Alternate Loot Table

By ianinak, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

My group and I were using the Loot table by Kainrath (Found in the Compiled Resources thread) and we love it!

However, my group told me that some of the items on there were more fluff and not very useful. So I wanted to try my hand at updating it with several key goals in mind:

1. Add updated stuff from the newer books.
  2. Replace a lot of the small/cheap fluff items that the group never bothered keeping track of with things that might be worth them writing down.
  3. Nice even credits in groups of 50 for easy bookkeeping.
  4. Remove some of the potential plot hook items and trim it down to a few strong ones.
  5. Get rid of the None entries.

I also added a few house rules that I am thinking of below. I welcome feedback on any and all of this.

MS word doc here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5hzps1qr906xjs/IansEoTE_LootTable.docx?dl=0

HUGE thanks to Kainrath for the initial document that this is based heavily on (some entries are unchanged).

xYJEsJ9.jpg

House Rules for Loot

• To thoroughly search a body/container for non-obvious loot, roll a Daunting (DDDD) Perception or Skullduggery Check see if loot is present.
    • One other character may Assist on searching a body or container. If searching a room or larger space multiple people may assist as per normal rules.
    • For each Triumph result on the die, roll once on the Rare Items Table (Even if not successful).
    • If Successful, roll once on the Common Items Table, plus an additional time per 2 additional Successes beyond the first.
    • If Unsuccessful, advantage and threat are ignored.
    • The GM may spend 2 Threat to require minor repairs a looted item before proper use (as if it were a weapon), with each additional 2 Threat increasing the magnitude of repairs needed by one step. (See Table 5-4 on Pg. 159 of the Core Rulebook.)
    • A body/container cannot be searched more than once.
  • Another fun way for the GM to use Triumphs is to have the characters find some extra loot as a by-product of their actions. When player rolls a Triumph on any check that might warrant the possibility of finding some loot, roll one Proficiency Die.
    • A Destiny Point may be spent to add a Boost Die to the roll.
    • For each Triumph result, roll once on the Rare Items Table.
    • For each Success and/or Advantage, roll once on the Common Items Table.
    • Examples of checks possibly warranting loot:
      • Piloting (Planetary)- the landspeeder dislodges a partially buried wreck.
      • Perception- the character notices a secret latch in the floor.
      • Skullduggery/Computers/Mechanics/Combat checks- the character’s actions open a secret compartment nearby.
Edited by ianinak

Ack, I'm not sure why photobucket has it so small. It should be bigger.

Solid list. I sometimes like the fluff in the original list, but I might need to break this out when they're starved for utilities and I'm feeling nice.

I really like your house rules on loot rolling. I'll definitely be stealing those.

Also, photobucket will scale images down to save space. Try imgur.

Ok, changed hosting to imgur. Thanks for the suggestion Kaalamity.

Anybody else have any feedback. I'd love to hear how it goes if anybody uses it in their games.

I think some of the items are a little too 'unusual' to be taken seriously. I mean, why would someone be carrying an unused cybernetic brain implant around?

Well, that is the rare list. It isn't all that common to roll on that list, and if you do find something, it should be something interesting. Besides, this is for finding loot in general, it doesn't have to be on someone's person. It could be in a hidden compartment, a crashed speeder, smuggled into a supply crate, or any number of interesting places to find things. As for the brain implant, perhaps th eperson was a cybertech, doctor, or patient who died or lost the item before it could be installed. There are a million reasons you could justify finding anything on this list.

Are there any others specifically that you think are too unusual to be taken seriously? Would it be difficulty to find a compelling argument for what it/they would be doing there?

wouldnt it be better to just know what your enemies have beforehand and give the players that stuff?

This table is mostly for non-obvious things or if players want to thoroughly search something that might have loot. My players mostly come from many years of "kill and loot the bodies" / "open every door" mentality so they search for stuff all the time.

I'm running modules, and the enemies usually have next to nothing on them while the environments have very little to find. I use this to spice it up a bit.

Love the updated list!

List looks great, but is there a spreadsheet version instead of a pic?

Added a link for the ms word doc. Should be easily editable and convertable to suit all your needs.

Any chance to get it in a format a text to speech reader could read rather than an image?

Did the ms word doc not work?

I really like your idea, ianinak. Thanks!

I like this. I wouldn't mind more items but then again I'm always a "STUFF!" hound.

After playing with my old table and gathering feedback for a few years I have created a new one. The new one has extra columns for Gms who just want to give credit sticks. The credit amount is roughly equivalent to the item worth of the same number. I've also removed a lot of silly ones with no inherent value and added in more plot hooks and items from the newer books. The new chart has more valuable things on it because the old one was filled with underwhelming and low-credit value choices. The values may seem high, but keep in mind that splitting it 4-6 ways in a group brings it back down fast. I've also added in new rules to use advantage/threat to increase/decrease the roll, kinda like critical hits. Lastly, I have book/page numbers for quick reference. I hope you like it!

Doc file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpbcia54tv4p26g/IansEoTE_LootTable_new.docx?dl=0

evNbFSr.jpg

Nice! I think I´ll use the list since my Players are also total "let´s look in every mousehole and pocket"-Players ^^

So thanks for the hard work!

Any chance you can post your list in a editable format? Thank you.

Never mind...I saw the later post.

Edited by GarryLCorbin
Found file