Starting out

By Caliginous, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Hi guys, yet another "newbie" GM thread.

I haven't run any 40K games yet, DW will be my first, but I've been GMing and playing for over 25 years.

I've read the corebook, and one thing that I've noticed about DW: the mechanics themselves are really simple and straightforward, there's just a lot of "extras" for players and GMs to remember: skills, traits, demenours, bonuses, types of attack, modes etc. This is a little daunting at first, but I think we will get used to it. I told my group our first session would probably involve a lot of book flipping, which is to be expected. I also told them to be across their characters - they need to be telling me what they can do, not vice-versa. All my players are experienced RPers too, so I don't envisage any issues there.

My first question is fairly straightforward: do you guys alter characteristics based on all the bonuses that come in at character creation, or is it best to note that these are bonuses to a base score? Something like altering, say WS because the player has chosen an assault marine is fairly straightforward, but what about anything that comes in because of armour or other? SM armour gives a character +20 to Str yes? Is this something you'd write on the characteristic as a +20, or would you alter the characteristic by 20 and have the player at -20 when they are out of their armour?

I know this might not seem like a big deal, but when I was making some characters for practice, I kept asking myslef this question :)

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions once we get underway.

Cal

I always note any special bonus (like the strength from Power Armour) directly underneath the field for strength.

e.g. +20 (power armour)

It makes it easier to determine the base strength should my character, be out of the armour or have to roll against base strength for some reason.

I agree, it's better to make it as a modifier and say on the sheet that power armour gives +20 rather than it being -20 when out of it. Reason being more to do with tracking characteristics upgrades. See I unless they rolled single figures, most will start getting into the strength of 60s after buying a few characteristics upgrades so you can keep track of how much they have spent on that. If though they have started at S60 since youre including the armour silentlyand say "I want to buy some S upgrades", I might be a bit thrown by it since it would be putting their strength near to or above the maximum values capable for a marine. But that's just how my mind works (or perhaps doesnt!)

~Another Cal

Hi guys, yet another "newbie" GM thread.

I haven't run any 40K games yet, DW will be my first, but I've been GMing and playing for over 25 years.

I've read the corebook, and one thing that I've noticed about DW: the mechanics themselves are really simple and straightforward, there's just a lot of "extras" for players and GMs to remember: skills, traits, demenours, bonuses, types of attack, modes etc. This is a little daunting at first, but I think we will get used to it. I told my group our first session would probably involve a lot of book flipping, which is to be expected. I also told them to be across their characters - they need to be telling me what they can do, not vice-versa. All my players are experienced RPers too, so I don't envisage any issues there.

If it gets too much, consider leaving out: Codex Solo Mode abilities and all of Cohesion/Squad Mode.

Focus on your job as Storyteller instead. I find that to weave an interesting story, one has to explore a lot of detail because playing a killing machine isn't fascinating by itself for many players. So, as a GM, one has bring all that surrounds that, all the rites and the more complex reactions of NPCs to life. One has to let the players... explore situations that the noble Astartes find themselves in and bring that to life too.

If you do include Squad Mode, use this as resource: http://40kroleplay.weebly.com/3/post/2014/05/rule-clarifications-squad-mode.html

And, for the sake of your sanity, use by all means Errata 1.1. Seriously.

Alex

Thanks guys for the responses, much appreciated. Very logical when you put it like that. Just out of curiosity, do you guys do much when the characters are out of their armour?

Alex, that's a very good idea. I may just do that for a few sessions. I have the errata too - is it all worth adhering to?

Thanks again

Cal

Out of armour is sometimes fun downtime. Some characters I've seen take the time out of armour to vent their frustration at the mission in some way, sometimes sparring in unarmed combat with each other to keep themselves refined (with this I also allow them to roleplay the combat and not god-mod themselves kicking the opponent to the floor, relying them to be balanced and realistic, some rolls from time to time).

Occasionally they might remove their armour to perform ritual prayers, chants or studying, this can act as a nice break for players who are in heavy combat a lot. Some IC RnR time.

Edited by Calgor Grim

The strength bonus for armor comes AFTER the doubling for unnatural strength, so I put it in the little box. Example: Toby has S 40. I put 40 in the box. Unnatural strength would make the bonus +8 instead of +4, but I put +10 to account for the armor. That comes into effect a lot more often than the actual strength characteristic.

That's how they did it in Final Sanction/Oblivion's Edge too.

OP is advised to check out those free missions in the Support section here.

Alex

If you remove Squad Mode, you will need to rebalance challenges. If it's in, you can amp up pressure more. Squad Mode is a mechanism by which the players can break the action economy relatively easily (Bolter Assault, Furious Charge) or gain a number of other beneficial effects that improve survivability.

Focus on your job as Storyteller instead. I find that to weave an interesting story, one has to explore a lot of detail because playing a killing machine isn't fascinating by itself for many players. So, as a GM, one has bring all that surrounds that, all the rites and the more complex reactions of NPCs to life. One has to let the players... explore situations that the noble Astartes find themselves in and bring that to life too.

This is definitely true. The game is terribly boring if all you do is sit down and run a combat simulator for hours, especially for the GM. Unfortunately that's where a lot of the rules focus is placed, and likely that player expectations hover around there too.

Edited by Kshatriya

Starting players don't make optimal use of resources anyway, so losing Squad Mode isn't that much of a deal.

Alex

Thanks again guys. Alex - would you recommend starting with those adventures? I hadn't really thought that far yet, I was going to do the one from the corebook and then maybe the one from the GMs screen, but if Final Sanction/Oblivion's Edge is a good place to start happy to do that.

Cheers again everyone,

Cal

Starting players don't make optimal use of resources anyway, so losing Squad Mode isn't that much of a deal.

Alex

Personally I think some degree of enemy stat blocks is pre-built assuming PCs will use every option available to them - which is head and shoulders above what is available to, say, a DH player group.

Thanks again guys. Alex - would you recommend starting with those adventures? I hadn't really thought that far yet, I was going to do the one from the corebook and then maybe the one from the GMs screen, but if Final Sanction/Oblivion's Edge is a good place to start happy to do that.

Cheers again everyone,

Cal

FS isn't a bad place to start. OE is pretty intense. And with both you will need to tweak stat blocks of enemies. 2d10+X Razor Sharp gene stealers are not balanced.