Deployment Zones with Reinforced Disks and Stacking

By Xanatopia, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hi all.

Finally got to sit down with a friend and play through a game of Diskwars finally (life keeps getting in the way). During the course of our game a few questions came up that I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can clarify. With that, here we go:

1) During our initial deployment zone disk placement my opponent opted to stack all of his disks on top of each other in order to insure that they were placed at the farthest forward location in each respective deployment zone. Is this permitted? If so, why would anyone opt against doing this in any two player game?

2) When placing

2) During the process of reinforcing disks I'm unclear on the ongoing relationship with the specifics of the deployment zone's attributes.

a) For example, if you used the deployment zone Scout, you are granted deployment of disks and scout to the initially deployed units. Are you still restricted to 2 two disks in that deployment zone during the reinforcing process later in the game? In a like fashion, if you chose Ambush as a deployment zone, are you still granted the ability to reinforce disks at long distance? I would suspect that the benefit granted by the respective deployment zone is withdrawn? Additionally, does the numeric limit on the zone still count during the reinforcement process?

Hey, I will do my best to answer the questions as best I am able. I am sure if I am mistaken someone else will correct those mistakes.

1) You are able to deploy ontop of your disks if you choose to as far as I can tell. Both the introduction video and the rule book have this form of deployment shown. However, you are restricted in what you activate in that case. You have to activate the top disk before you can activate the bottom, because you can pin your own disks and prevent their activation.

2) You are restricted in reinforcing in a particular zone by that zone's deployment limit. So Scout has a value of 2, you can still only reinforce 2 in that particular zone. As for the second half, I think that the deployment rules for each zone remain in effect for the entire game. So a Screen/Scout zone would have a total deployment value of 4, which would include abilities that let you reinforce onto it.

Keep in mind that you cannot reinforce things with a movement value of 0, and unless you have a card that grants movement so it can move out of the way, if you deploy something with a movement value of 0 that overlaps anything else, those overlapped disks cannot do anything.

Westonard is spot on about #1
As for #2: I'm not sure the numeric restrictions apply for reinforcing later on in the game. However, when it comes to the zone's abilities, you have to differentiate between cards specifically mentioning deployment, and cards that do not. If the card specifically mentions deployment, like "Ambush" for example, then you are only granted that special ability in your deployment phase before the game actually starts, and NOT for reinforcement later on. Thus, Ambush really only affects up to 3 cards before the game, whereas other card effects, for example the one that grants cover, last throughout the entire game.
Hope that helped.

Also, it can be useful when your opponent stacks units to take a shot at that top unit with a siege weapon. If you land a critical hit and place an activation token, the whole stack is immobilized. This is amazingly helpful when you play shooty elves (and I often do), as it forces your opponent to either move out with only part of his army, or sit around and wait for the next turn to get the activation token off and get the pinned stack rolling. If he chooses the latter option and you have Winds of Morai Heg as a command card, you get to pour on the ranged fire to punish him while he hangs back. Even if he chooses to reinforce with all of his extra actions it can hurt him, as his units will crowd the deployment zone and step on each other even more, allowing you more chances to mess up his movement plans. You can then repeat the strategy the next round for even more board control.