Only the Insane Shall Prosper...

By craigpearson81, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Quick question...when a character takes a fear test the modifiers to the roll are as follows:

Fear 1 (0)
Fear 2 (-10)
Fear 3 (-20)
Fear 4 (-30)

Now, it says on page 237 that if your insanity points are for example 22, you are imune to creatures with Fear 1. Does this then alter your future fear modifiers to as follows?

Fear 1 (Immune)
Fear 2 (0)
Fear 3 (-10)
Fear 4 (-20)

I can't find anywhere that says that, its just a logical presumption.

"Logical" and "Insane" are kind of mutually contradicting, so...

It's certainly a valid houserule, but the actual rule just says you are immune against Fear 1/2/3/4, just like Jaded makes you completely immune against non-supernatural fear, but leaves you vulnerable against even lowly Fear 1 stuff that is a little warpy.

That actually sounds like a good idea. It's a kind of been there done that it would be scarier with an extra tentacle though kinda thing. While i'm not sure with the actual rules I may use them as a housed rule like Cifer suggested

Cifer said:

"Logical" and "Insane" are kind of mutually contradicting, so...

It's certainly a valid houserule, but the actual rule just says you are immune against Fear 1/2/3/4, just like Jaded makes you completely immune against non-supernatural fear, but leaves you vulnerable against even lowly Fear 1 stuff that is a little warpy.

Jaded doesn't make you immune to fear, only that you don't gain insanity points from it.

But it does make sense to remove a difficulty step from checks as you get crazier.

Good point, Rashid...

While we're at it: How do you determine whether any fear effect is supernatural for the purposes of Jaded? Some things are obvious - a room full of gore is mundane, a daemon is not. But how about some of the creatures from Creatures Anathema? For an example, take the Fenksworld Pit Thing: It's psychically active (Aura of Hate), but its look alone would probably qualify it for the Fear 2.

Thanks for the comments.

I think Jaded will really be the GM's call. What is classed as mundane? Anything Xenos wouldn't be I can't imagine. If its a mission set on your home planet (whatever that may be) that should be taken into account as you would be more accustomed to the creatures there.