X is the Question

By kriptoman67, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I just got the starter set and was going through the cards and the rules and noticed that on some cards it said "for X" or "use X" but the rule or card doesn't tell you what "X" is can anyone explain and tell me what "X" is or is worth. Thank You.

I just got the starter set and was going through the cards and the rules and noticed that on some cards it said "for X" or "use X" but the rule or card doesn't tell you what "X" is can anyone explain and tell me what "X" is or is worth. Thank You.

Welcome to the game!

The cards will always tell you what X is. In the Core Set there's two cards that use X as a variable:

Chella, Daughter of Cheyk

After you win a challenge in which at least 1 Clansman character participated, pay X gold to choose and return a location to its owner's hand, where X is the printed gold cost of that location.

X is the printed gold cost of the chosen location, it says so right on the card.

I Never Bet Against My Family

Pay X gold and kneel a House Lannister character to lower an opponent's claim by X (to a minimum of 0) for the duration of the challenge.

I can see how this one might trip you up. Well, it's simple: X is whatever amount of gold you decide to pay.

HTH.