Help: situational encounters

By Braddoc, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

Long post, bear with me here

First of all...

DARK HERESY REDUX PLAYERS, BEGONE!

No seriously, don't read the thread, it'll ruin both the surprise and your own enjoyment.

Right.

Now for the filler/background, you can cut that and go to the last paragraph.

So my campaign is a Dark Heresy one, and my players just reached Ascension. So instead of navigating the Lucid Palace and all that fun cloak and dagger stuff, they're being send into the Koronus Expanse to bring back a Rogue Trader to face Imperial Justice after a failed coup d'état on a planet in the Periphery (where his minions also tortured the player's Inquisitors- also a crime-, forcing them to go rescue him and foiled the plans of the RT), dealings in the Cold Trade (some of his agents were 'caught' trying to sell away a few cases of Eldar Weaponry) and seemingly having some sort of business arrangement with the Beast House.

About the RT and such:

Augaustus von Gould is as roguish as Rogue Trader goes; suspected of numerous less-than-legal actions, including (but not limited to) piracy, smuggling, cold trading, Theft of tithe, numerous assassination of high ranking Adptus officials (he was the power behind the killing of one of the PC's father , who was killed by the PC no less, tricked into believing her father was cutting off the top from the tithe), harbouring, selling arms and resources to enemies of the Imperium. He evade justice by his own Warrant of Trade, "leaving the scene" before official inquires can be had, and plausible deniability (most of his dealings being handled by his agents, minions and third parties.)

Rogue Trade von Gould has not set foot in the Imperium for decades now, at least 70-80 years since entering the Koronus Expanse, leaving his numerous ships (from merchant vessels to cruisers) sailing to Port Wander or the Calixis Sector to conduct his nefarious deeds.

They learned that von Gould has been hiring mercs with good regularity for the last 20-30 years, and by mercs, it's the thuggish, sadistic type,who'd kill their own mother for a handful of thrones, lousy reputation and crappy ethics. He also moved alot of colonists but very little, if any, missionaries with them.

The players are:

Mira-Female assassin (now Interrogator), she was tricked to kill her own father by her master, Gallus- during the coup d'état, she shockingly learned that Gallus was/is working for von Gould. He was killed, but turns out it was some mechanical decoy (a Life Model Decoy). Later he was again killed (with blood and guts) during the Eldar Weapon trade that took a turn for the horrible). She learned that her father was a Throne Agent, her family bound to the Inquisition since eons, adding to the irony of it all. Excellent social skills, agile fighter; she's got an Eldar flip Belt, Lathe Blade and a pair of custom auto-pistols

Grendel- male Tech-Priest, Divinie Light of Sollex, (Now Magos) Young Grendel wanted to be a soldier when he grow up; instead he became a Tech-Priest and joined the Sollex Cult. Quite pious, almost zealot. Build for combat, with dragonscale armour, augur implants, cerebral implant, optical, utility, medicae, ballistic and weapon mecharendrites. He's got an integrated Lathes las rifle, Mecharendrite bolt pistol, mecharendrite power blade, Omnissiah Axe and possibly half a dozen other weapons I'm forgetting because he didn't used them recently...and let's not begin with all the Luminen powers he's got.

Jon- Male Arbitrator Pattern Killing (now Judge) Jon started not as an acolyte, but as a Liaison Agent during the hunt for the Gloom Haunt, a costumed vigilante stalking Hive Sibellus. A loner in the Arbites due to his obsession with a string of murders, the brass figured having him as liaison might cool his jets, Jon saw this as a way to gain more information on his murdering suspect. After getting locked away by the =I= for walking in the Tricorn alone (only took 3 hours worth of paperwork by the others to get him free), serving with example, not to mention managing to impress the Inquisitor by acting solo without his own acolyte figuring it out, Jon was made an acolyte and had a rather quick ascension within his own Adeptus, to reach the rank of Judge.

Lyra- Female Guardsman, that flame-centric alternate rank from Daemon Hunter (now Storm Trooper) Lyra is a Guardsman first and foremost, cool, collected, saw it all. Expert markswoman with las pistols (now hellpistols) she also has a plasmagun, with which she enjoy burning off whoever dares stand against the Emperor and any of His servants.

They just reached Port Wander. They're staying at a contact's fancy lodgings, they managed to discreetly get information on von Gould and on a few methods to travel to the Expanse, namely;

Lady Charlabelle Armelan (they learned that she's a solid and honourable type) with her merchant vessel the Grace of Sopha

Jeremiah Blitz (Using his Arbites conenction, Jon learned of the man's reputation as a scoundrel and cold trader) with his cruiser, the Ordained Destiny

Patrol Group XC-2 (composed of an Endeavour Cruiser and a pair of Sword frigate, commanded by Commodore Rivers, who herself got a good reputation as a cunning captain)

Now the meat and potatoes; they got at least 2 weeks on the station to do legwork, and while I do have those meet ups and such planned, I think I am...short on events or situation that would shoot life around them. Random encounters, slice of life on Port Wander, what can they encounter beyond the drunken voidsmen, crooked merchants and mercs looking for a meal ticket. I am looking for something beyond combat situations, that could happen to 'nobodies' while walking about the station (they are there undercover, not acting overtly and not leaving any traces of their inquiries)

Edited by Braddoc

Hm...well 'guess I'll handle it on my own then.

Have you read H ostile A cquisitions for inspiration? If not, you should.

Also, read I nto t he S torm's chapter on Port Wander and its people.

You might want to use the Arbitrators there, for example. Or have the PCs meet one of the Inquisitors present in Koronus - there are 2 radical Ordo Xenos posing/acting as Cold Traders in (but not limited to) Footfall that are mentioned in HA, and a "default" Inquisitor in Port Wander that is mentioned in ITS.

Edited by Sebastian Yorke

Getting press-ganged is always popular. The problem with going undercover as nobodies is that you're on an Imperial Void Station on the edge of Imperial space in an area frequented by Rogue Traders. Going around as Guy Incognito is a little hard to believe, since someone can just ask "So how did you get here then?"

If you claim to be dispossessed or former workers, then you could always get picked up, thrown in an Arbites holding cell, and then press-ganged by someone leaving the port. No one would believe that they're Rogue Traders, since they've heard that excuse a thousand times. Yes you have the slight problem of having completely derailed the plot by having your players be abducted to serve as menial boiler stokers for the next decade, but that's what they get for wanting to blend in as one of the "common folk".

Additionally, a sadistic Inquisitor (possibly posing as a Cold Trader) could force an agreement with a RT and send your group with the RT off into the expanse for investigating Xenos/Chaos out there (see my other Ordo Xenos related post here in this GM forum).

How would your DH players react to a Rak Gol boarding party? Or to the Priest-Kings of Vaporius? Or to Damaris' plans for seceding from the Imperium?

Edited by Sebastian Yorke

Sorry for being much to late for the party, Braddoc :)

How did it went and what did you throw at them?

[Never post while having two posts open..sorry, misspost]

Edited by Gregorius21778