Wand of Dragonfire ( treasure card)

By Velhart, in Talisman Rules Questions

I have a question about it.

The text says:

You may use the Wand when you are about to engage in battle with a character or creature. Roll 1 die and add your craft. If the score is higher than the character's strength, he must lose 1 life.If the score is higher than the creature's strength, it is killed Enemies cannot be taken as trophies.

The question is :

Does it matter if a other player encounters you or vice versa. can you still use the wand for both situations.

Do you use the Wand before the real combat begins and after that, then you battle each other?

Velhart said:

I have a question about it.

The text says:

You may use the Wand when you are about to engage in battle with a character or creature. Roll 1 die and add your craft. If the score is higher than the character's strength, he must lose 1 life.If the score is higher than the creature's strength, it is killed Enemies cannot be taken as trophies.

The question is :

Does it matter if a other player encounters you or vice versa. can you still use the wand for both situations.

Do you use the Wand before the real combat begins and after that, then you battle each other?

The text suggests that Wand = Permanent Fireball Spell, with the only limitation that the killed Enemies cannot be kept as trophies.

A handy piece of artifact!

Meh, I would like to kill Enemies "manually" for the trophy. It's good only for the weak magic characters at the beginning of the game. But when they will access the Dungeon, they will stop being weak. Or will die. And for characters, I would like to get an Object from them not 1 Life (which can be prevented by Armour). Useless treasure IMO.

So both question have.... yes

You may use it at both situations( no matter who attacks who.

And if i read the text, you can try to steal a life from your opponent with the wand of dragonfire before real combat begins. If you win that battle also, you could take another life away from him.

Same as Firespell? have not use that card yet)

Yep, no matter who's attacking. "about to engage in battle" means regardless, who's attacking.

As for the second thing. Hmmm..... When You force character to loss a lfe battle should end. In fact, that doesn't appear at the Dragonfire card, so You can fight once again, make another battle. Hmmm it's little better than I thoought.

Nemomon said:

Yep, no matter who's attacking. "about to engage in battle" means regardless, who's attacking.

As for the second thing. Hmmm..... When You force character to loss a lfe battle should end. In fact, that doesn't appear at the Dragonfire card, so You can fight once again, make another battle. Hmmm it's little better than I thoought.

It's the same as fireball. the only difference is that you can keep the wand of dragonfire each turn.

It's not for the Enemies, except the rare ones you might not be able to defeat at the later stage of the game. It's for the final battle between Characters! If your Craft is high you're about to deal damage before combat takes place, in your Turn and in other players' Turn! This damage does not happen in Battle, it's dealt before battle; you can't use Armour, just spells like Preservation and the new Restoration.

The_Warlock said:

It's not for the Enemies, except the rare ones you might not be able to defeat at the later stage of the game. It's for the final battle between Characters! If your Craft is high you're about to deal damage before combat takes place, in your Turn and in other players' Turn! This damage does not happen in Battle, it's dealt before battle; you can't use Armour, just spells like Preservation and the new Restoration.

So the text on the dragonfire card activates before battle(when you roll dices) and after spells have cast.

It seems that armour can't safe you.

it's a craft based attack of some sort

( someone with high craft and having that weapon will win at the crown i think

One more question:

Q: Can the Wand of Dragonfire be used multiple times before engaging into battle, if a Character is about to encounter more than one creature?

Finger of Death and Fireball are wasted after use, but the Wand is still working and doesn't say it can be used only once per turn. It says it can be used against a character or creature.

The_Warlock said:

Q: Can the Wand of Dragonfire be used multiple times before engaging into battle, if a Character is about to encounter more than one creature?

Finger of Death and Fireball are wasted after use, but the Wand is still working and doesn't say it can be used only once per turn. It says it can be used against a character or creature.

No. The Wand is targeted at a single Enemy. Once used, the Wand cannot be used again during that encounter. You must fight any remaining Enemies.

Ell.

If Gladiator attacks Wizard who as the dragonflame wand, the Wizard opts to use it before battle begins. The wand works so Gladiator loses a life. Can the Gladiator still attact the Wizard that turn, or does his turn end because he lost a life?

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

If Gladiator attacks Wizard who as the dragonflame wand, the Wizard opts to use it before battle begins. The wand works so Gladiator loses a life. Can the Gladiator still attact the Wizard that turn, or does his turn end because he lost a life?

Where are people getting this idea that "lose a life" = turn ends? IF it happens in a combat (with creature or char), then yes. If it happens at other times (Leper, etc.), turn doesn't end. Fireball (and I guess the DF Wand) both function before a battle, so no turn ending there either.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but my friend was convinced otherwise.

talismanamsilat said:

The_Warlock said:

No. The Wand is targeted at a single Enemy. Once used, the Wand cannot be used again during that encounter. You must fight any remaining Enemies.

Ell.

Good to know. I thought you could use it on combining strength enemies...

But it's the same as fireball, finger of death etc ( in another topic)

Dam said:

Where are people getting this idea that "lose a life" = turn ends?

It just seems logical that losing a life would end a turn. Doesn't it? Regardless of wether it is an enemy or Leper or pestilance that takes it. I mean if losing a turn will stop you from getting following cards if more than one is drawn. Losing a life is more determental than a turn loss. I know this post is off topic here, but the rules do not say anything about ending a turn or not ending a turn when a loss of life is due to a non-enemy.

hprwhg said:

Dam said:

It just seems logical that losing a life would end a turn. Doesn't it? Regardless of wether it is an enemy or Leper or pestilance that takes it. I mean if losing a turn will stop you from getting following cards if more than one is drawn. Losing a life is more determental than a turn loss. I know this post is off topic here, but the rules do not say anything about ending a turn or not ending a turn when a loss of life is due to a non-enemy.

Point is, if you follow the flowchart, turn ends on either an encounter that words it "end your turn" (or equivalent wording), or from a failed combat (lost a life or stand-off).

I was taking a look at the Dragon expansion cards, and i saw that the Rod of Dragon Fire is almost similar to the Wand of Dragonfire.

Also the artwork comes close to the 4th edition picture lengua.gif

Dam said:

hprwhg said:

Dam said:

Point is, if you follow the flowchart, turn ends on either an encounter that words it "end your turn" (or equivalent wording), or from a failed combat (lost a life or stand-off).

So you can basically keep attacking a person until they are either dead or you lose or tie them?

Baenre said:

Dam said:

So you can basically keep attacking a person until they are either dead or you lose or tie them?

For Battles, of course you follow the guide-lines from p. 10 onwards, as mentioned in the flowchart. Those have their own clauses for turn end and barring character/other special ability, only lasts 1 battle round of 5 steps. Figured people could connect the dots without holding their hands through the entire process.

I've always played it as you can keep going myself it's just that the flow chart seemed counter intuitive. It should probably have a step between that asks if you won the combat but didn't kill the opposing player then you may go back to the top of "Encounter character". When i first looked at that flow chart it just seemed like they were limiting it to one combat regardless. I kept looking into the rulebook on, PG 10, to try and find a stipulation saying to repeat the process but couldn't find it.

It was just one of those things i guess i was reading to much into and not really grasping a more basic concept that i am assuming they figured everyone would understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me though.