Unmatched Protection

By stevebob13, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

They're spending 2 Destiny Points. Let them use it after they take damage if they want.

If the effect only lasted for that one round I'd tend to agree however since it lasts for three full rounds I think it's appropriate to have the PC plan ahead and activate it before they take a hit. It's a powerful effect and three rounds is a sizeable chunk of combat.

I do see your point and understand where you're coming from.

However, I would still let the PC activate Unmatched Protection after they took damage and here is why: anything you spend Destiny Points on should have a guaranteed effect on the game. If you activated this ability without knowing that you truly need it, you risk it simply being wasted.

After all, it's entirely possible that the enemies fail to hit the PC while the talent is active through no fault or malicious intention of the GM. In my mind, whenever the PCs put something so valuable as 2 Destiny Points to do something, they should get something concrete out of that.

Not to mention again "They spent how much XP to get the ability? On top of spending 2 destiny points?" The point of the ability is for the PC to be able to have an "I am awesome" moment. because they are fun. Why are you stomping on the players fun? What benefit are you getting out of stomping on their fun? A chance to kill the PC? Is that going to be fun for you? Or the Player?

Daeglan says things I agree with.

Yes, exactly. Unmatched Protection lets a PC be awesome and suffer horrible egregious damage without breaking a sweat. A GM should unleash absolute hell on a PC that pops UP just to make the PC feel like an ever greater bad ass.

I submitted this as a rule question.

How exactly does one go about doing that?

Hi XXXX,aka (2P51)

Unmatched Protection may only be activated during the PC's turn, as it cannot be activated as an "out of turn" incidental.

On Apr 23, 2014, at 3:35 PM, XXXX @ itsasecret:com

Message from:
XXXX

E-mail:
XXXX
@ itsasecret:com

Rule Question:
Can the Hired Gun's Signature Ability Unmatched Protection be taken as an out of turn Incidental in reaction to suffering damage? or do they have to take the ability before knowing if they will suffer damage?

Sam Stewart
Senior RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

There, question answered, no more arguing.

Edited by 2P51

At the top of the page in the banner are links to News, Community, etc. Last one is called more, it opens a scrol down list, select customer service which in turn offers rules question as an option.

At the top of the page in the banner are links to News, Community, etc. Last one is called more, it opens a scrol down list, select customer service which in turn offers rules question as an option.

Direct link is at the bottom of the page. No, lower...lower... and in really tiny light gray font.

Well, I disagree with the ruling but as always, it's nice that they turn out the responses relatively quickly.

I just hope every question they answer in that manner makes it into an official FAQ PDF.

Well, I disagree with the ruling but as always, it's nice that they turn out the responses relatively quickly.

Although we don't agree on this I think there is some good reasoning behind why it's this way. We don't play in the same game but like any rule I'd suggest that you see how it works RAW before House Ruling it otherwise as it may become more apparent as to why the power works as Sam says during play.