round 1 deployment chicken

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

i was just reading the little FFG has released about the game and i think i have found a nice trick to gain a slight advantage on turn 1

assuming you have initiative and you can win a warlord Vs warlord fight you can force your opponent to either deploy the first unit or give you the first planet.

my understanding of deployment is that each player (starting with the player with initiative) alternates spending resources to deploy a single unit until both players pass consecutively.

If as the player with the initiative you pass on your first deployment you opponent must either deploy a unit (giving you a slight deployment edge) or pass, meaning that the only units deployed will be the warlords (baring some event card that allows you to deploy units)

if you opponent passes and you can win a warlord Vs warlord fight simply send you warlord to the 1st planet and capture it while you opponent sends there warlord elsewhere (or fights you and loses). both players get 1 command win 1 battle effect and the player initiative gets the first planet.

other uses of this could be to try and force a battle between warlords by guessing at where your opponent will deploy there warlord or securing a really good battle effect

this idea also left me wondering what happens if neither player sends any troops the left most planet?

"Once a player neither deploys or takes an Action, he passes, forgoing the opportunity to deploy more cards or take more actions this phase."

What Ravenwolf said !!

and make absolutely sure youve exhausted all your options before passing , no matter what phase youre in.

Ravenwolf is correct, once you pase, you're done, your opponent may finish deploying and playing actions, at this point you may only play reactions iirc.

So here's a better idea: play cheap economy cards so you have a better chance to see where your opponent will deploy.

It's worth noting the original post was made based on spoilers, before the rules of the game had been released.

It's worth noting the original post was made based on spoilers, before the rules of the game had been released.

Indeed, glossed over that due to not checking for necromancy. -.-

yeah,
It was hardly necromancy while we have only one page of topics!

Panic...