A Couple of Questions

By ObsessiveGamer, in Elder Sign

Hi all,

I'm new here - relatively new to the game, recently incredibly obsessed with it. My brother-in-law has the game, and I've been playing it on Vassal on my computer since our most recent play session, in which I decided that I can't enjoy the game until I understand the rules completely (this is how I am with any game), so I'd better play it A LOT solo before I get the opportunity to play again with others.

Anyway, my questions:

1) Terror effects are unclear to me. I understand how they work, but I've come up with a couple "exceptions" (maybe? This is why I'm asking) to their trigger:

-What if you roll the dice, and you lock any terror dice rolled on spells, but still fail to complete a task? Do you still suffer the terror effects because they were rolled, or not because they are no longer part of the dice pool?

-What if you use a clue, and terror dice are no longer showing on any of the dice after the conclusion of the clue (which may take two rolls if you're Joe Diamond)? As per the instructions, "at least one of the rolled dice" HAD "produced a terror result" - but they were no longer showing, because the dice had been re-rolled since. Have you avoided the terror? It seems like you have, because the instructions say that a player may use a clue token "before determining if he has completed any tasks on the Adventure card."

The terror result aspect of the game seems so subjective as to which rule has precedence...

2) For Mythos cards, such as Eldritch Knowledge ... In a Disturbed Mind, are spells that have already been "used" (dice have been locked on them) still considered in your possession?

I only VERY recently discovered the FAQ, which helped a LOT, but these aspects of the game are still unclear to me.

Also, on another note, Vassal doesn't seem to send Other World cards to the bottom of the deck properly. Anyone know where I go to report that? I don't think I understand the platform well enough to try to fix it myself.

Thanks, everyone! GREAT game, FFG!

Disregard my answer. I don't know this game nearly well enough, it seems.

Edited by Tibs

I would disagree with Tibs on a couple of these points:

1.) Locking a terror result on a spell does not mean you didn't roll it. The terror may be needed for a task later, but if you can't complete a task, you should still suffer the terror effect, regardless of whether you save it on a spell or not. In general, I follow the "whatever hurts the investigators most" interpretation.

2.) Once you lock a die on a spell, the spell is no longer uniquely yours. Any player can use the die result on the spell, so it's communal. I guess you could argue that the mythos card would then affect everyone, but I would argue that once the spell is used to lock a die, it's no longer in any individual investigator's possession, so the mythos card would have no effect in that case. Of course, spells that haven't been used and are part of your collection of items would be considered in your possession.

Totally agree that clues allow re-rolls, and would negate a terror effect if no terror were saved and none were rolled on the re-roll(s).

Now, should you acquire the expansion, the question comes up about whether you suffer terror effects if you're cursed and roll a terror result on the curse die as well as a single green, and can't complete a task. I say you would still suffer the terror effect, and lose the terror die with the curse, but the rules contradict themselves a bit in this regard. Again, whatever hurts the players more, I say....

Obsessive Gamer,

Please take these recommendations from someone who played the game with Richard Launius back in 2011 and posted the first Forum FAQ based on those games. As to your inquiries:

1) Terror effects are unclear to me. I understand how they work, but I've come up with a couple "exceptions" (maybe? This is why I'm asking) to their trigger:

-What if you roll the dice, and you lock any terror dice rolled on spells, but still fail to complete a task? Do you still suffer the terror effects because they were rolled, or not because they are no longer part of the dice pool?

Yes, you will suffer the consequence of the Terror Effect...if you must remove Terror results, you will not have the die to place on a Spell. If however, the Terror Effect is lose one Sanity, you'll suffer the loss of one Sanity, but may place the Terror result on the Spell.

-What if you use a clue, and terror dice are no longer showing on any of the dice after the conclusion of the clue (which may take two rolls if you're Joe Diamond)? As per the instructions, "at least one of the rolled dice" HAD "produced a terror result" - but they were no longer showing, because the dice had been re-rolled since. Have you avoided the terror? It seems like you have, because the instructions say that a player may use a clue token "before determining if he has completed any tasks on the Adventure card."

Yes, you've avoided the Terror Effect as you're not finished with your roll if you've utilized the Clue token.

2) For Mythos cards, such as Eldritch Knowledge ... In a Disturbed Mind, are spells that have already been "used" (dice have been locked on them) still considered in your possession?

No, once you've cast the Spell, it may not be used against you with regard to "possessing" it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor

Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I think I'll go with the majority on terror and spells - sorry, Tibs - I do like the "whatever hurts the investigators most" interpretation. That way, even if I'm cheating, I'm cheating in a way that makes my win that much more admirable as opposed to that much cheaper. And point taken on terror and clues. :)

A question for The Professor before I make my personal verdict on spells and Mythos cards:

No, once you've cast the Spell, it may not be used against you with regard to "possessing" it.

I assume you mean that neither, then, can it be used FOR you with regard to possessing it? As in, "Add a token to the Doom track unless at least one investigator has a spell?"

Edited by ObsessiveGamer

Yep, that's the point! That spell is used, hence it doesn't count either in case of penalties or detriments

Edited by Julia

ObsessiveGamer,

Julia read my mind...she's great that way! :) Yes, if you don't claim it as a possession when it can harm you, you can't claim it when it can aid you.

Julia,

Thanks, as always, for the assist, my friend.

Cheers/Ciao,

Joe

Always happy to help, Joe ;)

Thanks, Julia and Professor!

I just had another thought, though - what about focusing? If I focused a terror die (after suffering the terror effect for failing to complete a task), then discard another die to roll again, and STILL fail to complete a task (and none of the newly rolled dice show a terror) - do I suffer the terror from the focused die? I'm guessing no, because the rulebook says you suffer the terror effects when "one of the rolled dice produced a terror effect" and you didn't just roll that focused terror - but can someone confirm this interpretation for me?

Nope, you're right: since you didn't reroll the focused die, you don't re-trigger the terror effect

ObsessiveGamer,

Julia's spot-on ~ you've already paid the " Terror Effect " penalty when you rolled the Terror result and failed to complete a Task.

Cheers,

Joe

Disregard my answer. I don't know this game nearly well enough, it seems.

I feel like this every single time I play this game.