Different command card heroes

By Westonard, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So when do you think we might see heroes with different command card allotments, if ever? Given that tournaments are 2 regiment base with one regiment side board, I don't think that we would see a hero who grants 1 command card but has a higher recruitment pool until next year after they have the new races, not just dwarves and undead but lizardmen, skaven, wood elves, and dark elves out.

It would make your command card choices more tactical, to bring a 4 point activator, or more if they introduce them to make up for the fewer command cards. So you would wind up 'losing' a turn, but might be able to do more on the turns you do have.

IDK. I think that 2 command cards might be the minimum. I suppose someone could have a one card allotment, but I certainly wouldn't play him in anything less than a three regiment game.

I would expect a hero that gives you the ability to carry 3 command cards first. Maybe a hero known to not be the greatest warrior but an excellent tactician?

My thought was that they would have something to make up for the lower command cards, either adding one to the value of the card used to activate the hero, or a one or two point cheaper cost for a faction, or his regiment. Granted, it would require some math/double checking on your opponent's list.

Continuing on the same line of thought, if/when they introduce Khemri or Ogre Kingdoms as a third neutral faction, I could see the neutral/mercenary generals being valid in either Order or Chaos if you did a mixed unit.

The effect of having a 1 command card hero would be to make a one-regiment army completely predictable, and a two regiment army much more predictable. I wouldn't object, but it depends on what you get in return.

Also note that in order to qualify for three cards, said hero will have to be defensibly a better strategist than Kairos Fateweaver, Tyrion and Karl Franz, so the bar's set pretty **** high.

The effect of having a 1 command card hero would be to make a one-regiment army completely predictable, and a two regiment army much more predictable. I wouldn't object, but it depends on what you get in return.

Also note that in order to qualify for three cards, said hero will have to be defensibly a better strategist than Kairos Fateweaver, Tyrion and Karl Franz, so the bar's set pretty **** high.

True. Fluff wise you are 100% right. I Hadn't really thought of that. I just can't imagine dealing with the handicap of having a 1 command card hero. It would make it very likely that you wouldn't be able to activate all of your disks in the first round of the game. There would have to be some serious benefit like being able to play one command card twice or possibly allowing a better large/medium disk to small disk ratio so that you have a smaller, more elite, army to begin with.

I haven't played any 1 regiment games yet. I should try it. I'm concerned that only 2 command cards would already make a 1 regiment game too predictable.

Agreed. I think FFG agrees with you, too - the 1-hero introductory scenario, after all, includes two more command cards than it should, and almost as many units as a two-regiment game.

A 1-command card hero, as noted, will struggle to activate all the units you get with them in the turn, so practically speaking will need to have a fairly low points value of assigned troops, too. Which means that unless they have a kick-ass special ability, is going to mean they're not going to be very good - the problem is that unlike units, which have varying points costs, heroes need to be all equal.

Ways I can see them working:

• Being really bad and letting you have more than one such hero per 'regiment' - so using them as a chance to introduce 'generic' heroes such as "Captain Of The Empire", such that a 2-regiment game would be Karl Franz and 2 Captains.
  • 1 command card only lets you move some of the army - so have it be a standard-ish mechanic for easily distracted and or insane commanders who won't or can't issue coherent orders (Such as Konrad Von Carstein, Morghur or Marius Leitdorf)
  • Have 1 command card and small forces and use it for 'pure combat' heroes such as Skarbrand the Exiled One, Gotrek Gunnisson, Durthu and other characters for whom the army following them around is just an annoyance which keeps bugging them for orders in between their murder-rampages. Obviously this will need to be balanced out via stats and special abilities (and since the freakin' Everchosen is a 2-card hero, this is going to take some doing).
  • 1 command card heroes who can, as an activation ability, activate other units within short-to-medium range - command cards affect any unit but this would mean you need a hero nearby to keep the minions motivated; if skaven rat ogres and wolf rats have a 'pack animal' keyword, I can see someone like Squeel Gnawtooth having this ability to allow him to command loads of beasts when nearby . (in fact needing to keep regiments under the lash is a pretty skavenish ability generally)
Edited by Magnus Grendel

I especially like bullet 1 and 4. Generic hero's could open a lot of game play options. Including some very interesting campaign styles and there is definitely a precedent for units in WFB that need to be coaxed into fighting. These two might actually fit very well together. Generic hero's who's units are unruly mobs that need to be forced to fight.

I especially like bullet 1 and 4. Generic hero's could open a lot of game play options. Including some very interesting campaign styles and there is definitely a precedent for units in WFB that need to be coaxed into fighting. These two might actually fit very well together. Generic hero's who's units are unruly mobs that need to be forced to fight.

Agreed. Several spring to mind - anything skaven but especially slaves and beasts, brettonian peasants, Anything "mindless swarm", etc, etc

Agreed. Several spring to mind - anything skaven but especially slaves and beasts, brettonian peasants, Anything "mindless swarm", etc, etc

I like this idea. I think that right now, the focus is on epic heroes, but I think sooner or later we may get generics. I hope so! At the very least, they seem to be including some of the generic archetypes in the rank-and-file (i.e. lower powered mages, warrior priests, etc.)

I like this idea. I think that right now, the focus is on epic heroes, but I think sooner or later we may get generics. I hope so! At the very least, they seem to be including some of the generic archetypes in the rank-and-file (i.e. lower powered mages, warrior priests, etc.)

Indeed. Neither of those, of course, are the kind to be issuing orders. I can see generic captains as heroes, or possibly battle standard characters - using something like the ancestor statue's mechanic to empower nearby units.

I like the idea of some BSB characters with solid abilities such as empowerment. That would be a good unit for developing into different pathways (i.e. some empower, or maybe grant swift or another useful keyword).