Rate of Fire Fix

By LordDD337, in Deathwatch House Rules

Hi all.

This is something that my dad came up with after i run my session of DW.

His fix was to make each shot from Rate of Fire a seperate attack with no bonus from either Semi Auto and Full Auto firing modes.

Basically, the Rate of Fire gives the character additional attacks based on the Rate of Fire for the weapon modes.

Example -

The Battle Brother is firing his bolter at Full Auto Mode, which the Rate of Fire is 4. Therefore he would get 4 attacks with the weapon with no bonuses for Full Auto Mode.

What do you think?

I think this would slow down combat considerably, as you'd need to roll 4 dice. :lol:

If your group is okay with this slower pace, however ... why not, go for it! The only thing that matters is that you're having fun.

Myself, I was considering splitting the bonus from the action and make it dependent on the weapon. In short, you'd no longer get BS +10 or +20 from a burst or full auto attack, but +2 per additional bullet . The effect would be that the highest bonus (+18) could now only be reached with weapons that actually have a very high rate of fire, such as a heavy bolter, reflecting the increased chance of at least one bullet hitting the target, with a smaller chance of multiple hits. Giving boltguns their old S/2/4 profile back also would not hurt as much anymore, as the bonus would simply be BS +2 for burst and BS +6 for full auto.

Some weapons could also have a bonus of +3 per additional bullet, reflecting a more accurate spread, less recoil, or something like that. Applied to a S/2/4 bolter, this would mean a bonus of +6 for burst and +12 for full auto.

Edited by Lynata

Thanks for the thoughts.

The reason why my dad decided to fix it that way was because of the degrees of success thing resulting in multiple rounds hitting so why not remove the bonus and treat each shot as an attack on its own?

To me the fix will simplify the game alot to me and to my players. If it slows down combat, i honestly dont mind.

Yep, the bonus-to-hit was always a necessity of the abstraction, rather than perfect execution.

I suppose the designers went at it from the angle of forcing as few dice rolls as possible, so having Degrees of Success determine the amount of hits was a rather clever idea. The downside is that the bonus-to-hit does not only increase the chance of individual rounds hitting the mark, but can - assuming a sufficiently high Ballistic Skill (which can also be achieved by situational modifiers, such as Point Blank) - result in rather devastating results due to multiple bonuses stacking with each other.

Personally, I'll take that risk over multiple dice rolls (how would you handle heavy bolters?), but if you're not having a problem with the latter ... well, that's the beauty of a pen&paper game - you can modify it until you end up with something you like. House rules ftw! :)

Thanks for the thoughts there.

As for handling heavy bolters, id have the player roll every shot to see if it hit its mark.

Sure it slow down the game, but itll be an interesting game regardless watching as each die roll hits and does damage to an enemy.