Good for the young'ins?

By Wu Ming, in Micro Mutants

I was looking through FFG games for a good game that my wife and I can enjoy with our children but won't be a complete bore for us. I was wondering if MM is a game anyone has played or tried playing with their young children and how young? It looks like a game my son might like, he has already played the ypical kid type games of the snakes and ladders varity understands the rolling of dice and moving of pieces ect. simple mechanics.

Just wondering the pieces in MM look to be like tiddly winks and there is the 'launcher' aspect how friendly do you think these are for little not quite cordinated hands? Any feedback would be great. I am mostly intresed in MM as its a game I think the wife and I would enjoy and that hopefully my son & daughter can 'graow into.'

Wu Ming said:

how friendly do you think these are for little not quite cordinated hands?'

Yes, adults enjoy this game, too. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Don't worry about it. I haven't played with very young children, but, if they can distiguish "flip" from "THROW", they probably have the manual dexterity to play this game. The special powers may be a bit much for them, though. Have you tried Rattlesnake yet?

Rattlesnakes looks like a game my son would just turn into holding the eggs and walking around with them, I was also thinking of getting the Penguin game. Thank you for your response though. Do you mount the mat on something, on the old forums I think I recall people stating they felt felt underneath it. Do you play on a table or on the floor ( I imagine the latter might be uncomfitable for bending over.) I think the biggest concern would be my son trying to take the stickers off of the plastic bug discs.

This is a great game for kids! My son was 5 when we first got the game and he is better than I am! He has enough dexterity to be able to finesse his shots and to get his bugs more or less where he wants to get them (I also give him a few "do-overs"). He is able to apply the different powers of the bugs and understands all the rules. Sometimes he looses sight of the main goal (he gets obsessed with killing bugs and forgets to go after bases); however, that doesn't stop him from beating me many times. My 3 year old can do the flipping but it is really quite random where the bug will end up. He doesn't care though.

The game can be played with just the mat in the game; however, a 3ft X 3ft piece of felt placed under it will greatly improve your control over your flipping. I think it cost me about 3 bucks at a cloth store.

Thanks rcmoore that it encouraging to hear, especially regarding your three year old, my sone is three and seems to be rather adept presently and manipulaing small objects however I was a bit hesitent as to whether he might be able to flip the bugs but from the sound of it your sons are having fun and are able to play.

That's the main point though isn't. I am very glad to hear that someone has been able to play this game with the younger members of the family, my son really doesn't enjoy conventianal boardgames, which he asks to play simply because he want to play a game but quickly becomes disintereted (as do his mother and I) I think Micro Mutants will be something fun we can all enjoy. Thanks again for your reply.

Wu Ming said:

Rattlesnakes looks like a game my son would just turn into holding the eggs and walking around with them, I was also thinking of getting the Penguin game. Thank you for your response though. Do you mount the mat on something, on the old forums I think I recall people stating they felt felt underneath it. Do you play on a table or on the floor ( I imagine the latter might be uncomfitable for bending over.) I think the biggest concern would be my son trying to take the stickers off of the plastic bug discs.

Different table covers, or backings can change the way the pieces perform. I use a Battle Mat so it gives a little extra umph to the bugs. Just on a table top you do not get as much height or length to your flips. Lace, gives a very interesting texture. I have also been told that a picnic table cloth from the dollar store makes an excellent backing for the maps.

I play on the table top, as I have bad knees, and have a problem with getting up and down from the floor.

I have never had a problem with my nephew, aged 5, trying to peal the stickers off, the discs.

just wanted to add to this thread. My 5 year old absolutely loves this game. It's played 3 or 4 times a week. Every day if he had his way! My wife also joins in and genuinely enjoys playing. You can easily handicap the game. Always get a free shot or start with one less base. Although now I think he's pretty much the best player so I don't think he'll keep the extra base advantage for much longer.

My most played FFG game (in fact pretty much any game) by far. Really looking forward to the expansion.

Chris

I know this is old, but in case anyone is looking into this game; my son and I have been playing MM:E since he was 5. I've also taken this to play with my Boy Scout Troop of 12 year-olds. We've always had a great time playing. It's actually the FFG game that gets played the most at our home. I really recommend it. Younger than 5 (or really drunk), the game may be a little frustrating, as it does take a little manual dexterity to play. Rattlesnake is a better pick for 3 and 4.

Now if the dang expansion will just come out already.

Expansions are a must - come on FFGs

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .