Question about trophies

By Finsternis, in Talisman Rules Questions

When you encounter a monster due to a die roll on the board are you able to count that towards the Strength/Craft needed to exchange for a counter? Or are trophies only considered the cards you earn after defeating a monster?

Many Thanks!

Finster

Finsternis said:

When you encounter a monster due to a die roll on the board are you able to count that towards the Strength/Craft needed to exchange for a counter? Or are trophies only considered the cards you earn after defeating a monster?

Many Thanks!

Finster

Hi Finster,

You only get trophies if you defeat enemy cards.

Greetz

Velhart

Thanks for the quick response!

-Finster

But there are ways around it with "House Rules" that still keep it clean and simple. You will find a suggest one called "Trophyless Trophies" (as from the Cave card), in In the Balance, Part 1, Adventure Cards available at Talismanisland.com.

Where in the rules does it specifically show that you can only get them from cards that are defeated?

While I agree with this statement, under the Trophies rules it says "Strength counters may also be gained as a result of encounters" (page 14). Many people I play with say you encounter adventure cards, but you also encounter spaces. And if that space has you fighting a strength 5 enemy (that is not an adventure card), why can't you keep that defeated monster as a trophy? The Encounters section of the rules lists a space as an encounter type (page 9).

We have the above arguement every time we play (going back to the original Talisman). How do the rules support either arguement absolutely?

"Trophies
When a character kills an Enemy, he may take it as a trophy." (p. 14)

"An “Enemy” is any Adventure Card with the
word “Enemy” in the card type box." (p. 10, in the red backgrounded part)

Harrek said:

Where in the rules does it specifically show that you can only get them from cards that are defeated?

While I agree with this statement, under the Trophies rules it says "Strength counters may also be gained as a result of encounters" (page 14). Many people I play with say you encounter adventure cards, but you also encounter spaces. And if that space has you fighting a strength 5 enemy (that is not an adventure card), why can't you keep that defeated monster as a trophy? The Encounters section of the rules lists a space as an encounter type (page 9).

We have the above arguement every time we play (going back to the original Talisman). How do the rules support either arguement absolutely?

This can be compounded when you're coming to the CoC and fighting the Werewolf or Pit Fiends then. Can you imagine gaining 4 STR for killing 6 Pit Fiends?

Harrek said:

Harrek said:

You only get trophies if you defeat enemies. (cards)

Monsters on the board are creatures, so you can't take them as a trophie

See page 10 and page 14.