Let's make a d100 'Gifts of the Gods' table

By Fgdsfg, in Black Crusade House Rules

As we all know, to roll on the Gifts of the Gods table is to roll a d100, but sadly, there are only 46 different results.

That of course means that we need 54 new Gifts of the Gods!

Has anyone done anything similar to this? Because otherwise, we clearly need to get started and roll up our sleeves, coming up with thematic and balanced mutations for a new millennium.

I was thinking that I would make a compilation of acceptable suggestions and create a printable, nice-looking document going through the basic rules for Gifts of the Gods, listing a table, and then with a description for each.

There are several things to consider when suggesting a Gift of the Gods:

• Is it balanced?
  • Are the rules clear or ambigious; can it be misinterpreted?
  • Is the flavour and fluffing appropriate?
  • Does it have effects due to alignment? Should it have? If it does, why? If it doesn't, why not?
  • If it does have an alignment effect, is there a trade-off? Is it balanced across the different alignments, including (to a degree) Unaligned?
  • Is it positive, and if so, is it appropriate; some mutations should be nearly wholly negative. Others should be almost entirely positive, but with some kind potential downside, if not mechanical, then narrative.

I was thinking I'd start tinkering with this in the next couple of days, first and foremost pulling inspiration from various mutations that have already appeared in other WH40kRP publications. That is, however, not nearly enough.

Which is why I'd appreciate any and all suggestions you might have, or mutations that you might have homebrewed yourself for some game. Go wild.

Some things as well can be purely aesthetic such as animalistic (or whatever it's called). It has no effect under rules.

There was a D1000 chart in Realms of Chaos Slaves to Darkness IIRC which had a metric shed-ton of mutations including a few to make the character grow/shrink, add extra limbs, moving existing limbs to other parts of the body (including an amusing potential of placing ones head in place of ones groin...I kid ye not). Limb distortions, varied disorders, augmentation to machinery...seriously look up the book.

It's an old book and uses D4's 6's etc but still the ideas in there are amasing.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Some things as well can be purely aesthetic such as animalistic (or whatever it's called). It has no effect under rules.

There was a D1000 chart in Realms of Chaos Slaves to Darkness IIRC which had a metric shed-ton of mutations including a few to make the character grow/shrink, add extra limbs, moving existing limbs to other parts of the body (including an amusing potential of placing ones head in place of ones groin...I kid ye not). Limb distortions, varied disorders, augmentation to machinery...seriously look up the book.

It's an old book and uses D4's 6's etc but still the ideas in there are amasing.

Oh, that will definitely be looked up. If nothing else, it can serve as good inspiration. :D

Oh, that will definitely be looked up. If nothing else, it can serve as good inspiration. :D

For a slightly more recent publishment, there's the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e Tome of Corruption. It also sports a d1000 mutation table that is mostly-ish workable as-is with Black Crusade since the FFG 40K system is based upon the WHFB2e system and developed from there.

I dish out Corruption rather slowly if my players do not actively impress me, therefore there have been complaints that they gain mutations far too slowly. I decided to crack open my beloved Tome of Corruption and dish out an extra mutation whenever a players Corruption counter goes above a ten. So, 10, 20, 30 etc. My players have been amused, if nothing else. One of them grew a metal scorpion tail out of his spine, one of them divided like a cell and now has two characters and one of them is very flatulent.

I added a mutation that gave the psyker trait with psy rating 2 if the player was not a psyker plus doombolt. If he was a psyker just plus one psy rating. However it added 3d10 corruption. The alignment special would be Khorne would just get Blood God's Contempt and none of the psyker stuff. For the other god aliments they would receive the cheapest power dedicated to that god instead of doombolt. However no one has ever roll this mutation in my group, so I don't know if its balanced or not.