To the Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta Community

By Kainus, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Hi all,

With the closing of this forum, I remember just how much time I've spent here in the past year. I lurked for quite a while, mainly becoming active on these forums during the Beta's version update.

Yes, I certainly spilled some vitriol on the board and I won't lie, I'm kinda ashamed of it. But at the same time, I really enjoyed being apart of this community of incredibly passionate people. Checking these boards became a daily routine for me, and the design ideologies behind each username really came into manifest. Tom Cruise, GauntZero, and cps come to mind.

If I disagreed with you, understand that I was always pleasantly vindicated to be discussing the Beta with someone equally as passionate. I know that sounds selfish, but it only fueled my desire to contribute to the community.

It's also taught me a few things- mainly how easy it is to generalize communities of others on the internet. In my most toxic moments, I definitely perpetuated the image of the community as a monolithic entity, disregarding the individuals who composed it. It's an incredibly easy fallacy to fall into on the internet.

In retrospect, I enjoyed this board immensely.

Despite our disagreements, I'd discuss Dark Heresy over a beer with any of you, any day of the week.

Edited by Kainus

Very big of you. I'm glad you appreciated my posts, and I think I'm going to miss this forum in a weird way.

For my part, I really enjoyed the effortposts of Morangius, Simsum and Nimsim (curse their similar names!) that explained with proof why they were correct. Keep up the good work, guys.

Probably the best part of this forum was that no matter where we stood on an issue of game design, we were all dissatisfied with how FFG handled it. Really brought people together.

Yeah, I've enjoyed the arguments and discussions on here to a weirdly large extent. It's been fun, and evidently I spent a lot more time here than I thought. Seriously, look at that post count. I had maybe 10 posts on these forums before the beta.

I doubt I'll be posting on the FFG forums much in future. I'm moving further and further away from the 40kRPGs in terms of what I like in a system, so I doubt I'll have much reason to stick around. I'll probably just run my Dark Heresy games in Fate from now on.

Anyway, considering I won't be sticking around much, feel free to drop me an email if you want to keep in contact, we can exchange Skype names or something. Email address is [email protected]

I take a lot of pride in my email address.

I'm going to miss arguing with people over rules minutiae and making up my own sub-systems for things. I think there were three or four things I started working on that I ended up giving up on, including the play by post on the forum. Anyway, good talking with y'all.

I'm guilty of that too. I really need to learn to set achievable goals, and not start projects when I'm neck deep in assignments. Sorry for those couple of collaboration attempts that petered out.