happens. It may not be much, but I'll at least have some meaningful decision to make. Deadly trap this way, or less deadly trap that way?

My experience with third edition was very much the cliche'd one, that I'm sure many DQ fans enjoy; it was essentially totally random. See here.

It was cool, and good for a laugh (I did thereafter buy revised edition), but what's the point of having treasure cards and catacombs, and choosing which way to go, and all that, if ultimately you're moving blindly into a die roll? It's not challenging at all. It's random.

No amount of skill or planning can overcome and entirely random series of events. May as well just sit there and roll dice until someone rolls a 1. It was just too random to feel like any decision I made had any bearing at all on the outcome.

I'm looking forward to getting revised to the table and trying it with the Torchlight Variant. I'll be sure to provide my feedback once I've given it a go.

Tried Torchlight variant for the first play through with a new group.

Then we played non-variant. Everyone likes the regular version better.

Torchlight seemed to increase everyone's chance of getting to the treasure chamber, but everyone felt it made the game less fun. So, at least for now, we'll be sticking to non-torchlight variant.