LibrariaNPCs Freighter Creation Thread

By LibrariaNPC, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The good news: made some progress in real world things, and if all goes well, I can get my books out of storage in another week or two!

In other news: I've been trying to find ways to understand the convert the ships from X and Traveller. So far I'm hitting snags regarding size (everything's in tonnage or not at all), but I'm jotting down notes about what I think they should have.

I'm also going to have a 5BBY-2BBY game going on soon, so I'll be working on things again as my players ask for them, so stay tuned!

I'm not exactly back. Work slowed down a bit today (I think they're going easy on me for my birthday and all the apartment hunting), so I decided to stat up the Krayt for you all!

Thank you for all your hard work with these threads. This has always been a favorite ship of mine.

I'm not exactly back. Work slowed down a bit today (I think they're going easy on me for my birthday and all the apartment hunting), so I decided to stat up the Krayt for you all!

Thank you for all your hard work with these threads. This has always been a favorite ship of mine.

You're welcome! If you use it, let me know how it works out in your game!

Good news for everyone waiting: I found a new place, and will be moving in this weekend! This means I'll have more time to work on ships!

My new players have also been asking for some specific ships: HWK-290, the YU series, VCX-100 (the Ghost, even though a few others have tried their hands at it and we haven't seen it in action), and a few other random old favorites. If you have any requests, keep them coming, otherwise I'll post whatever I have and whatever I am able to whenever I can!

At the request of one of my players, here's a new ship:

YU-410

250px-YU-410.jpg

Era: Rebellion

Hull type: Transport

Ship Class: YU-410 Light Freighter

Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering Corporation

Hyperdrive: Class 2 (Backup Class 12)

Navcomp: Equipped

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Co-Pilot; Gunners (4)

Encumbrance Capacity: 415

Passenger Capacity: 12

Consumables: 2 months

Cost/Rarity: 200,000 credits (30,000 used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 4

Silhouette: 4

Speed: 2

Handling: -1

Defense: 1/1

Armor: 3

Hull Threshold: 25

System Threshold: 17

Weapons:

Dorsal, Ventral, Port, and Aft Laser Cannon Turrets ( Fire Arc Turret; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Well, outside of the requests for non-canon things, I'm at the point where I'd be statting whatever random ship I can find in the old d6 books, which I sadly don't have the time to go cover-to-cover through.

Once I have the time to finish reading Age of Rebellion, I'll start up some of the Legacy-era vehicles for Fighters and Freighters, but until then I'm going to leave this thread as-is (with the exception of trying to reverse engineer Traveller and X stats, which I'm trying my best to understand) and work on the next chapter: Capital Ships and a "Getting The Most Out Of Your Ship" treatise (finishing my notes on ways to modify a ship without using a Hard Point).

I'll still take requests and will consider making changes, so feel free to keep them coming!

I got another ship for ya'.

Looking at this ship for a game I'm running

300px-Rep_Medical_Frigate.jpg

Pelta- class Frigate

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pelta-class_frigate?file=Rep_Medical_Frigate.jpg

thanks in advance

This is at the top of my list for Capital Ships. I have some notes; I'll send them to you as soon as I can finish typing them up (gotta compare it to something in AoR).

I got another ship for ya'.

Added! I'll get onto that when I can!

I also forgot to finish statting the Guardian-class Light Cruiser (something I need for my campaign) and the HWK-290/ Moldy Crow . Work is keeping me busy tonight and tomorrow, but I'll see which of the above I can finish writing up for you all soon!

Vaya-class Scout

180px-Vaya-tur.jpg

Era: Old Republic

Hull type: Scout

Ship Class: Vaya- class Scout

Manufacturer: Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc

Hyperdrive: Class 4 (Class 15 Backup)

Sensor Range: Medium

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Gunners (2)

Encumbrance Capacity: 100 (60 tons)

Passenger Capacity: 4

Consumables: 1 month

Cost/Rarity: 45,000 credits (15,000 used)/5

Customization Hard Points: 3

Speed: 3

Handling: -1

Hull Threshold: 20

System Threshold: 14

Weapons:

Ventral mounted medium laser cannon turret (Fire Arc Ventral Turret; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Forward mounted concussion missile launcher (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [short]; Breach 4, Blast 4, Guided 3, Limited Ammo 12, Slow-Firing 1)

Statter’s Note : We don’t have much data on this, so I’ve done what I could.

I was debating on making this a Speed 2, Handling 0, but having a wonky set of engines on the left side seemed to say that it has a bit more speed than not. I lowered the System Strain to denote the odd engine problem.

I would also add the possibility of the left side engines getting shut down when making a maneuver roll and if a Despair comes up (or if enough Threat is rolled to take out the system). That’s just my list of ideas, though.

I also finished my writeups for the HWK-290 and the Guardian-class, but don't have the time to finish typing them up. I'll try to finish the typing tomorrow afternoon and get them posted ASAP.

SynysterDreamer, sorry for the delay on the Pelta. I'm actually reviewing my approach to encumbrance for larger than Sil 4 vehicles besides eyeballing it as I have, and want to make sure I'm getting the good encumbrance ratio. For example, the Starwind Pleasure Yacht makes it seem as though at Silhouette 5, it's 4.25 ENC per ton, but the Wayfarer has it closer to 3.6 ENC per ton. Granted, the really big cargo haulers are WAY out there with these numbers (sometimes having an ENC lower than the tons), so it's all guesswork for me. . .but there may be some hope with capital ships.

If all goes well, expect a message from me over the next day or two with that statted up. I want at least a dozen complete before I start up a new thread, so be patient with me ^^;

A Class 4 hyperdrive and only one month of consumables on a scout ship? I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

A Class 4 hyperdrive and only one month of consumables on a scout ship? I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

Neither would I, but that's what Wookieepedia has listed. They also had a Class 8 listed, which I ignored and went right for the 4 instead.

Also remember that this is the Old Republic in the time around Exar Kun, so slower hyperdrives were a bit more common. I won't stop people from bringing it up to a 3 or a 2, but I'm going by what's written on it when I stat.

I also finished my writeups for the HWK-290 and the Guardian-class, but don't have the time to finish typing them up. I'll try to finish the typing tomorrow afternoon and get them posted ASAP.

SynysterDreamer, sorry for the delay on the Pelta. I'm actually reviewing my approach to encumbrance for larger than Sil 4 vehicles besides eyeballing it as I have, and want to make sure I'm getting the good encumbrance ratio. For example, the Starwind Pleasure Yacht makes it seem as though at Silhouette 5, it's 4.25 ENC per ton, but the Wayfarer has it closer to 3.6 ENC per ton. Granted, the really big cargo haulers are WAY out there with these numbers (sometimes having an ENC lower than the tons), so it's all guesswork for me. . .but there may be some hope with capital ships.

If all goes well, expect a message from me over the next day or two with that statted up. I want at least a dozen complete before I start up a new thread, so be patient with me ^^;

Np, when you get to it you get to it, It's for a future game that's not for like a month. Thanks for the hard work and look forward to it. ^.^

HWK-290

The Moldy Crow

250px-EaWMoldyCrowInSpace.jpg

Era: Rise of the Empire

Hull type: Light Freighter

Ship Class: HWK-290

Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering Corporation

Hyperdrive: Class 2

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: Pilot; Co-pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 125 (75 tons)

Passenger Capacity: 6

Consumables: 6 months

Cost/Rarity: 135,000 credits (55,000 used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 4

Speed: 4

Handling: 0

Hull Threshold: 20

System Threshold: 13

Weapons:

None

Statter’s Note : The HWK-290 is always under debate. In fact, depending on the source, the amount of cargo and passengers vary. I went with the higher passenger number (as some sources claim that the HWK-290 only has room for two, some say 4, others say 6) and the lower cargo number (75 vs 150 tons).

Granted, I could be HORRIBLY off, but Wookiepedia claims that it’s geared for upscale clients and is small and fast. I thought having a higher speed than a YT-1300/2400 with a small cargo hold and decent passenger space was fitting for it.

I was also debating on the Handling. 0 puts it on par with the YT-2400, but I don’t think there’s a freighter, shuttle, or any vehicle at Silhouette 4+ with a +1 handling just yet. I can agree that it could be at +1 (as Wookieepedia states “the ships were produced without armament; they used speed and maneuverability to escape most situations.”) I’ll need to test it before I can really implement it, though.

Hull and System were just reductions of the YT-1300; it seemed fitting that since it is smaller, it’d have less.

I was also considering reducing it to Armor 2 (especially with the +1), but it’s not THAT impractical of a ship…

Guardian -class Light Cruiser

250px-GuardianLC.jpg

Era: Rise of the Empire

Hull type: Light Cruiser

Ship Class: Guardian -class Light Cruiser

Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems

Hyperdrive: Class 1 (Backup Class 10)

Sensor Range: Medium

Ship's Complement: Pilot, Co-pilot; Captain, Engineers (1-3), Gunners (2-3), Guard, Starfighter Pilots (10)

Starfighter Complement: 10 TIE/LN starfighters; external rack

Encumbrance Capacity: 330

Passenger Capacity: 6 (prisoners; in brig)*

Consumables: 3 months

Cost/Rarity: 800,000 credits (450,000 used)/6 ®

Customization Hard Points: 2

Silhouette: 5

Speed: 3

Handling: -2

Defense: 1/1/1/1

Armor: 4

Hull Threshold: 40

System Threshold: 26

Weapons:

Two ventral mounted medium laser cannon turrets (Fire Arc Ventral Turret; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Two forward mounted medium laser cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1)

*With a smaller crew (without pilots, for example), passengers can be increased accordingly.

Statter’s Note : First off, the crew on this vessel is always different, much like the notorious HWK-290. I took the 20 listed on Wookieepedia and compared it to the 2, 4, or 6 in the d20 version and the 16 from the d6 version. I then came to the calculations above, making this a bit more “player friendly” and making more sense for smaller groups (and smugglers) to want them.

That said, this writeup has “required” crew as simply the pilot and co-pilot. It’ll make things dicey when combat breaks out or if something breaks, but it’s at least pilotable that way.

The ship is listed as being fast, but it seems a bit too bulky to be very agile, so I left it at -2. I can see an argument for -1, but due to its size (42 meters), I felt that the -2 makes up for it.

Additionally, there was a debate on how much abuse it can take. One writeup states that it’s relatively durable, while another states it can’t take a beating. I decided to make it tougher than the Citadel, as it’s supposed to be a small picket ship. Any input on that?

Edit: 7/23/2014 After consideration and discussion (below), I've changed this to a Silhouette 5 vessel. HappyDaze mentioned this is comparable to the Gozanti, but I see it as a much smaller and fragile version. The Silhouette 4 version is below.

Silhouette:4

Hull: 35

System Strain: 18

Edited by LibrariaNPC

Alright, now that's what I have! I'm sure my players with throw another one or two at me, so this isn't really dead, just sitting around until I can hammer out more ships.

I may have to revisit my calculations on Encumbrance, though. Apparently, my estimate of 1.65 ENC/Ton was only true with the YT series and a few others, or was at least within the ballpark (seeing a 1.4-1.7 didn't really shock me). Some other ships go WAY out there. For example, the YV-929 can carry 150 tons, but only has 80 ENC (1 ENC/1.875 tons), while the YG-4210 has an Encumbrance of 120 but can only carry 10 tons.

But for now, I think they work. Now I can do some groundwork into what will be needed for those larger ships ^^;

I would feel a lot better if the Guardian was Silhouette 5 considering the large crew and ten (!) fighters (external racks or not). Of course, at Silhouette 5, I'd suggest upping HTT and SST.

I would feel a lot better if the Guardian was Silhouette 5 considering the large crew and ten (!) fighters (external racks or not). Of course, at Silhouette 5, I'd suggest upping HTT and SST.

That was one of my debates. It's length is the right size of Silhouette 4 (under 50 meters), but the height is on the cusp of being between them.

Also note that the racks are for TIE fighters, and you can normally fit 2-3 TIEs in the same length of space as an X-Wing in previous versions of the games (and the comment is made quite often in novels).

The crew iss one of those things that is just really odd. The d6 version claims 16. Wookieepedia claims 20 with 10 fighters. The d20 version has the crew as small as 2 and as high as 8. I went with the required two (pilot and co-pilot), while everyone else is there to make life that much easier.

I can see your concerns, though. For argument's sake, what would you think of the following changes:

Silhouette 5

Defense: 1/1/1/1

Hull: 40

System:26

I'm wary of raising the HT higher than 40 as we are getting closer to much larger (and legitimate) warships. I think the max I'd put it is around 45 with the Armor 4; again, it's a small picket ship, not a pocket ISD.

System can be raised to be closer to the 30 mark; I was looking at the 20s in my first writeup, but we don't see many smaller warships/picket ships just yet, so I don't have much to base it on (I think the closest thing at the moment is the Citadel-class).

Any opinions, HappyDaze?

Edited by LibrariaNPC

That looks better to me. I see that vessel as being comparable with the Gozanti (from AoR).

That looks better to me. I see that vessel as being comparable with the Gozanti (from AoR).

Ah, I forgot that the Gozanti was in AoR. I'm still reading through the book to see updates/changes; just hit the Starship chapter during my break yesterday. I'll make a few comparisons and see if there's any further changes that need to be done.

Was there anything else for this or the others that was blatantly in need of work?

I can't comment on some of them, possibly for the same reasons you won't stat some of them. ;)

I can't comment on some of them, possibly for the same reasons you won't stat some of them. ;)

No worries on that front! Thanks for all of the input you are/were able to offer, though!

I had the chance to look at the Gozanti in my copy of AoR during my dinner break, and while they are comparable in size, I think the Gozanti is the better overall warship, which is why it's still much lower stat wise.

Think it's sound logic and meets the writeup, then?

SynysterDreamer, I've sent you the first draft of a Pelta. Enjoy that and let me know what you think!

I'm looking through a few more books and checking if there are any other freighters that catch my eye before I start capital ships, but as time to root through books looking for things to stat takes more time than knowing what I need (like a few key capital/gunships for my upcoming game) or I'm asked for, this might still be a while.

I'll keep this going whenever I can and will work on requests as they come up (as long as I'm able to, of course).