Fear

By Jedhead, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hey all!

I am somewhat active on the X-Wing forums as of late, but I have long been a lurker in these parts as well. I happen to be a huge fan of Diskwars, and I am hoping to start posting on here a bit more often.

For my first post, though, I just want to say that fear looks totally ridiculous (I mean that in a good way). It looks really strong and I am extremely excited to see it in action! It will be a great counter to swift defenders, and I can see it coming in handy in many other situations.

Welcome to our little part of the boards!
You'll soon notice we're unfortunately not nearly as active as the X-Wing forum, but it's a cozy little community here nonetheless. I'm sure as the expansions are released it'll pick up as well.

And hells yeah, am I excited for the expansions :D

For my first post, though, I just want to say that fear looks totally ridiculous (I mean that in a good way). It looks really strong and I am extremely excited to see it in action! It will be a great counter to swift defenders, and I can see it coming in handy in many other situations.

In fairness, the only things we know that have it are the Zombie Dragon and the Black Knights. The dragon is quite a bit slower and has a lower toughness than its living counterpart (to the point that a couple of damage 2 hits could wound it), and the Black Knights are even more dependent on Fear - remove that and compared to knights panther (the closest equivalent), it's a unit with a lower attack and no resistant (melee) for more points!

Used right, fear is devastating. But because it only works on counterattack, it makes black knights even more charge-dependent than other cavalry.

In fairness, the only things we know that have it are the Zombie Dragon and the Black Knights. The dragon is quite a bit slower and has a lower toughness than its living counterpart (to the point that a couple of damage 2 hits could wound it), and the Black Knights are even more dependent on Fear - remove that and compared to knights panther (the closest equivalent), it's a unit with a lower attack and no resistant (melee) for more points!

Used right, fear is devastating. But because it only works on counterattack, it makes black knights even more charge-dependent than other cavalry.

Agreed. I am by no means suggesting that it is OP, merely that it is a strong ability that will add some interesting tactical options that haven't been there in the past.

Indeed. It essentially allows you to pin a disk - or even a couple of disks - at no risk to yourself. Of course, you have to make sure you're the one doing the pinning, not the other way around - which is going to mean keeping your Fear -causing units protected from the enemy until you're ready to let them slip (and even afterwards) - I suspect the ability to throw Reanimated cheap units out there as blockers and distractions will be key to this.

I think Dark Elves and Skaven might see their fair share of Fear as well. I am rather curious if the other main faction focu expansions will release new mechanics, or if they will just expand on what is already there, unit wise, such as Dark Elves having fear and other already established mechanics.

I imagine you'll see new mechanics. Fear is very much an undead thing - bear in mind that neither the bloodthirster nor the sun dragon have it, so it would have to be a very, very good reason to include it, not just because "it's a big monster".

Dark Elves will probably get a fair number of 'swift' units, but I'll be interested to see how they make the army suitably 'dark elven' - blackshard repeater crossbows are easy (crossbow range, higher number of dice but lower damage per hit), and dreadspears can pretty much look like Militia Spearmen with different artwork.

The trick will be how they choose to do the Witch Elves and Assassins. I might suggest a chariot unit, too - help draw the line between them and silver helms.