First game went awesome Just 1 question...

By Poderis, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hey all,

Earlier tonight I got to play my first game of Descent, all in all it went really well but I have been trolling here looking at different things that come up and have read the manual about 10 times now. I understand the flow of the game and how everything plays together except 1 thing which I am confused about...Ill cite an example.

Its hero A's turn he moves his movement, adjacent to a mob with 5 armor and 5 hp, he attack and rolls for 8 dmg after modifiers so the mob would have 2 hp left, thus ending hero A's turn.

Now hero B moves adjacent to the same mob and attacks it does hero B need to roll through the armor to hit the mob or just roll 2 dmg to kill it?

That really only came up once as the three people playing tonight pretty much steam rolled the Into the Dark quest : / (I wont be so nice next time LOL)

It was a lot of fun though so it was good times all around.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Poderis said:

Its hero A's turn he moves his movement, adjacent to a mob with 5 armor and 5 hp, he attack and rolls for 8 dmg after modifiers so the mob would have 2 hp left, thus ending hero A's turn.

Now hero B moves adjacent to the same mob and attacks it does hero B need to roll through the armor to hit the mob or just roll 2 dmg to kill it?

That really only came up once as the three people playing tonight pretty much steam rolled the Into the Dark quest : / (I wont be so nice next time LOL)

Welcome to the world of Descent. Glad you enjoyed your first game.

You may know this already, but it doesnt end his turn. If he had movement left, he could then move away. Or, he could spend fatigue to get movement points and then move away (or drink a potion, or something else). But as far as the damage goes, that is correct. 8-5 is 3 damage, leaving the monster with 2 health left.

Yes, hero B would need to get through the armour too. It is applied to each attack.

Poderis said:

Yes, Hero B needs to get through the armor as well. Armor is applied to each attack. Please note that tehre is a special case for an Undying creature who gets killed and still has damage left over. It's all one attack, but if the Undying creature stands up he continues taking damage until all damage dealt has been applied, armor is NOT subtracted again after the monster stands up, because this is still only one attack. That's a special case. Two separate attacks (even by the same hero taking a Battle action) must subtract armor each time. Basically, every time you roll the dice the monster's armor must be subtracted.

Steve-O said:

Please note that tehre is a special case for an Undying creature who gets killed and still has damage left over. It's all one attack, but if the Undying creature stands up he continues taking damage until all damage dealt has been applied, armor is NOT subtracted again after the monster stands up, because this is still only one attack. That's a special case.

And just to avoid confusion for new players of RtL reading this, Undying works differently between vanilla and RtL Descent.

Paul Grogan said:

Poderis said:

Welcome to the world of Descent. Glad you enjoyed your first game.

You may know this already, but it doesnt end his turn. If he had movement left, he could then move away. Or, he could spend fatigue to get movement points and then move away (or drink a potion, or something else). But as far as the damage goes, that is correct. 8-5 is 3 damage, leaving the monster with 2 health left.

Yes, hero B would need to get through the armour too. It is applied to each attack.

He could also spend fatigue if he had it to add a few more black power dice (up to the max of 5) to kill the monster outright. When you're already through a big armor like that, sometimes it's best to spend the fatigue since there's no guarantee the next attack will a)hit or b)get through that armor. This would also allow another hero to attack something else or guard to help if there are spawns, etc.