Dealing damage timing problem

By wlmiii, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

Hi all! Just picked up Warhammer: Invasion this past weekend, and my wife and I love it! We ran into a damage timing problem that we couldn't figure out, even looking at the FAQ and Errata section on timing. Here are the cards we had in play:

Quest: Defend the Border, with a unit questing on it, and 4 resource tokens on the quest already built up (my wife's card).

Unit: Chaos Knights, with the Sadistic Mutation attached to it (my card in my Battlefield).

The quest Defend the Border says: Quest: While Defend the Border has 3 or more resource tokens on it, redirect the first point of damage done to your capital each turn to another target unit or capital.

The Sadistic Mutation says: "Forced: When the attached unit deals damage in combat, deal 1 damage to one target unit or capital."

Her Kingdom is burning, and her Quest Zone has 5 points of damage on it - I only need 3 more to get the win!

It is currently my turn, with my Chaos Knights in my Battlefield. I target my wife's Battlefield, which has no defenders, and thus do 3 damage to her Capital.

The Sadistic Mutation attachment on my Chaos Knights allow me to deal 1 damage to one target unit or capital, so I decide to target her unit that is questing, which only has 1 defense, but, her quest allows her to redirect the first point of damage to her capital, which only brings the total damage on her Quest Zone to 7 instead of 8.

I understand the rules regarding "In response to..." (last in, first out in the "chain"), and we looked over the timing issues in the FAQ, but the whole problem is that her unit being destroyed AND my damage to her unit (from the Sadistic Mutations attachment) happened at the SAME TIME (at least we think so - maybe this is the problem?) - it wasn't as though either action was really in response to the other, so we aren't sure how to correctly resolve this.

Do these occur at the same time? And I guess thinking about this, if things happen at the same time, should the active player get to apply their action/damage first, sort of how they are first in assigning/applying damage in combat, and somewhat similiar to the active player being 'first' in regards to timing issues as described in the FAQ? Or maybe I'm overthinking this, and the order is:

1) Chaos Knights damage enemy capital;

2) Enemy's quest allows 1 damage redirect;

3) THEN, I deal damage to the questing unit destroying it, and thus the resource tokens on the quest are removed.

My main goal was that "Aha! I can prevent you from redirecting 1 point of damage on your capital and get the win because my Chaos Knights will destroy your unit which is questing, so you lose all the resource tokens and can't redirect 1 damage from your capital! The forces of Chaos have finished you!!!! :-D

Thanks for any answer to this - we really appreciate it! If we're wrong here in how we think about the timing that I listed above in the steps 1), 2), and 3), please let us know!

Bill

Ok, here's the breakdown of the situation:

1. the Chaos Knights attack the battlefield; since there's no defender, 3 damage are assigned to the battlefield zone. Since the Sadistic Mutation allows an additional damage only when the damage is dealt , the Forced effect cannot be activated yet.
  2. the Constant effect of Defend the Border takes effect, so 1 damage is redirected by the defender ( "damage is always redirected after it is assigned and before it is applied" , see the FAQs), and the damage to the battlefield zone is reduced to 2.
  3. if there are no other actions/effects played, damage is then applied , and the battlefield zone suffers only 2 damage (the other point of damage is redirected and applied accordingly to the defender).
  4. the Sadistic Mutation Forced effect can be activated, and the attacker deals 1 damage to the questing unit on Defend the Border , destroying it (and the tokens on the quest are removed).

hope that helps :)

Thanks Silent Wolf - your answer helps. What's difficult is remembering all the specific timing details with a new game, so I'm sure that I'll remember them as time goes on. I'll definitely read over the rules and FAQs often to reinforce them.

Appreciate it!

Bill