YV-929 Design Pics

By OriginalDomingo, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Here are my designs for the YV-929. It was pretty hard to figure out a sensible layout for a ship 22m long. Some design questions answered up front:

1. Why are there only two engines and not three like in Dangerous Covenants?

Based on the original artwork in Star Wars Gamer #2, it appears to have propulsion energy only coming from two. The center part is more box like in shape and reminds me of a freight cargo loading area.

2. Why is the cargo on the top?

The YV-929 is based on the narrow fuselage of a YV-100 with cargo modules bolted on and a 'domed' parlor to appeal to the civilian crowd, so naturally cargo on top.

3. What's the difference between the armed freighter and the light freighter?

The armed freighter had twin turbolasers, which are removed from my images for the light freighter.The picture in Dangerous Covenants is actually a YV-929 Armed Freighter.

4. Is the dish on the wrong side?

The orginal artowrk had in on the port side, but I have seen it mirror imaged in other examples. It seems that it is always drawn on the near side depending on perspective.

Without further adieu:

YV-929 Light Freighter (Black and White):

YV-929LightFreighter-BW.png

YV-929 Light Freighter (External):

YV-929LightFreighter-Ext.png

YV-929 Light Freighter (Upper Deck):

YV-929LightFreighter-Int.png

YV-929 Light Freighter (Schematic):

YV-929LightFreighter-Schematic.jpg

YV-929 Armed Freighter (Black and White):

YV-929ArmedFreighter-BW.png

YV-929 Armed Freighter (External):

YV-929ArmedFreighter-Ext.png

YV-929 Armed Freighter (Upper Deck):

YV-929ArmedFreighter-Int.png

YV-929 Armed Freighter (Schematic):

YV-929ArmedFreighter-Schematic.jpg

YV-929 Lower Deck (Common to All)

YV-929LowerDeck.png

Really nice work! I'm busy designing a new (non canon) light freighter for my players at the moment (including) deck plans! It's sort of a cross between a freighter & a B wing... Will post the pictures when I'm done, but be warned I'm no artist so they'll not be up to this high standard

I'm very impressed. Thank you for this.

Impressive. Most impressive

But you are not a... nevermind.

I have a few suggestions however.

I notice each crew quarter has a refresher and that they are double bunks. I would consider removing the refesher from the rooms, put a communal one in the communal area and give each crew their own bunk. Otherwise your hired muscle may turn on you for promise of their own bunk.

I notice each crew quarter has a refresher and that they are double bunks. I would consider removing the refesher from the rooms, put a communal one in the communal area and give each crew their own bunk. Otherwise your hired muscle may turn on you for promise of their own bunk.

Are there supposed to be any escape pods on this ship?

Most small starships (silhouette 4) are going to have double or triple bunks. Its a space-saving measure.

Trading personal comfort in the cabins for the huge parlor was a conscious choice based on the Star Wars Gamer #2.

"To entice indendent ship buyers, the designers added a roomy parlor to the domed section below the bridge, although this is often turned into passenger space by YV-929 owners."

I will work up a modified lower deck after work today that puts a wall running along the starboard side of the dome for a 5th cabin to spread out the bunks and put in a communal refresher.

The refreshers are less less than 3' x 5' for the toilet and shower. My thinking was that 10 people sharing a single toilet for six months was going to bother a person before the limited headroom on his bunk.

Edited by Domingo

Are there supposed to be any escape pods on this ship?

Single person escape pods are accessed through the floor hatchs of the engine room like the YT-1300. Though I have trouble seeing where they would fit, I figure it would be common among CEC designs.

Thanks for the critique guys. Based on the feedback, I am keeping the original design as the 'stock' YV-929, which has military style-cramped quarters with the added roomy parlor to attract the civilian buyer. It doesn't make sense on purpose. Believe me. I am adding a second lower deck and set of schematics to represent the common modification of converting parlor space into passenger space. Shooters choice.

YV-929 Lower Deck (Passenger Mod):

YV-929LowerDeckv2.png

YV-929 Light Freighter with Passenger Mod:

YV-929LightFreighterv2-Schematic.jpg

YV-929 Armed Freighter with Passenger Mod:

YV-929ArmedFreighterv2-Schematic.jpg

Edited by Domingo

Uploaded wrong pics. Fixed now.