Expansion Ideas

By zinji2010, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Hey. Was curious about the length of time between expansions. Love this game and have a solid group that plays at least once a month. I know Fantasy Flight puts a ton of great work into each expansion for this game. However, have they ever thought to release smaller ones to give us more to choose from. Like for instance just a collection of new system tiles, a deck of (Secret, Primary, or Secondary) Objectives, or even a set of a few more Races. They don't have to just put out huge boxes. That's one thing I like about Arkham Horror. They have some smaller expansions that add more to the game.

Another idea might be custom ships for each race sold in packs. I'm sure they would sell. This game seems to have a strong following. Just an idea.

I think custom ships would be prohibitvly expensive, but I support new tiles, and new species

As I understand it it would take time to even make a smaller expansion for TI3. Arkham Horror can get a lot of expansions since it builds off of H.P. Lovecrafts works, which are quite expansive. The Twilight Imperium lore is sprung from within FFG and thus they have to come up with new stuff themselves. And then playtest it extensively to make sure it's all balanced out. Especially since TI is the FFG Flagship.

That being said, I for one would also love to see more TI3 content. Even fiction in the TI universe would be purchased by me.

Edited by Fnoffen

TI is Christian T Petersen's baby, as well as the company's flagship game. I get the impression that Mr. Petersen doesn't like to add material willy-nilly, but prefers to wait until he has enough good ideas to properly fill a box. Hence the five years or so between Shattered Empire and Shards.

He's also CEO of the company, and the company is getting pretty big these days, so he probably doesn't have that much time to devote to game design.

It's just as well, IMHO. Not that I'm opposed to more content in Twilight Imperium, but there's enough there to keep me occupied as it is. It's also kind of nice to have at least one game that isn't a mindless deluge of expansions. =P

I wouldn't object to new expansions for TI3, but I am content with where we are.

What I would very much like to see is more games in the TI universe. Yeah, there is Rex, but FFG have a good role-playing division now so a proper RPG in the setting would be awesome. A capital ship space combat game using a modified version of the flight path system from X-Wing might be nice. Maybe a Descent like dungeon crawl, exploring an old lazax research complex and fighting the nekro virus.

It is a really rich, well done, engaging setting and, well, I want more of it.

...but I support new tiles, and new species

"+1"

One or two more classes of ships would be fun even though I can't really think of any new useful ones.

[edit] Although... How about Boarding Crafts (BC)? Can and must be in a carrier to ferry over one GF to attempt to take over an enemy non-fighter ship. (Kind of similar to the optional "Star Wars manouver" where fighters can attempt to blow up a War Sun.)

The Boarding Craft would have to make a successful attack roll to avoid being shot down on the way over to the target vessel (which would also destroy the assigned GF). If the BC makes it the GF must succeed in a combat roll (all techs and/or abilities may be applied) to take over the ship. If the GF lose then the BC is also destroyed.

Either way the GF is used up and discarded since they either die or become the new crew of the target ship.

In the case of a successful Boarding, the defending player removes the targeted ship and you replace it with one of the same type from your supply without paying the construction cost.

There could even be a new tech to counter this move. Red, of course. Say... "Security Stations. You may force a reroll of any GF boarding attempts against your ships. The attacker must use the second result." Or possibly "Any hostile Boarding attempts against your ships must make 2 consecutive successful GF attack rolls instead of 1 to succeed."

As far as I'm concerned, FFG (or anyone else) may freely use this idea at their leisure. [/edit]

Edited by Fnoffen

Although... How about Boarding Crafts (BC)? Can and must be in a carrier to ferry over one GF to attempt to take over an enemy non-fighter ship. (Kind of similar to the optional "Star Wars manouver" where fighters can attempt to blow up a War Sun.)

I like the concept, but I feel like it would work better as a tech upgrade to CVs rather than a new type of ship. As a new plastic bit that just sits on top of a CV until it's used and removed (pass or fail, it gets removed from play) it seems fiddly and pointless. As a tech upgrade it works fine, though. You buy the card and then your CVs can do this. Makes them a more direct threat, which is interesting.

I also feel like the number of GFs required to take over a ship should be dependent on the ship you're trying to take over. It's not really fair if you can get a free DN (AND deprive your opponent of one at the same time) for the cost of 1 GF and 1 BC. Unless, of course, the BC itself was proportionally expensive, but then it wouldn't be worthwhile to go after Destroyers and other cheap ships anymore.

As a tech, it would also conveniently leave all 6 slots on the CV open for GFs, allowing the necessary room needed to carry a full boarding party for bigger takeovers.

Well my thought was that if the Boarding is successful you keep the BC. But I see your point.

An Expansion? Well... only after we get the ultimate epic experience that would be the fusion of Ti3 and X-Wing, adopting the latter's dog fighting system to handle the space battles in Ti3.

Impossible game? Of course! But who wouldn't dream of spending weeks on just one game... :D

Impossible game? Of course! But who wouldn't dream of spending weeks on just one game... :D

Having played Federation & Empire (once), I do not cherish such an idea at all. =P

Having played Federation & Empire (once), I do not cherish such an idea at all. =P

I played that once as well, in college, oh my gosh, took over my life....now that game is just too long (like months long!).

I always wanted to play Federation and Empire. Never had anyone to play it with though.