Question about Armies...

By diskpirate, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Is knowledge of your opponent's army meant to be known or unknown information before actual deployment? Such as what heroes/race/units/etc he or she is playing?

I have the game but haven't had a chance to play yet (I'll be playing lots tomorrow with friends) and after going through a mock setup, I found myself definitely seeing how I could make different choices in terrain or deployment zone location depending on whether or not I know what kind of army I'm facing.

I don't think the rulebook mentions this, but I could have missed something considering how surprisingly poorly the rulebook is organized compared to other FFG games and despite how cool the game is (seriously, what the heck FFG).

Thanks!

I think this also brings up an interesting distinction between Warhammer minis and Warhammer disks. I don't really know tournaments rules for minis admittedly, but I would imagine it's pretty hard to conceal all those figures rather than small piles of disks.

We'll end up playing with it as unknown info as default in case no one chimes in. I think less knowns make for a more interesting game. :)

I've usually played that you reveal armies during Phase 4 of Set-Up when you roll for Initiative. In the couple of games where we did not reveal armies until disks hit the table we found that it took too much away from the player who lost Initiative to not know exactly who they were fighting.

I think treating it like Warhammer/40k where you know what faction your enemy is playing is fine. Knowing who you are fighting ahead of time faction wise would give you a slight chance to customize your army, without completely tailoring it specifically to counter him because you know what he has ahead of time.

Warhammer Tabletop, you are allowed to know what units there are in an army, and any 'modelled' upgrades - standards, champions, etc.

You don't get to know what magic items may be scattered through the various regiments.

I would say the same approach; your opponent gets to see the unit discs - especially since (with expansions incoming) it may include units he's never seen before. What he doesn't get to see is your hand of cards.

Warhammer Tabletop, you are allowed to know what units there are in an army, and any 'modelled' upgrades - standards, champions, etc.

You don't get to know what magic items may be scattered through the various regiments.

I would say the same approach; your opponent gets to see the unit discs - especially since (with expansions incoming) it may include units he's never seen before. What he doesn't get to see is your hand of cards.

This is the way I'd do it. This way at least the first round can have some surprises in it. After that, you sort of know what you are playing against.