Strong as a Mountain: Dwarf Details Incoming!

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4743

So here's the article detailing some of the incoming Dwarf units. What do you think?

This could be the antidote to the aggressive Orc list I've been playing. Certainly, as expected, Dwarves will favor a defensive strategy.

Toughness 5 basic infantry could be hell to play against.

ancestor-statue.png

karaz-a-karak-hammerers.png

flame-cannon.png

thorgrim-grudgebearer.png

grombindal-the-white-dwarf.png

venerable-runesmith.png

karak-azul-warriors.png

queen-helga.png

runic-cannon.png

master-engineer.png

as expected as well it will do a good job of countering the orcs, just like in Minis, cause well, they hate Orcs! good to see flavor being kept. This game is turning out to be more fun than the original game IMO

I never got to play the original, but now I'm thinking I missed out a bit. However, I'm glad to be jumping in on the ground floor with this one.

Interesting how both their Large disks are AoE, well, the cannon has potential for it. The Ancestor statue seems like you would want an Advance deployment zone, or to be able to control the Hill Fort unless they introduce another terrain that lets you deploy off of it. When I have the money, likely going to get a second core box, and at this rate two of each expansion, including any others that come out this year.

I'm hoping we see Slayers for the Dwarves. I always liked their fluff, and the models looked pretty good too.

Good point about slayers. Seems to me they're holding off some of the good stuff for later - no slayers, no goblins, no beastmen, no witch hunters. A lot o fpotential for small thematic expansions right there...

As you say; they need to leave something, and Slayers are a faction that would let them add both units and a Character (There's the Slayer King, whose name escapes me).

Engineers providing sustained fire from cannons. Yay! No, wait, the other thing.... Ow! Ow it burns!!!!

Slightly surprised that the flame cannon is not restricted whilst the normal one is. Also that there don't appear to be any thunderers/quarrellers/other non-war machine missile troops.

Plus; that appears to be a brewery terrain piece. Awesome.

Actually the two sides of the new terrain piece are "Dwarf Forge" and "Mine Entrance". The card is readable there in the back of the image.

As you say; they need to leave something, and Slayers are a faction that would let them add both units and a Character (There's the Slayer King, whose name escapes me).

Engineers providing sustained fire from cannons. Yay! No, wait, the other thing.... Ow! Ow it burns!!!!

Slightly surprised that the flame cannon is not restricted whilst the normal one is. Also that there don't appear to be any thunderers/quarrellers/other non-war machine missile troops.

Plus; that appears to be a brewery terrain piece. Awesome.

My guess is that the flame cannon didn't get restricted because it is limited to medium range.

Also, I don't think these are all of the dwarf units, so there is still room for thuderers or quarrellers.

I think you are right about that not being everything. Looks like they might still need to reveal a medium and small disk, and if the next wave of faction expansions do what I think and rotate who is focused, IE the next is Wood elves with Lizardmen and Dwarves, and then Lizardmen with Wood Elves and Dwarves, that is two more sets that have a chance to add something like Slayers or quarrellers or thunderers if they aren't in the Dwarf expansion.

Also re read the actual excerpt, the statue is dwarfy piece of terrain, doesn't deploy normally like I thought. Definitely likely going to get a second box of each expansion.

Edited by Westonard

I think you are right about that not being everything. Looks like they might still need to reveal a medium and small disk, and if the next wave of faction expansions do what I think and rotate who is focused, IE the next is Wood elves with Lizardmen and Dwarves, and then Lizardmen with Wood Elves and Dwarves, that is two more sets that have a chance to add something like Slayers or quarrellers or thunderers if they aren't in the Dwarf expansion.

Also re read the actual excerpt, the statue is dwarfy piece of terrain, doesn't deploy normally like I thought. Definitely likely going to get a second box of each expansion.

I'm still not sure about the second box. I'd like to see if we get official disk counts. From the sample regiments they provided, it looks like they will have 2x Runesmiths and 2x Master Engineers in the expansion, which I think of as being akin to the casters in the original box. So I think there is some possibility that this box will have more complete building options than the core. I bought 2x core boxes, and am glad that I did, but if I can avoid that with the expansions, I would very much like to save the money.

Either way, to me it looks as though this game is only getting better.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla