Published Adventures?

By IcyCat, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

I'm not familiar with any FFG RPGs (though I'm well versed in some board games and LCGs). I've played Pathfinder and D&D, and I know that with both of those the publishers release "official" published adventures and campaigns. Does this happen with FFG RPGs? I'm thinking about picking this up when it comes out, but I'd like to have some of pre-made adventures since no one in my area is familiar with the game.

FFG 's pattern with the WH40KRP line has been to release the Core Rulebook and GM Screen (which contains a short adventure), then an adventure book with three short-ish scenarios, then a supplement to the Rulebook (containing the overflow that wouldn't fit), then launch a trilogy of adventures, alternating with focused supplements; I would be willing to bet that they will continue that pattern with DH2 .

Edited by Adeptus-B

Sadly, it seems that Black Crusade has been the exception to this (so far). *Fingers crossed* ;)

But yes.

I'm not going to complain though since that Tome of Decay book has been recently announced.

Edited by Gridash

There's a whole bunch of published adventures for DH1 and the other 40k lines, which could be adapted relatively easily for DH2. Especially if you just need story arc/NPC stuff. The mechanics stuff hasn't changed too much either, so it might be worth looking into.

The 40K RPG lines have all had adventure modules published in a fairly similar order to 1st edition Dark Heresy. So here's a list of the adventure modules published for 1st edition Dark Heresy, and the books they're in:

• Shattered Hope - Introduction adventure for DH1e, freely available from FFG
  • Edge of Darkness - Introduction adventure for DH1e, freely available from FFG
  • Illumination - The Core Rules (DH01)
  • Maggots in The Meat - GM's Screen (DH02)
  • Rejoice For You Are True - Purge The Unclean (DH03)
  • Shades of Twilight - Purge The Unclean (DH03)
  • Baron Hopes - Purge The Unclean (DH03)
  • The House of Dust and Ash - Disciples of The Dark Gods (DH05)
  • Tattered Fates - Haarlock's Legacy 1 (DH07)
  • Damned Cities - Haarlock's Legacy 2 (DH08)
  • Dead Stars - Haarlock's Legacy 3 (DH09)
  • The Red Wake - Ascension (DH11)
  • The Black Sepulchre - The Apostasy Gambit 1 (DH13)
  • Church of The Damned - The Apostasy Gambit 2 (DH14)
  • The Chaos Commandment - The Apostasy Gambit 3 (DH15)
  • Jurisdiction - The Book of Judgement (DH17)
  • The Light of Reason - The Lathe Worlds (DH18)

Counting the two freebie intro adventures, that's a total of 17 adventure modules. For a line with a total of 18 books. Basically, I'm sure FFG has you covered. And even if they publish far, far fewer adventure modules for 2nd edition for some reason, the adventure modules for 1st edition have almost no compatibility issues with 2nd edition.

EDIT: Additionally, Call of Cthulhu adventure modules tend to be fairly easily portable to Dark Heresy, and there's an enormous amount of those. And many are arguably better than any of the adventure modules FFG have created so far.

Edited by Simsum

Trail of Cthulhu stuff is fairly compatible too, if you like investigation heavy campaigns. Although I guess that's a given; DH is really just CoC/ToC in space, with more rocket launchers.

Trail of Cthulhu stuff is fairly compatible too, if you like investigation heavy campaigns. Although I guess that's a given; DH is really just CoC/ToC in space, with more rocket launchers.

Would you say that the Trail of Cthulhu/Gumshoe mechanics for investigations are compatible with DH? I'm not familiar with Gumshoe, but the DH rules on investigation are sadly lacking IMO.

I've heard praise for Gumshoe in this regard. But then I also recall that someone on these boards described Gumshoe as basically buying Clues with points.

Would you say that the Trail of Cthulhu/Gumshoe mechanics for investigations are compatible with DH? I'm not familiar with Gumshoe, but the DH rules on investigation are sadly lacking IMO.

I've tried to make an effort to point out the failboat state of past and future DH when it comes to investigations, so no argument there.

Unfortunately the systems are about as incompatible as they can be. But if you're into PDF's the Gumshoe games are reasonably inexpensive, and both Trail and Night's Black Agents are good reads for a GM running investigation heavy adventures, whatever the system. Esoterrorists probably is too, but I haven't actually read that one. Anyway, it might be a good idea to buy whichever one sounds most awesome to you and give it a read.