Two Questions - Same Old Thing & Unregistered S&W ’35

By otomo, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

First on Same Old Thing -- when it says pay all costs, does that mean just the credits or the click associated with playing an event also? So would it cost a total of 4 clicks or 3 to execute a regular event is my question?

Second, Unregistered -- it targets everything within a server. So does ice count as within a server? That could be a pretty dangerous card if it counts like that.

Same old thing doesn't actually say pay all costs it says paying it's play cost. The additional click of a double event is an additional cost not a play cost therefore no, you do not have to pay the extra click.

Ice is not in a server, ice protects a server so you can not trash bioroid ice with the gun. If you somehow manage to get a rezed piece of ice on awakening center (FAO and for whatever reason the corp decides to rez it) then yes, you can use the gun to trash it.

Pretty **** sure you DO pay the extra click to Same old Thing a double actually. It doesn't tell you to ignore any additional costs. Sure, you could decline to pay the additional cost, but then you won't get the effect.

I think that unless the card specifically states you can ignore a particular cost, you are stuck with paying it if you want that effect to happen. That does make playing doubles with Same Old Thing quite painful, but then doubles are powerful effects.

An example of a card that plays an event (for its play cost), but ignoring additional costs would be Planned Assault.

Edit: to answer the original question on Same Old Thing, you spend just the 2 clicks (+1 for the install) to play a regular event (spending a click to play an event enables the action and is not part of its play cost).

Edited by Khouri

Well even if not for the extra cost, say I'm same old thinging sure gamble. Is it one click install same old thing. 2 clicks to play same old thing, then one click to sure gamble so all 4 clicks for it?

as per the last post it looks like that's not the case and sure gamble just costs the 5 credits, no clicks?

Edited by otomo

Well even if not for the extra cost, say I'm same old thinging sure gamble. Is it one click install same old thing. 2 clicks to play same old thing, then one click to sure gamble so all 4 clicks for it?

as per the last post it looks like that's not the case and sure gamble just costs the 5 credits, no clicks?

Correct; total cost would be three clicks (one to install, two to trigger Same Old Thing) and 5 credits to Sure Gamble.

Rules aside, in this case, unless you have a pre-paid voice pad, you're only making one more credit than simply clicking for three credits (and you used a powerful card effect) so the benefit is up for debate.

EDIT: Obviously if SoT is already installed from a previous turn, then cost to play single events is only 2-clicks and the credit cost.

Edited by CommissarFeesh

Right, I probably wouldn't actually use it on sure gamble, was just trying to clarify the rules. Thank you for your help!

yeah, Same Old Sure Gamble is horrible.

I play a lot of Magnum Opus and I'm starting to have real qualms about even including Sure Gambles or Lucky Find because to draw them and play them is both a net $2 per click. They're worth it if you draw into them with Diesel or Quality Time because the click to draw is getting you multiple options, but "you couldda had a V8" keeps playing in my head.

yeah, Same Old Sure Gamble is horrible.

I play a lot of Magnum Opus and I'm starting to have real qualms about even including Sure Gambles or Lucky Find because to draw them and play them is both a net $2 per click. They're worth it if you draw into them with Diesel or Quality Time because the click to draw is getting you multiple options, but "you couldda had a V8" keeps playing in my head.

The only Shaper Deck I've ever had that had Sure Gamble (besides the Starter) was my first Professional Contacts deck. I do not regret this in the slightest.