Why use a battle action when you can make an attack plus aimed attack?

By SuperKalelJorson7, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Why use a battle action when you can make an attack than an aimed attack?

Well, at least I think this it's a legal move to place an aimed order, make an attack then remove the aim order and place an aimed attack. This seems to be much better than doing a battle action which gets you the same results without the re-roll of aimed attack.

Unless I'm getting the rules wrong.

You are interpreting them incorrectly. The Aim order simply lets you re-roll that initial attack.

An Aim order does not give you an attack, it simply allows you to reroll your next attack.

For example...

With your two actions from a ready action, you could

1, Place an 'Aim' order

2, Make an attack (which, because of the Aim order, you can reroll)

In this example, you probably wouldn't bother placing the 'Aim' token because you lose it straight away by making the attack.

Or you could

1, Move/Attack

2, Place an 'Aim' order.

On your next turn, if your first action is an attack, this attack will be aimed (assuming you have not been wounded and still have the Aim order). This tactic is useful when you have cleared an area and are preparing to open a door to a new area on your next turn.

Make sense?

inle_badger said:

An Aim order does not give you an attack, it simply allows you to reroll your next attack.

Or you could

1, Move/Attack

2, Place an 'Aim' order.

On your next turn, if your first action is an attack, this attack will be aimed (assuming you have not been wounded and still have the Aim order). This tactic is useful when you have cleared an area and are preparing to open a door to a new area on your next turn.

Make sense?

To clarify point 1. That's move OR attack.

Aiming allows re-rolls of your next attack. You have to have an attack available to aim it. You get attacks by advancing (1 attack), battling (2 attacks) or readying and choosing to attack instead of move along with your ready order.

In reality, there is usually almost no reason to aim, since you can battle and basically "re-roll" all your dice. In general, even if you miss the first attack, you still have another one.

Aiming is most useful when you are dealing with something with high armor, where you really need to get through and want to make sure you can get every die to count...this is especially worth it when you are in rtl using power potions and also possibly spending fatigue to make sure your attack is successful and can get its maximum damage.

In vanilla, I almost never aim with my heroes, born to the bow notwithstanding. This is because in general two attacks can equal two kills on a weak monster and 1 kill on a stronger one, whereas 1 aimed attack is still just 1 kill on a weak monster and likely still not a dead big bad.

Thanks, I was reading the Aim order as an attack by itself. This makes more sense.

Okay, now I'm actually feeling like, "Duh, I should have known that."

Don't feel bad... misinterpreting Descent rules just means you are human. :)

What if I want to be an Orc instead?

Noir_fleuri said:

What if I want to be an Orc instead?

ummmmm...you can be if you want to.....????

I always thought that it cost an action to aim and then another to fire

Tiny Ogre demonio.gif

Oh yer just read other statements realised that only gives reroll

Tiny Ogre demonio.gif